• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,629 posts in this topic

Google has a new app you can download PhotoScan that works great with scanning graded comics and there is no glare. Surprised more people aren't talking about this.

GOOGLE PHOTOSCAN

Taking pictures and reworking them with software to improve the quality is pretty common for those who do not have a scanner. Some people even have built lightboxes to remove the glare on the plastic when taking pictures ( something that is not that simple to fix correctly in post processing)

A decent scanner and vue-scan - do this quickly and all at once and it is easy to batch process slabs.,.

Are there any modern scanners that work for slabs? My trusty Microtek i700 is failing. I'm struggling to find a replacement won't cost an arm and a leg to deliver.

I'm guessing no since most newer consumer grade/entry pro grade scanners use CIS instead of CCD.

Anyone had any experience with modern scanners?

I can use that type of help as well.

I'm looking into some modern CCD scanners. Epson makes some, but I'm hesitant to buy without trying.

I'm thinking about giving this one a shot. I like the 11x17 size.

I was close to pulling the trigger on the A320 --- my old HP is making a lot of "bad" noises..... Like others, I am hesitant as there is no local source where I can try and potentially return if not up to snuff. The only relevant comment I found (was on a review site so I do not know how real the concern is) --- but someone was talking about how this scanner was not the best with "depth" - and this is very important for slabs, lol....

11 x 17 is an awesome size point- I have an 11 x 17 for raws - can do 2 at a time and quick to edit down if you have the right software ( I use camera raw from adobe)

I am also new to this thread, and sorry, I haven't read through all previous pages.

Whoah. the Photoscan app. is awesome. Looking forward to trying it with slabs when I get home...

Any thoughts on the Epson Perfection V370? The price is right...

---- stand corrected on photoscan for slabs-

I do think a good scanner will give you the best image - this looks to be more than useful enough for decent slab pics ( more than enough for selling) -

The SW ----- works quick - you can frame in and take an image of a full slab.

No practice at all and not really framed great ( would also look better with a solid background) ---

73116280-BE1A-46A0-BF98-6C5ED043DF25.jpg

I would probably not use it for raws - but slabs might be worthwhile......

Edited by W16227

I am in the market for a new scanner that I want to use to scan a large number of slabs as well as raw books that I have for sale.

One of my friends has the Microtek Scanmaker i800 which does a great job with the scans but takes about 45-50 seconds including warm up to complete a scan. A mutual friend of ours has the Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus which also does a great job with the scans but only takes 5-10 seconds (with no warm up).

Although I have gotten over the $600 price tag on the Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus I can not seem to find one available in the US (this also includes the newer Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus AI which has a few extra features).

My hope is that someone can tell me where I can find this scanner or recommend a substitute.

Priorities (in order)

1. Quality scans of slab or raw book

2. Speed - If it takes more than 15 seconds per scan it is not what I am looking for

3. Available from US Seller - I don't want to worry about shipping in the event of a return

4. Ease of use - Pushing a button or having the right software would be preferable to complex settings

5. Price - Sure I would like a bargain but quality is the priority

Also, if there are any problems or quirks you have experienced it would be good to know before I buy the scanner.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Here is the list of printers (from earlier in this thread) for reference

Epson GT-2000

HP 7310

HP 7400 (7710 is the actual number for a search)

HP 7410 All-in-one.

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

HP 8390 (according to HP specs)

Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus

Microtek V6UPL

Microteks 9600-9700-9800

I think I have narrowed down my search to two scanners.

Epson GT-15000 Used ($250-350 shipped)

Microtek Scanmaker i800 Plus Brand New ($730 shipped)

Right now I am leaning towards saving a few bucks and getting a used Epson scanner. Both of these scanners produce high quality scans and are lightning fast.

Any more feedback before I pull the trigger tomorrow would be greatly appreciated.

Right now I am leaning towards saving a few bucks and getting a used Epson scanner. Both of these scanners produce high quality scans and are lightning fast.

Any more feedback before I pull the trigger tomorrow would be greatly appreciated.

I almost jumped, lol - might be worth a shot - new listing on ebay - $140 shipped, buyer protection......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson-GT-15000-Flatbed-Scanner-Power-Cord-Software-See-It-In-The-Video-Below-/162377262925?hash=item25ce70674d:g:Z1UAAOSwNnRYj6Qh

I almost jumped, lol - might be worth a shot - new listing on ebay - $140 shipped, buyer protection......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson-GT-15000-Flatbed-Scanner-Power-Cord-Software-See-It-In-The-Video-Below-/162377262925?hash=item25ce70674d:g:Z1UAAOSwNnRYj6Qh

I paid $268 shipped. It had cosmetic damage including rust like discoloration on the bottom but it works like a dream.

High quality scans (300 DPI using Epson softwate default settings) in less than 10 seconds per scan.

Mine came with the power cord and USB cord but not with any manual or software. I was able to download a PDF copy of the manual, all of the software, and the drivers from the Epsoj website.

I paid $268 shipped. It had cosmetic damage including rust like discoloration on the bottom but it works like a dream.

High quality scans (300 DPI using Epson softwate default settings) in less than 10 seconds per scan.

Mine came with the power cord and USB cord but not with any manual or software. I was able to download a PDF copy of the manual, all of the software, and the drivers from the Epsoj website.

Do you have any pictures of the scans you've done using the scanner?

These are at 300 DPI on standard settings:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Dr Chaos

These are at 300 DPI on standard settings:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Wow those came out nice! Thank you! I'm tempted now... do you think the newer Epson scanners like the 50000 model would be the same? It's kinda pricey but thinking about it.

Wow those came out nice! Thank you! I'm tempted now... do you think the newer Epson scanners like the 50000 model would be the same? It's kinda pricey but thinking about it.

I am glad you like them. When I have time I am going to have to scan the books I listed before I bought the scanner and upgrade the pictures on my older listings.

As long as you are getting a CCD scanner I would think that the higher the model number the newer / better the scanner. In theory the 30000 or 50000 should be better than the 15000 but if I were you I would check the reviews to be sure.

Let us know how things work out.

So, just trying it out so far with different scanning software too.

With Vuescan (ignore the watermark) 23.1 MB:

xJnOCMPl.jpg

With HP Easy Scan 8.4 MB:

mWVxivQl.jpg

The only thing I do not like is that the hinge on top does not expand. So if you put a slab on the flatbed, the cover doesn't lift up to accommodate the thicker material. Not a huge issue as a big piece of paper (or in the case, a piece of cardboard) work okay.

So, just trying it out so far with different scanning software too.

With Vuescan (ignore the watermark) 23.1 MB:

With HP Easy Scan 8.4 MB:

The only thing I do not like is that the hinge on top does not expand. So if you put a slab on the flatbed, the cover doesn't lift up to accommodate the thicker material. Not a huge issue as a big piece of paper (or in the case, a piece of cardboard) work okay.

Just to give a rough comparison the scans I posted from my ebay store at 300 DPI take up about 2.5 MB on my hard drive before I upload them.

Also my scanner does not have a feeder or printer so the lid opens to accommodate thicker books.