• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Next Generation of All-Star ARTISTS ???
1 1

65 posts in this topic

Thought I'd bump this topic to review some prognostications from 9 years ago as well as see who people think are the future stars today. 

Seems like Felix has many artists that qualify and command correspondingly strong prices in the OA market (DWJ, Pitarra, Dragotta, Tradd Moore, Pope). I'd add names like Matteo Scalera, Jerome Opena, and a seemingly under the radar names like Farel Dalrymple and Ian Macewan. 

Also, feels to me like working on great creator owned projects may ultimately give an artist a better shot at recognition and top tier status. This may just be my personal bias though based on reading habits these days. 

10 hours ago, jaykza said:

Thought I'd bump this topic to review some prognostications from 9 years ago as well as see who people think are the future stars today. 

Seems like Felix has many artists that qualify and command correspondingly strong prices in the OA market (DWJ, Pitarra, Dragotta, Tradd Moore, Pope). I'd add names like Matteo Scalera, Jerome Opena, and a seemingly under the radar names like Farel Dalrymple and Ian Macewan. 

Also, feels to me like working on great creator owned projects may ultimately give an artist a better shot at recognition and top tier status. This may just be my personal bias though based on reading habits these days. 

I think the only bona fide newer "superstar" artists (people buy the book just for the art, sight unseen) right now are probably Greg Capullo, Ryan Stegman and Geoff Shaw. There are a ton of great cover artists out there. I would also add Sana Takeda (her work on Monstress is incredible), and a personal favorite of mine, Joe Benitez, who's not really "new" but he's been killing it on his Lady Machanika creation. I love what Nicola Scott has been doing on Black Magick as well.

There are many modern artists that I love, who are not "superstars," however. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

Even though she's digital, so there's no OA to collect, Fiona Staples has to be considered a superstar at this point doesn't she?  

And i'm not not sure if he's "new" enough, but Quitely has to be one as well.  But I feel like he's been around forever.  The man created the art for a hotel!  That has to mean something...

Edited by Pete Marino

I would not call him a new name but I really do like Guilllem March. Great cover work.

The list of names here is really extensive. Ought to make people think if the artwork now, on balance, is better than the "old masters". I think that may be the case.

I think Quietly is now an All Star especially for doing the narrative art for so many classics including All Star Superman and Gary Frank for and Doomsday Clock.  I don't own any Doomsday Clock art but if it keeps up this high level over the end of the series, I think the pages going on ebay will be considered cheap in a few years.

I think Mike Choi has taken a huge jump in skill over the last few years, especially now that he is painting comic art in acrylic.  He looks like a completely different artist.  I think Phillip Tan also took a huge jump in his skill.   

I put Bernard Chang up there to with his combination of output and skill.  I think he is really underrated.  It fills that workmanlike niche that makes comics run. 

I like the look of Mikel Janin's work on Batman.  I think he is really underrated.  Very simple enough to tell a story and not overwhelm it.  

Francesco Mattina's covers are really standing out.

Clay Mann who is doing Heroes in Crisis is terrific.

Chris Burnham is is doing Kirkman's fantastic Die Die Die and did great overlooked work on Batman, Inc, which was better than the art on Morrison's other Batman work.

Artgerm's recent run of variant covers have shown collectability and a high level of skill and popularity.

I think usually an artist has to do interiors at some point and be able to show motion or tell a story to be considered an A List artist to gain the recognition and following.  Of course the problem is the page rate is usually so low, most artists can't afford to do that much production for very long.  For example I love Eric Basaldula but if he is going to work only in markers doing nude pin ups of superheroes for the rest of his life, I don't think he will be considered an All Star.  I think this idea of doing pinups instead of narrative is what holds back Greg Land from being considered.  But Mike Mayhew's art on his recent painted covers has also made a huge jump in skill.

I really like Sean Phillips and Steve Mannion and I consider them A list based on talent, but I don't think they will be considered A List artists because their works are not in the mainstream.  Unless they do mainstream books I don't think they will crossover and have the following to be considered All Stars.   Same as Sana Takeda despite the Eisner.  

uuwfPkOzDaEr.jpg

ivbrvbpwdts01.jpg

51685CcJsiL.jpg

supergirl-16-artgerm-var.jpg

catwoman-4-artgerm.png

New-X-23-Cover.png

ZHSLAGSh_1804181645321gpadd.jpg

Heroes_in_Crisis_Vol_1_1_Mattina_Variant.jpg

Edited by Peter L
misattribution of artist

6 hours ago, Peter L said:

I think Quietly is now an All Star especially for doing the narrative art for so many classics including All Star Superman and Doomsday Clock.  I don't own any Doomsday Clock art but if it keeps up this high level over the end of the series, I think the pages going on ebay will be considered cheap in a few years.

Gary Frank is the artist for Doomsday Clock, not Frank Quitely. That said, I would consider both of them to be All Stars (though not new ones since they've each been working in the industry for over twenty years).

4 hours ago, CartoonFanboy said:

Gary Frank is the artist for Doomsday Clock, not Frank Quitely. That said, I would consider both of them to be All Stars (though not new ones since they've each been working in the industry for over twenty years).

You are absolutely correct.  It was late and I was tired.  I will edit my response.

4 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

“Anyone I collect.”

Lol. 

I collect several artists that I'm pretty sure will not become 'All Stars' as defined by this thread. While I don't personally think there is anything at all wrong with not being the 'Top Woman / Man' in their field (I'm certainly not in mine), it does seem as if, in general, it may be in poor to taste to right out say it ain't happening for so-and-so even with the follow up caveat of '... but I obviously like their work.'

Oh man, to me there's a lot of great young talent right now, especially internationally.

Pepe Larraz

Paulo Siqueiro

Robson Rocha

Jorge Jimenez 

Javi Fernandez 

Hendry Prasetya

Russell Dauterman

Will Sliney

Victor Bogdanovic 

Unfortunately, most of these guys are digital or inked digitally due to logistics. 

Also some love for 

Joelle Jones

Clay Mann

Mateo Scalera (best commissions in the business imo)

Dustin Weaver 

Rafael Albuquerque 

David Marquez

Philp Tan

Mahmud Asrar

Edited by awayne83

On 10/12/2018 at 10:37 AM, SquareChaos said:

I collect several artists that I'm pretty sure will not become 'All Stars' as defined by this thread. While I don't personally think there is anything at all wrong with not being the 'Top Woman / Man' in their field (I'm certainly not in mine), it does seem as if, in general, it may be in poor to taste to right out say it ain't happening for so-and-so even with the follow up caveat of '... but I obviously like their work.'

Nothing wrong with that. If the artist happens to do one work you love, and you can buy it, who cares what anyone else thinks? Also, some artists aren't given the fan love they deservie. Ever hear of Jack Sparling? Some of his stuff was excellent. Also some of the great artists have off days, too. Anyone care to post lousy work by great artists?

1 hour ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

From the '09 listed names, who do you consider an All Stars, now?

David Finch
Katie Cook
Frank Cho
Jimmy Cheung

What happened with Andy Brase, Steve Epting, and Dale Eaglesham ? Solid artists, but not big sellers now, are they

Finch, for sure.