• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my g.a. pedigree run
2 2

762 posts in this topic

On 1/4/2019 at 2:13 PM, Straw-Man said:

i have a pair of hap's books!

starspangled108.jpg

Did Hap ever buy a Hap Hazard? I think you have (or had) a Mohawk Valley Tomahawk, which I think is pretty cool. 

On 1/4/2019 at 12:38 PM, Straw-Man said:

not paul books, as they don't meet even a loose ped criteria imo, but yes to:  eldon, n.h., cape cod, hap langlie and cookeville

Too bad the cookeville books aren't recognized.  Not a lot of of high grade, but such an extensive collection.  I guess, though, because the marking is so distinctive, people who care know one when they see one.

That GA collection Hake's sold last year could have been recognized, although, again, not high grade.  Still, when a fresh copy of Tec 27 surfaces along with other scarce GA books, it would be nice to at least know the backstory.  I don't think it was made public, unless I missed it. 

40 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

That GA collection Hake's sold last year could have been recognized, although, again, not high grade.  Still, when a fresh copy of Tec 27 surfaces along with other scarce GA books, it would be nice to at least know the backstory.  I don't think it was made public, unless I missed it. 

I second that!! Especially since I didn't know that Hake's was auctioning books from a large collection as opposed to disparate consignments. Any information would be appreciated as to what appeared to be contained in the collection...   :foryou:

13 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

I second that!! Especially since I didn't know that Hake's was auctioning books from a large collection as opposed to disparate consignments. Any information would be appreciated as to what appeared to be contained in the collection...   :foryou:

I think they listed all the books in a single auction.  It was this auction https://www.hakes.com/Auction/PricesRealized/100008/Prices-Realized-for-Auction-223 I'm not sure if there is a way to search other than by paging through the results. There weren't a huge number of books, iirc, so that might have ruled out the collection for ped status even apart from the condition of the books being mostly mid-grade.  Still, knowing the backstory would be great.  Perhaps the family asked for privacy.

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

I think they listed all the books in a single auction.  It was this auction https://www.hakes.com/Auction/PricesRealized/100008/Prices-Realized-for-Auction-223 I'm not sure if there is a way to search other than by paging through the results. There weren't a huge number of books, iirc, so that might have ruled out the collection for ped status even apart from the condition of the books being mostly mid-grade.  Still, knowing the backstory would be great.  Perhaps the family asked for privacy.

Thanks! I will definitely check out the link. I don't mind paging thru the whole catalog as I like to gape at all the other weird pop culture artifacts and historical items as well. 

I can understand a family wanting the anonymity, but at the same time, as a collector, I love to hear the stories of those great collections of yore.  :cloud9:

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

there are some labeled ones??   i do not.  

There are some raw up for sale right now.  You can get the label, I assume, since HA recognises them and they are stamped "checking copy."

I thought about bidding on them, but one really belongs in your collection.

here is a harold curtis book.   not until i reviewed the heritage sale of all his books many years ago did i realize the vast majority did not have his signature.   it took some detective work to track down old books of his for sale when it was announced cgc would label this ped.   this'un heading off to be put in new ped holder!

boy29.jpg

On 8/21/2019 at 4:53 PM, Straw-Man said:

here is a harold curtis book.   not until i reviewed the heritage sale of all his books many years ago did i realize the vast majority did not have his signature.   it took some detective work to track down old books of his for sale when it was announced cgc would label this ped.   this'un heading off to be put in new ped holder!

boy29.jpg

Atta Boy!