• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BEWARE!! RESTORED COMIC SCAM ON EBAY!!

23 posts in this topic

BEWARE THIS SCAM SELLER!!

He buys low grade restored books, cracks them open and re-sells as raw higher grades and if you email him, he either doesn't respond or if you continue emailing, he responds that he has checked the book thoroughly and can find no restoration.

I always had my doubts about him and now I know for sure so I wanted to make you aware of it too. He was so stupid to list a book that had obvious scribble marks on the front cover.

Aside from this I hope everyone is doing well and had a safe and happy holiday!

Listed on Ebay as a 5.0 Look at the actual graded (restored) book on Comiclink:

Ebay Listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300366214474&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Comiclink Listing: http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%5Fadv%2Easp%3Fall%3Dy%26TITLE%3Djourney%2Binto%2Bmystery%26TITLEOPT%3DALL%26ISSUE%3D83%26Condition%3D%26ConditionTo%3D%26CensusRank%3D%26SearchPageQuality%3D%26Pedigree%3D%26PRICEF%3D%26PRICET%3D%26DESCRIPTION%3D%26DESCRIPTIONOPT%3DALL%26SearchRemarks%3D%26SearchCGC%3D%26EXCLUDE%3D%26CATEGORIES%3D%2D1%26WCATEGORIES%3D%2D1%26SORT%3DCATEG%26%5Fwhere%5Fforsale%3Dy%26%5Fwhere%5Fauctions%3Dy%26x%3D18%26y%3D14%26where%5Fforsale%3Dy&id=813172

err... I tried to find it to delete it but I'm having no luck.. can you email me a link please. I posted unknowly on teh wrong board and someone said to start my own message (which I did)

Sorry about that ya'll. (I'm learning)

DDinSC

If you go to the top of your page, click on the tab that says "My Stuff" (it should be in the maroon bar, unless you chose another color) On the drop down bar, click on "My Posts", and you will see a list of all your posts. Click on Edit and then click on Delete.

You can also click on your name (on the left side of any of your posts) and go to posts from there.

Good luck, it took me a while to learn, too:) but now it's easy;)

I emailed him thru ebay and he denies it the same book lol What a insufficiently_thoughtful_person

Told me he had the restoration removed!!

Makes sense. (thumbs u

In the Bizarro world a book grades much higher after the restoration is removed. :baiting:

POSTED WITH PERMISSION

Customerivegotneatstuff

Initial Question/Comment: Suspicious Account Activity

4:13:11 PM SystemSystem

Thank you for contacting eBay Live Help!

Clark J. has joined this session!

Connected with Clark J.

4:13:18 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

Hi

4:14:02 PM AgentClark J.

Hello, my name is Clark, welcome to eBay Live Help. For security purposes, will you please confirm your user name, address and phone number, please?

4:14:07 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

ivegotneatstuff

4:14:10 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

34750 Main Road

4:14:10 PM AgentClark J.

What can I help you with today?

4:14:25 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

hi - i am just writing to report something

4:14:36 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

which is really causing damage to our hobby

4:14:39 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

via ebay

4:14:52 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

in this case...the comic book collecting firled

4:14:54 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

field

4:15:19 PM AgentClark J.

Ok what is going on?

4:15:23 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

it would really help if i could send you a link or two

4:15:27 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

so you will see what i am talking about

4:15:33 PM AgentClark J.

ok.

4:15:36 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?...e%3Dy&id=813172

4:15:44 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

that is a book sold on a professional auction site

4:15:59 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

it was graded by the CGC in Sarasota florida

4:16:09 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

by graded..i mean 3 experts looked at it very carefully

4:16:19 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

and assigned it a grade from 1 to 120

4:16:21 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

sorry

4:16:22 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

from 1 to 10

4:16:39 PM AgentClark J.

Ok

4:16:39 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

in this case.. restored 3.5

4:16:49 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

restored books are worth much less in our hobby then unrestored ones

4:17:28 PM AgentClark J.

I understand that.

4:17:31 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

one of your sellers is buying books like this, breaking them out of the case...and then selling them as a higher grade

4:17:42 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

calling them a 5.0 and UNRESTORED

4:17:43 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

http://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.ebay.com/outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?campid=5335807196&toolid=10001&customid=CGCForum&mpre=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300366214474&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

4:17:54 PM AgentClark J.

Ok do you have an item number?

4:17:55 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

that is an affiliate link..sorry about that..i can give you the item number

4:18:11 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

4:18:23 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

note the scribble marks on the cover...

4:18:25 PM AgentClark J.

You can also report the item right on the listing if you would like to and you can add your comments that you feel are needed for the report.

