• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Greengiant said:

Question for owner of HP Scanjet 8200:

I bought one after reading this thread and really enjoy it. One of the issues that does come up is when i scan something, at times it will start and then speed ahead and hit the end and continue to click. I just pull the plug and let it restart. Anybody else have this issue and find a solution?

Yes. I find opening VueScan and waiting for the scanner to say ready ensures it doesn't do that. Happens to me when I hit scan and it still says processing prior to saying ready. 

17 hours ago, Greengiant said:

Question for owner of HP Scanjet 8200:

I bought one after reading this thread and really enjoy it. One of the issues that does come up is when i scan something, at times it will start and then speed ahead and hit the end and continue to click. I just pull the plug and let it restart. Anybody else have this issue and find a solution?

Yep. My 8250 did that about 3 weeks ago. I just unplugged it, cursed a couple of times, and plugged it back in. It's never done it again.

I just figured it was showing signs of dying. I bought it used and the power button has never worked, plus all of the other buttons only work some of the time. I power it on/off with the cord and everything else is done thru VueScan.

My Epson 15k has the li ghb ht issue you are referring to.  It really depends on the slab and probably more specifically the insert sleeve holding the comic.  I noticed some of my recent Fat Freddy's Cat which are smaller comics have the good ol sleeve pressed against comic contact Newton Rings.  These were submitted last year

On 5/17/2020 at 9:33 AM, labratnotincluded said:

My Epson 15k has the li ghb ht issue you are referring to.  It really depends on the slab and probably more specifically the insert sleeve holding the comic.  I noticed some of my recent Fat Freddy's Cat which are smaller comics have the good ol sleeve pressed against comic contact Newton Rings.  These were submitted last year

Thanks for confirming. 

On 5/14/2020 at 2:56 PM, RedGiant said:

I use a HP 8350 which I think does a good job, but the 'light issue' drives me crazy.  Depends on inner well of slab, some books don't have it all, most have a tiny bit (see 2nd and 3rd example below), but some are pretty awful (1st image below), bottom of this slab.  Light bouncing off inner well and being captured in image.  Most users have this at the top of their scans, I put mine in upside down and flip them in software.  I've tried pushing on slab with pressure on flatbed, doesn't help.  Lid open, lid closed, nothing seems to help.

I realize I could take pics, set up a light box, etc. - but would like to stick with a scanner if possible.

Anyone using the MicroTek i800 that can comment on 'light issue'?  I believe that is the scanner that CLink uses and it seems they never have 'light issues' - can anyone confirm?  I also wonder if the high end Epsons 15k, 20k, 50k - have the 'light issue'?  

2020-05-02-0043.thumb.jpg.52eab0390e7edf5200e40e5a197492f5.jpg

Okay, I took the plunge and found a used Microtek i800 to test this out.  The 'light issue' on the HP was driving me insane.  Still futzing with the settings, but special thanks to @Ghost Town for getting me started and @MrBedrock for giving me confidence the i800 might solve my issues with the HP.  For comparison purposes - above is the HP 8350, below is the Microtek i800.  Seems 'light issue' problem solved.  Putting this here in case others searching for same info in the future. 

cfdtest114.thumb.jpg.284b8edac74d207f5eb7894464956daf.jpg

Edited by RedGiant

On 5/14/2020 at 5:56 PM, RedGiant said:

Anyone using the MicroTek i800 that can comment on 'light issue'? 

Sounds silly, but try rotating the slab 180 degrees in the scanner. 

On 5/28/2020 at 6:35 PM, RedGiant said:

Okay, I took the plunge and found a used Microtek i800 to test this out.  The 'light issue' on the HP was driving me insane.  Still futzing with the settings, but special thanks to @Ghost Town for getting me started and @MrBedrock for giving me confidence the i800 might solve my issues with the HP.  For comparison purposes - above is the HP 8350, below is the Microtek i800.  Seems 'light issue' problem solved.  Putting this here in case others searching for same info in the future. 

cfdtest114.thumb.jpg.284b8edac74d207f5eb7894464956daf.jpg

What scanner software are you using and what settings?  I took the plunge on an i800 because of your post and the fine scans but when I scan, it's still giving me the glare

Epson 15000

EWkTZfF.jpg

Scanmaker i800

LXn86od.jpg

Edited by labratnotincluded
added pics

Glare definitely looks better, but that specific inner well may glare no matter the scanner?  My CFD Calendar had a similar glare on a HP and completely disappeared with the I800.  I'm using VueScan on a mac.

Edited by RedGiant

1 minute ago, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:

What program are you using along with the 8300?

Vuescan

Also put a towel on top of it and also flipped it.  Same thing happens. 

Edited by Buzzetta

1 minute ago, thunsicker said:

Did you remember to sacrifice the chicken before using it and to remove your shoes?

I am already in trouble with the village for making chicken soup on my front lawn.  Shoes were already sold on eBay.   I've been working from home. 

6 minutes ago, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:

Afterwards, I open with GIMP and slightly correct the brightness and contrast (scans are a bit bright)

After above adjustment

Just tried your settings and I got the same glare in the same spot.  I am beginning to think that it is the slab. 

Thanks though... I appreciate the time and effort.  

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Just tried your settings and I got the same glare in the same spot.  I am beginning to think that it is the slab. 

Thanks though... I appreciate the time and effort.  

I'm thinking it's because of the older style inner well. I've had the same issue in the past with a couple of them.