• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Next Generation of All-Star ARTISTS ???
1 1

65 posts in this topic

With the decade that brought popularity to artists like J. Scott Campbell, a renewed interest in Jim Lee, and continually rising values for artists like Adam Hughes and James Jean now entering a new decade... Which artists today, either rising star or up and comer, do you see as the next all-star artist either in the world of convention commissions or with published artwork? I'd love for some of the art fans to share insight and turn each other onto new artists on the scene...

Ivan Reis.

His attention to detail is sick. Having seen some of his original art, I can tell you that his work is painstakingly drawn. Although quite skilled at capturing the human form (his Star Sapphires--whoa), Ivan truly excels in nailing down his characters' expressions and emotions. He's also been paired up with an outstanding inker in Oclair Albert, who brings out the very best qualities in Ivan's work.

I'd also note that in an era where it has become increasingly rare to find an artist who can manage the month-to-month chores of drawing a book, Ivan has managed to adhere to a very tight schedule on BLACKEST NIGHT. This is all the more impressive when considering that almost every issue of BN has been an oversized book.

I agree with Ivan Reis, just a massive amount of talent and skill.

Other names to look out for:

Stephane Roux has all the tools to be a perennial A-lister,

Charles P. Wilson new to many but a serious talent,

Andy Brase is due to become a major-mega-star,

Chris Weston keeps getting better and getting closer to perfection.

Mark Brooks has upped his skill set and overall ability amazing amounts over the last 5 years. I can't wait to see the next 5 years.

There are others but these are off the top of my head.

I second Charles Paul Wilson. His art on Stuff of Legends is amazing.

I'll even toss in David Peterson of Mouse Guard.

I'd like to see Steve Epting get a nod.

And Aja who did the Immortal Iron Fist stuff.

I think Epting has already become a star with Captain America. He can become one of the greatest ever if he chooses to be. That may mean taking on a big Marvel event series or a major team book.

I think Eaglesham just needs to be on a more popular title than FF4 and do more covers. He'll eventually be a superstar like Alan Davis when people see more and more of his work.

I think Benes and Finch are huge right now, but I suspect their popularity have peaked. What more can they do to be more popular? Same for Phil Jimenez.

Most people don't know who Andy Brase is. He's amazingly talented but is there enough of his work to make him really popular with fans? I think he has to do as many covers as AH, Adi Granov, or Marko Djurdjevic every year to be well-known.

Artists who have huge potential for the upcoming years: Simone Bianchi, Jim Cheung, Olivier Coipel, Ivan Reis, Philip Tan, Jay Anacleto, Ryan Ottley, Steve McNiven

Name to watch: Mauro Cascioli

Finally, when are people going to recognize Tom Grummett? What, does he need to work with Bendis?

Edited by Child,pleeze

Let me say Ethan Van Sciver is by far one of todays best artists :headbang:

I would agree with you if he didn't take my commission money without giving anything after a year and half. Even worse, there are a number of other fans who have had the same problem with him.

Great artist. Bad rep in the art community

While not really a "new" artist, Brandon Peterson's work has gotten so much better the last couple years that he might blaze new grounds of popularity. He's always been good but some of the stuff he's done the recently is Oh My good.

Another couple guys whose work I really like are Steve Mannion and Wade Furlong. While too quirky for mainstream appreciation, both of them are really impression. Steve reminds me of old Mad Comics (before it was a magazine) Wally Wood and Wade is channeling Alex Nino but even more unusual.

I totally agree with Steve Mannion, as a lesser known, but big talent artist who just needs to get on the right book for exposure to garner the popularity he may or may not be seeking, but definately deserves.

What do people think also of:

Sean Philips - The next Mike Mignola or Frank Miller?

Josh Howard - The next Bruce Timm or Darwyn Cooke?

Eric Basaldua - The next Jim Lee?

Stephane Roux - The next Adam Hughes?

Ale Garza - The next J. Scott Campbell?

Ian Churchill - The next Ed Benes?

Phillip Tan - The next Neal Adams?

Shelby Robertson

Michael Ryan

Mel Rubi

Paul Renaud

Tim Seeley

Budd Root (or is he already considered an All-Star?)

???

I know some of these names have been published artists for many years and far from new comers or rookies, so maybe it's just a matter of either getting the right inker, getting the right exposure (with the right publisher, characters, titles or writer), or maybe even an evolution in their art style...

I totally agree with Steve Mannion, as a lesser known, but big talent artist who just needs to get on the right book for exposure to garner the popularity he may or may not be seeking, but definately deserves.

The new Frank Miller, Adam Hughes and Neal Adams? I'll be the first to admit I'm not that well versed in the new pool of talent out there but those are some pretty big names. The established artists you mentioned are all recognized innovators. They've developed styles that spawned hordes of mimics and changed the look of modern comics. When you look back at their early works you can see they were marching to their own drummer even then. Do any of these new artists you mentioned show that kind of promise or are they just working in the styles of those you mentioned?

Let me say Ethan Van Sciver is by far one of todays best artists :headbang:

I would agree with you if he didn't take my commission money without giving anything after a year and half. Even worse, there are a number of other fans who have had the same problem with him.

Great artist. Bad rep in the art community

Well what you do is run up to him at a show and start swearing...I've always got what I wanted from a store or website by yelling and swearing...works like a charm. Try it.

...and how about artists who appear at comic book conventions who flat out just do an amazing job of high quality regardless of being published or popular?

There are so many rising stars, especially those like Michael Broussard, Sheldon Mitchell, Scott Koblish, and others who put in a whole lot of effort with good if not great results at conventions in their sketch and commission work...

...and there are others who charge $100, $300, or more sometimes where their convention commission work pales in comparision to their published work and are sometimes a tad disappointing from both the artistic and the value (for what you've paid) standpoint.

What criteria does it take for an artist to graduate to the all-star level?

Can handle a monthly comic?

Worked on high profile titles at Marvel and DC?

Paid the highest page rate?

Creator owned work?

Success outside the comic book industy?

What criteria does it take for an artist to graduate to the all-star level?

Can handle a monthly comic?

Worked on high profile titles at Marvel and DC?

Paid the highest page rate?

Creator owned work?

Success outside the comic book industy?

Takes a fan base. Then the work and $$ will follow.