• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
50 50

1,629 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:

I'm thinking it's because of the older style inner well. I've had the same issue in the past with a couple of them.

Yeah, I think you are right... I just slid a piece of paper in between the slab and the inner well and its definitely not the shell... must be the inner well. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Not a Legal Scanner question... but a Vuescan settings question 

I was planning on using my HP 4520 to scan some photos from the 1940's and 50's.  

Can anyone, if familiar, recommend some decent settings for old b&w photos?   I ask here because many of us use Vuescan. 

11 minutes ago, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:
26 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Change your "Preview Scan Resolution" to 72 dpi. 

But if I end up saving the preview, it's saved at 72 vs 300.

Can you save the preview in VueScan?  If so, why would you want to? 

1 minute ago, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:
7 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Can you save the preview in VueScan?  If so, why would you want to? 

I see your point, everyone's got their preferences. (thumbsu

(thumbsu
For me it's just a time saver.  A 72 dpi is a lot quicker than a 300 dpi preview.  

On 8/2/2019 at 4:15 PM, GACollectibles said:

UPDATED LIST:

(added)

Epson GT-15000

Epson GT-20000 (corrected model number)

HP 7310

HP 7400 (7710 is the actual number for a search)

HP 7400C (added)

HP 7410 All-in-one.

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

HP 8390 (according to HP specs)

Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus

Microtek V6UPL

Microteks 9600-9700-9800

Not yet confirmed(but I'm still thinking of giving it a whirl!)

PLUSTEK OPTICPRO A320

Im looking to buy a scanner and have a question about compatibility of some of these scanners. I use Macs and some of these scanners listed are a little older and the software is 32bit not 64bit. I know if i drop $1300+ on a pro grade graphic arts scanner, I would be ok, but is there any middle ground? Im not looking for a refurb or used either. HP's new scanners look like document feed only. Has anyone tried the Xerox Documate 4700? New for around $550. Thats the only scanner that i can find readily available that fits the price point and size needed.

5 minutes ago, Calm-Mix said:

Im looking to buy a scanner and have a question about compatibility of some of these scanners. I use Macs and some of these scanners listed are a little older and the software is 32bit not 64bit. I know if i drop $1300+ on a pro grade graphic arts scanner, I would be ok, but is there any middle ground? Im not looking for a refurb or used either. HP's new scanners look like document feed only. Has anyone tried the Xerox Documate 4700? New for around $550. Thats the only scanner that i can find readily available that fits the price point and size needed.

The Xerox Documate 4700 will not work as it uses CIS Imaging Sensor, it needs to be CCD.

Most of the off the shelf scanners today are CIS, the CCD are harder(and sometimes way more expensive) to find if you don't want a used or refurbed model.

I don't know anything about the software compatibility, maybe someone else here does.

Edited by GACollectibles

On 2/20/2019 at 8:36 AM, GACollectibles said:
On 5/10/2018 at 8:26 AM, GACollectibles said:
On 11/9/2016 at 5:54 PM, GACollectibles said:
GACollectibles said:
  Swanson6676 said:
Just to clarify...any scanner using CIS technology is no good for scanning slabbed books, correct?

Also, does anyone have a list of current scanners or all-in-ones that use CCD and can fit the CGC books? I just contacted Epson and I was told that none of their current CCD models can fit anything bigger than 8.5x11...except for a graphic arts scanner that is well over $2000.

1) Correct

2) See below for older models that can scan CGC slabs (CCD format).

GACollectibles said:
Here is a list(Thanks Sharon!) from this thread of scanners that people have confirmed as compatible for slabs using the CCD format, many suggest using Vuescan for best editing tool.

Epson GT-2000

HP 7310

HP 7410 All-in-one.

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

Microtek V6UPL

Microteks 9600-9700-9800

Most new off the shelf units are CIS format, will be blurry(see HP 8600 example above). Editing will not eliminate the blurriness.

New scanners that work (CCD) samples posted in this thread

EPSON DS-50000 new $1300+

EPSON GT-15000 pre-owned $300-1000

Scanning software issues for Mac

Ghost Town said:

VueScan definitely works with Sierra. And El Capitan.

Vuescan settings suggestions

W16227 said:
  HighStakesComics said:
Is there any way to improve the quality of scans on the HP 8200 or did I just flush $170 down the pisser? :(

use vuescan = start with KKs settings

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8942320#Post8942320

UPDATED LIST:

EPSON DS-50000 (added)

Epson GT-15000 (added)

Epson GT-20000 (corrected model number)

HP 7310

HP 7400C (added)

HP 7410 All-in-one.

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

Microtek V6UPL

Microteks 9600-9700-9800

Not yet confirmed(but I'm still thinking of giving it a whirl!)

PLUSTEK OPTICPRO A320

I'll be combing through this thread for details.  Adobe took Flash offline for good and took my HP Scanner Software with it.  Add that to the increasing problems I've been experiencing with my HP L7680 all-in-one I've had for around 10 years and I think it's time to bite the bullet and get something new. 

I've loved the scanner on my all-in-one, but the printer is too fickle to rely on anymore and the unit is far too big to justify using it only as a scanner. 

So I'll be looking for newer models of All-In-Ones as potential replacements.  I could also just get a basic printer and maybe a hand-held scanner.  Anyone have any luck with those?

On 1/3/2021 at 11:56 AM, Hawkeye22407 said:

Bumping the thread - I've seen a few lists of recommended CCD scanners, but haven't seen a list with ones that have current software / work with Windows 10...

anyone have a current recommended list?

VueScan is all you need.

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

Please explain 

Vuescan is a third party software that costs an one time fees that works with pretty well all the scanners.

I used it with my HP 8300 when I was using Windows 7 and am using it Windows 10.

It's a software that has updates on a regular basis.

I've had it for around 10 years and recommend it.  It is way faster than the HP scanner software.

3 hours ago, greggy said:
4 hours ago, Turtle said:

Please explain 

Vuescan is a third party software that costs an one time fees that works with pretty well all the scanners.

I used it with my HP 8300 when I was using Windows 7 and am using it Windows 10.

I've had it for around 10 years and recommend it.  It is way faster than the HP scanner software.

Over the last decade I've paid $35 a pop to put in on the last four laptops I've owned.  Money well spent. 

16 hours ago, greggy said:

Thanks.  I've got the trial version and I like it.  Just to be clear though, the software still won't allow someone to clearly scan a CGC slab using a CIS scanner, correct?  It must still be a CCD scanner?