• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
50 50

1,629 posts in this topic

So, just trying it out so far with different scanning software too.

With Vuescan (ignore the watermark) 23.1 MB:

xJnOCMPl.jpg

With HP Easy Scan 8.4 MB:

mWVxivQl.jpg

The only thing I do not like is that the hinge on top does not expand. So if you put a slab on the flatbed, the cover doesn't lift up to accommodate the thicker material. Not a huge issue as a big piece of paper (or in the case, a piece of cardboard) work okay.

This is a CIS scanner, right?

So, just trying it out so far with different scanning software too.

With Vuescan (ignore the watermark) 23.1 MB:

xJnOCMPl.jpg

With HP Easy Scan 8.4 MB:

mWVxivQl.jpg

The only thing I do not like is that the hinge on top does not expand. So if you put a slab on the flatbed, the cover doesn't lift up to accommodate the thicker material. Not a huge issue as a big piece of paper (or in the case, a piece of cardboard) work okay.

This is a CIS scanner, right?

Yes it is.

So now the problem is the images come out incredibly blurry.

Here is one I scanned yesterday:

ngEjRG0l.jpg

Compared to one I scanned with my old 7400c:

JZnoHG4l.jpg

I've messed around with all the settings, DPIs, optimizing for quality over speed, etc...and they still come out blurry. It works great when putting a comic directly on the flatbed, but it doesn't like slabs for some reason.

57 minutes ago, NerdHouse Comics1 said:

It's actually related to the type of technology the scanner uses.  It's a CIS and not CCD so anything in a slab will always come out blurry.

Yeah, discussed at length earlier in this thread.  Unfortunately, most current scanners use CIS technology, which is a problem for scanning slabs.

This is a long shot but is anyone familiar with the Microtek i700 scanner?  I've owned a used one for almost a year, but I really need to clean the interior glass.  There is a smudge on the interior glass right in the middle of the scanner.  On dark color books, it creates a noticeable "swish" right in the center of the slab.   I can get the back of the glass panel off, but I cannot figure out how to remove the front section of the glass panel.  Google has been no help.  I suspect this is a long shot, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me figure it out.

I recently bought an Epson GT-15000 on ebay for $199 plus shipping.  It came $267.70.  So I discovered it had shallow scratches which when you scan larger images ends up showing up like a sore thumb.  I tried polishing etc using brasso and various other things.  I guess I didn't have the patience to wait and kept hearing how too much can warp/distort the image.

The other day after weeks of dwelling and researching, I was about to pull the trigger on getting this:  Epson Assy-CVR-Upper+Glass, Item#1261364.  After much searching, I think I found a replacement for about $340 shipped but it was thru an overseas company and I couldn't even tell if they really had it available as this is a discontinued model.  I finally opted to remove the upper assembly myself (as I discovered, the lid lifts right off and there were only 4 outer case screws plus a 5th on the back.  After removing those, the upper assembly lifted right off.  I could see that the glass was attached using some kind of adhesive.  I first slowly used a mat cutter blade to ease between the glass and the plastic ruler/guides that are adhered to the surface.  For the larger one on the end, I had to undo a screw from the underneath side then loosen the adhesive bond carefully with the razor blade.  I utilized the mat cutter blade and worked from the underneath side in between the glass and plastic lip every so carefully and tried using a hairdryer to loosen the adhesive bond.  After much patience and effort, I was able to remove the glass.     The glass apparently had a 5/8" gray paint border on the underneath that was apparently there to conceal the areas where they use adhesive to adhere it to the case. 

I found a local glass/mirror shop (they do auto glass too apparently) and brought the piece in.  They cut me a new piece and buffed the edges for me.  It cost all of $16 and some change.  I was rather pleased.  I went to the hardware store and spent another $11 on blue painter tape and gray spraypaint that is made to adhere to plastic and other materials.  I measured and taped all areas not to receive paint and spraypainted the uncovered areas.  After removing the tape, it looked pretty darn good.....until I tried to mount it to the case again and I'd positioned it slightly off so tried to move and the paint flaked/peeled off where spots of adhesive had come into contact.  Arghhhhh!  Well, I ended up using the blade to easily scrape off the paint job I'd done and then used it to cut the top of adhesive that had attached itself to the paint that was left on the case.  I decided that I didn't need the border.  Well it looked off and really began to bother me after a while.  The scans were perfect now but the adhesive showing bugged me to no end.  I started searching for some plastic strips that I could attach to the borders to cover the unsightly edges.  Nobody has anything apparently that I could find anywhere online or in office stores, walmart etc.

