• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

HP OfficeJet 7410 All-In-One

Default settings. Windows XP. These are old scans and I forget the DPI.

Wireless legal sized scanner, color printer, fax machine, copier.

It was my 7310 that just croaked. :cry:

Here's something whacky. I was trying different scanning techniques with the 8500A (at 300dpi) and did not cover the slab with a piece of cardboard like I usually do.

This is the actual unaltered scan, the slab doesn't even show up! :ohnoez:

chew1-3001d.jpg

HP OfficeJet 7410 All-In-One

Default settings. Windows XP. These are old scans and I forget the DPI.

Wireless legal sized scanner, color printer, fax machine, copier.

It was my 7310 that just croaked. :cry:

Here's something whacky. I was trying different scanning techniques with the 8500A (at 300dpi) and did not cover the slab with a piece of cardboard like I usually do.

This is the actual unaltered scan, the slab doesn't even show up! :ohnoez:

chew1-3001d.jpg

Looks like the 8000 series can't hold a candle to the older 7000s.

This is from my 7780....nothing altered or edited. Straight from the scanner and saved as a JPEG with the native resolution. I'm really hoping this thing lasts me 10 years. :wishluck:

TOS39cgc85Q.jpg

The artifact of glaring is there no matter what scanner you use. I have only seen this artifact compensated properly through high-end (office) multifunction printers/scanners/copiers and I'm guessing that it has to do with the lighting and capture mechanisms being calibrated at a more industrial grade to perform high output duties.

With consumer level multi's or flatbeds, even in a situation where you're not scanning a thicker book or a deeper holder, it has to do with the way the inner well seats in the holder.

If the inner well didn't have to wrap so tightly around the top or bottom edges during the sealing process you wouldn't have this problem with the glare artifact. If you look closely, both the Kazar and Superman have it at the top outer edge.

I have seen situations where the sealing process (I'm told anyway, that sometimes the heat from the sonic sealing of the well can refer heat further into the well and produce anomolies where the inner well has slight warping/rippling effect) that can produce a glaring effect like the reflection of a beating sun on waves. I had to have two books reslabbed because of this issue.

Jive, those spots on your TOS 39 where there is a glare (reddish hue) - especially on the one near the 12c price, you could clearly see the way the inner well crimps inward.

That rippling of the inner well will produce that glaring artifact on the best of scanners. Forgetting the quality of the scan for a moment, when it's going on near the spine (like it was with my books) I would monitor that carefully to make sure it doesn't refer any more inward, past the seal. You could see the warping effect from the outer border of the inner well, and the curving of the seal in that area.

Jive, those spots on your TOS 39 where there is a glare (reddish hue) - especially on the one near the 12c price, you could clearly see the way the inner well crimps inward.

That rippling of the inner well will produce that glaring artifact on the best of scanners. Forgetting the quality of the scan for a moment, when it's going on near the spine (like it was with my books) I would monitor that carefully to make sure it doesn't refer any more inward, past the seal. You could see the warping effect from the outer border of the inner well, and the curving of the seal in that area.

True enough but I'd be happy with the glare on that scanner.

It's when the glare obscures the appearance of the book itself that it bothers me.

Does anyone have any information on the Epson Workforce 1500?

(Just realized that this will only scan 14" through the auto document feed.)

Edited by Hibou

OK first off I found this thread without starting a new scanner thread. This may have already been discussed but here is my problem.

My problem is I just yesterday connected my new computer with windows 7 and it will act like it wants to scan but will not. You can hear it try to move a couple of times then quits and says "An error occurred while setting scanner properties"

It detected my HP C7710A as a HP 7400C series. The picture that it shows in the printers and devices area does not look like my scanner. I tried a scan and the screen with my scanner options looks totally different than with my old XP system when I would scan.

I then went to HP and loaded the program that automatically detects your HP devices. It said I need 7400C drivers. The 7490C looks more like my scanner but neither of these allow me to pick install for Windows 7 system. The page says if you don't see your system then HP does not support drivers for it.

Do I basically need to get a newer scanner? If so that is fine just point me to a good legal size scanner that is compatible with Windows 7.

Any help is appreciated.

OK first off I found this thread without starting a new scanner thread. This may have already been discussed but here is my problem.

My problem is I just yesterday connected my new computer with windows 7 and it will act like it wants to scan but will not. You can hear it try to move a couple of times then quits and says "An error occurred while setting scanner properties"

It detected my HP C7710A as a HP 7400C series. The picture that it shows in the printers and devices area does not look like my scanner. I tried a scan and the screen with my scanner options looks totally different than with my old XP system when I would scan.

I then went to HP and loaded the program that automatically detects your HP devices. It said I need 7400C drivers. The 7490C looks more like my scanner but neither of these allow me to pick install for Windows 7 system. The page says if you don't see your system then HP does not support drivers for it.

Do I basically need to get a newer scanner? If so that is fine just point me to a good legal size scanner that is compatible with Windows 7.

Any help is appreciated.

This may not help you, but it may help someone else . . . I have found that if the scanner utility from the manufacturer does not work, or the software you normally use for scanning does not work, try using the Fax and Scan wizard built into Windows 7.

DO NOT go to the HP8500 for slabs, I just got one and while I like the raw scans better than the previous HP All-In-Ones the slab scans are blurry. My last one was a 7310 and was great for slabs.

DO NOT go to the HP8500 for slabs, I just got one and while I like the raw scans better than the previous HP All-In-Ones the slab scans are blurry. My last one was a 7310 and was great for slabs.

Thanks, I saw your previous post and the slab looked blurry. In Japan, I can find only new scanner. People just throw them away here when they don't want him.

The exemode one is a pure A3 scanner but I think it s not sold in USA and shops doesn't let me try it or return it.

The Monica minolta looks nice but they are all more than 1800$ and I don't want to spend so much.

The 7500 looks nice. I wish somebody could confirm it with a slab scan