• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
50 50

1,629 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, comicwine said:

Does the HP Scanjet 5470C also work for provided good scans for CGC books?

I don't think we have confirmation of that one in this thread.  It is a CCD scanner per HP info sheet, but the scanner bed (8.25" x 11.7") does not seem large enough for a slab.  That could be worked around by scanning comic and label separately.  There might be a OS issue due to it's age, you'll want to check that out too.

Edited by GACollectibles

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:57 AM, Louispierce said:

After reading through this thread I decided to pick up a second hand HP ScanJet 7400C for £16/$21 from eBay. I only have positive things to say about this scanner. I'll include an example scan bellow.

Infinity_Countdown_01_Virgin_Variant_Adi_Granov_Mini.png

I don't see any light bleed on top or bottom of the book -- something very impressive that I haven't been able to duplicate.

Would you mind exporting your properties file and e-mailing them to me? shopping@jaylefler.com is my e-mail address

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, NamesJay said:
On 5/16/2018 at 8:57 AM, Louispierce said:

After reading through this thread I decided to pick up a second hand HP ScanJet 7400C for £16/$21 from eBay. I only have positive things to say about this scanner. I'll include an example scan bellow.

Infinity_Countdown_01_Virgin_Variant_Adi_Granov_Mini.png

I don't see any light bleed on top or bottom of the book -- something very impressive that I haven't been able to duplicate.

Would you mind exporting your properties file and e-mailing them to me? shopping@jaylefler.com is my e-mail address

Thanks!

Any idea of how this scanner might work with GA slabs?  They are deeper, which I think is the source of the glare that often mars scans of them.

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Any idea of how this scanner might work with GA slabs?  They are deeper, which I think is the source of the glare that often mars scans of them.

I don't own any GA slabs, I only have modern size and suffer from the glare. Admittedly the glare is just a small sliver and rarely takes away from the book, but it'd be a much more nice presentation if it didn't exist at all.

Probably has more to do with the type of slab versus any kind of settings on the scanner.  The best results of any scanner I've tested are the Epson models with Digital Ice technology.  If the scan bed is too small on the Epson, you can you a stitching software to get the full book or purchase one of the more expensive models with a full legal-size scan bed.  The image quality is excellent after stitching and well worth the extra time spent IMHO.

7 hours ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

Probably has more to do with the type of slab versus any kind of settings on the scanner.  The best results of any scanner I've tested are the Epson models with Digital Ice technology.  If the scan bed is too small on the Epson, you can you a stitching software to get the full book or purchase one of the more expensive models with a full legal-size scan bed.  The image quality is excellent after stitching and well worth the extra time spent IMHO.

I'd tend to agree with you if it wasn't on every book.

On 5/20/2018 at 11:33 AM, NamesJay said:

Thanks!

I too just picked up an HP ScanJet 7400C.  I have not had a great deal of time to play with it.  My first few scans to make sure it worked did not come out with such vibrant colors.  Would love to get a copy of your settings as well.

Thanks, Brian

On 5/16/2018 at 8:57 AM, Louispierce said:

After reading through this thread I decided to pick up a second hand HP ScanJet 7400C for £16/$21 from eBay. I only have positive things to say about this scanner.

:applause:

On 4/15/2018 at 10:46 AM, thedude said:

after 13 years on these boards, finally got a legal size scanner, thanks to this thread went with the HP 7400c and of course Vuescan. 

example.

Action48fcen.jpg

Alton, while the colors look nice are the browns representative of the book?

The reason  I ask is that some scanners can make tans and foxing look MUCH worse than the book looks in hand and I do see some browning on your book.

I don't have the book in hand at the moment, here is an old photo I took of the book next to a lower grade Action #48, ( I at one time had 4 copies I think). 

the scan probably does make the edge browning look worse.

perhaps my settings are off, I am a newbie to Vuescan.

ebayphotos0012.jpg

Edited by thedude

4 hours ago, thedude said:

the scan probably does make the edge browning look worse.

It's probably due to the scanner more than the software. Some scanners just do it more than others.

My old scanner has been acting up & I need to replace it. Since most flatbed large format CCD scanners are either 10 years old or really expensive I am wondering if a portable scanner would work. I know there isn't much choice out there for flatbeds; Microtek, Epson & HP. I am currently using an HP Scanjet 8270, but have never liked it. Aside from software issues from day one, there seems to be a heavy glare and/or rainbow effect on every scans of my CGC books. I have noticed that many examples in the thread have similar glare. I am guessing HP products.

My first scanner was a microtek v6sul. I liked the images it produced, but that one broke. I recently bought a used one on ebay & had lots of compatibility issues with windows 10. Even Vuescan software doesn't have drivers for windows 10. So, I had to set it up on an old laptop (windows 7) only to find that there was a defect in the scanner. Every image had a vertical line from top to bottom.

Long story short, I looked on the forums here as a reference in the past, but most of the recommendations are a couple years old now. 

Looking for any advise/ suggestions. Here are a couple of scans from the Scanjet. And Microtek scans further down.

jim047a.thumb.jpg.ae5e72b438ef53b853260ea4a88d13d0.jpgjim048a.thumb.jpg.faed875c653b779fe7c80121ce15f7f2.jpgtos013a.thumb.jpg.276f2c5ed5dfeb3f454cbbb6446f4540.jpg

Here are the same books from my original V6Suljim047a.jpg.c2c19a4e5b54f7c01f7e92189f57befc.jpgjim048a.jpg.775c07e9884761996391517b09a36990.jpgtos13a.jpg.19d8979166eaf205cabdee199e17df8b.jpg

9 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I just got a scanjet 8200 and I am not real happy with it so far. I will post a scan tonight. I get that halo between the top of the book and the label. I am using vuescan but haven’t paid for the version. 

Here is the scan off the 8200 I just picked up.

2018-10-16-0002.jpg

20 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Here is the scan off the 8200 I just picked up.

2018-10-16-0002.jpg

I use an HP 8300 with VueScan and it's typical to get some glare.  The thicker the slab, the worse the glare.  Sometimes pressing down (gently!) on the slab while scanning can help some.  But with GA slabs it's very tough to eliminate the glare.

So far as I know, there's nothing in the paid version of VueScan that helps eliminate the glare (although I like VueScan for other reasons).  

Edited by Sqeggs
Clarification

9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I use an HP 8300 with VueScan and it's typical to get some glare.  The thicker the slab, the worse the glare.  Sometimes pressing down (gently!) on the slab while scanning can help some.  But with GA slabs it's very tough to eliminate the glare.

So far as I know, there's nothing in the paid version of VueScan that helps eliminate the glare (although I like VueScan for other reasons).  

Thanks for the info, big help.  I was assuming I needed the paid version to get rid of the watermarks

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:
11 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Thanks for the info, big help.  I was assuming I needed the paid version to get rid of the watermarks

The paid version lets you adjust the color and brightness and stuff like that to get the scan to better represent the book.  But it doesn't have the ability to fiddle with parts of the image Photoshop-style.  At least not so far as know.