Just when I'd about given up hope, I decided to go to Hobby Lobby at the suggestion of my girlfriend.  Well, I finally found something I thought would work....self-adhesive vinyl.  It comes in packages of 2 sheet that are 12" x 36".  I proceeded to cut them in 5/8" wide strips down the long length of the sheet.   I peeled away a little bit of the backing to check how tacky the adhesive was and discovered it was also gray/silver on the back!  I grabbed a piece of scrap glass and tested it out to see how it looked from the other side.  It was exactly what I'd hoped.  I cut about 5 to be safe in case I screwed up attaching which I did so good planning.  When I attached along the bottom outer edges to match what the original scanner glass looked like, I began by attaching one end to the corner edge and slowly used a cloth to press down along the side as I attached it along the length of the glass to ensure no air bubbles.  I cleaned off the under glass surface to make sure no dust or fingerprints and then reattached to the scanner upper assembly and reattached the plastic guide/rulers I'd carefully removed previously.  I cleaned the surface of the glass and reattached the assembly to the scanner.  It looks good as new and functions like new.  I actually prefer the stock Epson Scan software to the VueScan especially because the Epson software was free and I compared samples set to some settings someone on here recommended for VueScan to default settings for Epson Scan (well, actually I selected the professional view options then did the 'remove dust' option and one other)...  as far as I could tell, they looked pretty much the same.  Here are some pics of the vinyl self-adhesive package as well as the finished scanner bed and a scratched glass scan and then new glass scan.  Hope this helps someone else that has run into scratched glass on one of these.  Only costs a little time and $20 to repair to like-new.  I also cleaned any dirt off the case and cover but here you go:

Self-Adhesive Vinyl                      

border.jpg

Scanner Bed with new glass and under border

scanner.jpg

Scan pre-glass replacement

X-23 2010 1768.jpg

Scan post-glass replacement

X-23 2010 1769.jpg

Edited by labratnotincluded

I have a microteck scan maker x12usl and have recently updated to 10.12.3 Sierra os.  I tried using vuescan and it used to work on my old OS but won't work on the 10.12.3. Does anyone know what I can use for driver's?   Thank you

On 2/13/2017 at 0:39 PM, Meeklo said:

So I finally got a working 7400c again for $75 on eBay.

If anyone wants to see a difference between CIS and CCD scanners...

CIS HP 8720 - 9.9 MB

ngEjRG0l.jpg

CCD HP 7400c (I still need to clean the glass...) - 1.9 MB

W7FrAJ9l.jpg

Yep, I made the same mistake when buying a new Epson printer/scanner.  Guess I have to keep my old HP ScanJet on standby :cry:

12 hours ago, BEAUMONTS said:

I have a microteck scan maker x12usl and have recently updated to 10.12.3 Sierra os.  I tried using vuescan and it used to work on my old OS but won't work on the 10.12.3. Does anyone know what I can use for driver's?   Thank you

Seems like VueScan updates pretty frequently.  I imagine he'll get around to adding the needed software.  Maybe if you send him an e-mail, he could give you a timeframe. 

My HP8250 works fine. The only thing I don't like about it is lugging it out every time I need to use it. I would much rather have a wireless scanner that I can permanently set up somewhere and leave it. Can anyone recommend a good wireless legal size scanner?

On 2/8/2017 at 11:49 PM, NerdHouse Comics said:

The higher end Epsons have CCD capability like the one Dr. Chaos posted about earlier.  If you buy used off eBay price isn't too bad.

Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread.

I purchased  the Epson GT-15000 off ebay after reading and rereading this thread for recommendations.  A great scanner for $300 and am using Vuescan Pro.  I can now scan my mags as well.

h7AUvAU.jpg