4:18:29 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

this one was easy to track by us

4:18:34 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

because of the markings

4:18:40 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

note the price it sold for

4:18:46 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

via what it cost at Comiclink

4:18:56 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

sorry..VERSUS what it cost at Comiclink

4:19:08 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

he is currently selling a multitude of other items

4:19:13 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

other comics

4:19:40 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

we strongly suspect that most if not all were broken out of "slabs" ..i.e., previously already graded..

4:19:49 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

and are being resold as higher grades

4:19:59 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

the problem for ebay is...grading is subjective

4:20:25 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

so one persons opinion of what a grade is .. is not necessarily what another persons opinion is...

4:20:35 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

so a grey area exists

4:20:39 PM AgentClark J.

What is the user ID and we can have him looked at. I would also just report the items right on the listing. There is a link on the listing that says "report Item" and there is a little flag next to it.

4:20:54 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

i know...but it is clearly not having an effect

4:21:08 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

as others have done this with his and other ebay sellers doing the same "scam"

4:21:16 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

i would really like to speak on the phone with an ebay rep

4:21:25 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

regarding this...as I and others are experts in this field

4:21:35 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3677569&gonew=1#UNREAD

4:21:46 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

that is a board /thread where this exact matter is discussed

4:21:55 PM AgentClark J.

Ok you can give us a call at 866-643-1588 if you would like.

4:22:00 PM Customerivegotneatstuff

ok

Just got a response from the seller..

Dear ivegotneatstuff,

The comics I'm selling are not restored. On the JIM #83, the restoration was slight and was removed from the comic, thus no more restoration on the comic. The comic sold for less than what a 3.5 sells for. CGC has their opinion of a grade. I know hundreds of people who have re-submitted their comics because they feel it deserves a better grade. I myself have re-submitted comics and have received a higher grade than the previous one.

- lexerific

Just got a response from the seller..

Dear ivegotneatstuff,

The comics I'm selling are not restored. On the JIM #83, the restoration was slight and was removed from the comic, thus no more restoration on the comic. The comic sold for less than what a 3.5 sells for. CGC has their opinion of a grade. I know hundreds of people who have re-submitted their comics because they feel it deserves a better grade. I myself have re-submitted comics and have received a higher grade than the previous one.

- lexerific

Yeah RIGHT :blahblah:

He knows "hundreds" of people who have done this lol This guy is a piece of work!

Just sent this to him as my "rebuttal"

Dear lexerific,

May I ask - Where on the book was the restoration removed? Can you provide before and after photos of the restoration removal? Why do you feel justified that 3 experts who have spent years grading books have inferior grading skills to your own and furthermore, how could you possibly think a book would actually grade 1.5 grades higher AFTER the removal of restoration? I've re-submitted books as well and gotten a higher grade, but that is a very rare occasion and has only happened a few times out of submitting thousands of books. In my opinion, you are warping the truth in order to make a profit and what you are doing should be outlawed. Would you be willing to share the name of the winner in your auction so these facts can be divulged to them? I'm sorry, but I am just not buying your answer or justification. In my opinion you are damaging the comic book industry by representing these books as something they are not - and taking advantage of unsuspecting buyers. Your activity is damaging eBay's reputation and as a result, damaging honest sellers like myself who look to eBay to make a living. I welcome you to come defend yourself on this thread located here (http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3680038&fpart=1) and if everything you are saying is true, I will be the first to offer my sincere apologies and retract everything I have said.

Good catch!

"aram321" won this Ebay auction at the beginning of December:

FF 1-400

And "lexerific" is now auctioning off the early issues:

lexerific's FF auctions

Look at the #6 in both auctions (scroll down the page in the original 1-400 auction). Same book.

The original seller of the FF 1-400 states that #6 has a small amount of colour touch, which Lexerific doesn't bother disclosing in his auction.

Good catch!

"aram321" won this Ebay auction at the beginning of December:

FF 1-400

And "lexerific" is now auctioning off the early issues:

lexerific's FF auctions

Look at the #6 in both auctions (scroll down the page in the original 1-400 auction). Same book.

The original seller of the FF 1-400 states that #6 has a small amount of colour touch, which Lexerific doesn't bother disclosing in his auction.

Isnt filter( the seller of the FF lot) a board member? Cant he verify who bought these books and where they were sent?

I sent him a message to ask about the FF #6:

Why did you not disclose the restoration (color touch) on this book? This is the same book you won using your handle "aram321", and the original seller clearly stated that the FF #6 has color touch.

And here's his reply, which is the same one he used for the other auction:

The color touch has been removed from this comic. It was very little and it was removed. There is no color touch on the comic. It is not restored.

- lexerific

So I wrote back:

Interesting. How did you remove the color touch without further damaging the comic? You'd either have to tear off the part of the cover that had color touch, or use a chemical to remove the ink/paint. Either way, the comic would be in worse condition afterward.

And his response a few minutes later:

The color touch was very little.

- lexerific

He may not have explained how he removed the color touch, but at least he was prompt with his reply. lol