• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

I'm looking to buy an all in one printer/scanner that will scan a CGC slab and work with my macbook.

I would prefer to buy something new/current as opposed to something used.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I've pretty much have given up on Apple, even my iPhone is starting to annoy me, Can't get rid of the iCloud account and the pop up is making me go insane since it keeps asking for a password for a deleted email address I can't remember the password for.

Apple for anything business related just doesn't want to happen...Last time I spend $1800 on a Macbook pro that died after 4 years. Sure it makes browsing the web a breeze and makes pictures/video look great, but that's about it. Overpriced.

I've looked high and low and cannot find a legal-sized scanner for a reasonable price anywhere (without crippling shipping).

So, I've actually been using this:

http://thegrizzlylabs.com

It is NOT beeeeautiful 2000 x whatever pixel scans of huge resolution... but for a "Stop Gap" measure, it works a treat.

I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone lloking to purchase a scanner "on the cheap" to look at your local Goodwill. I stopped by one this weekend and purchsed an Epson Perfection 2400 for $4.99 and while checking out found it was 1/2 price on all electronic items that day, so it only cost me $2.50 :) Works like new and in great condition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14263731_1725b294f8.jpg

All right, I know this thread does exist for years and I never did really read it as my old Agfa Snapscan 1212u was doing an excellent job on both raw and CGC books for the last 15 years but it died yesterday and I am now left without scanner.

Anyone could recommend me a few good scanners that will work on Windows 7 and that I can buy in a store (like Best Buy, Staples, etc.)? I don't want to hunt for used scanners on eBay or Craiglist and it seems that most scanners recommended here are old ones. I don't want to pay above $400 either.

Feel free to PM me and thanks in advance.

Thanks for the three PM recommendations!

I finally bought an Epson Perfection V550 for less than $200, not legal size but doing great on raw books.

Only problem I have compared to my old scanner is for CGC books, there is some kind of light glance at top, anybody knows how to fix this ?

Here are examples:

Howard%20the%20Duck%2012.jpg

ASM%20KS2%20CGC.jpg

That scanner looks promising. The video shows them scanning slabbed baseball cards. Hardcover books were held open and scanned. As the pages were turned, the scanner automatically detected it and scanned afterwards. The software was used to edit out the fingers that got in the picture. No more need to press a book down flat on a glass screen. Guess I need to start saving some money.

That scanner looks promising. The video shows them scanning slabbed baseball cards. Hardcover books were held open and scanned. As the pages were turned, the scanner automatically detected it and scanned afterwards. The software was used to edit out the fingers that got in the picture. No more need to press a book down flat on a glass screen. Guess I need to start saving some money.

And it's fast! I'd love to get one.

hm But how nice are the scans with this new type of scanner?

For the price tag, I'm they look great. Can't be any worse than the outdated garbage we all use now.

lol maybe so, but I would still like to a scan of both raw and graded books.

Looks like this will be next generation of scanners though.

Anybody using an HP8250 with Vuescan on an iMac using Yosemite?

My HP8250 works great now with Vuescan on Mavericks. It takes nice scans.

..but I don't want to upgrade to Yosemite if Vuescan will not work anymore.

I've been using VueScan with Yosemite ever since Yosemite was released. No problems at all. I have a Microtek scanner, but I think you'd still be fine with the HP.

I'm using Yosemite with an HP 8300 without problems. Vuescan is continually updated, so you shouldn't have a problem.

I'm using Yosemite with an HP 8300 without problems. Vuescan is continually updated, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Good Deal! I'll go ahead an update to Yosemite and see what happens.

Thanks!