• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

Since Windows 10 forced a download, my world of scanning came to a screeching halt. I haven't needed to use my hp scanner 8300 until just the other day. Now when I go through the normal motions I get the message that I am missing WIA driver. I've been to the hp site and tried downloading the thing again and no luck. When I ask hp to identify my equipment, they only aknowlege my wireless printer and not the 8300 and it's plugged in to my computer. I'm losing my mind.

Had the same issue when updating to 10. I had to scrub all scent of the drivers and control center. Then I downloaded a fresh copy of the HP Control center and reinstalled. Back to normal after that. It was a frustrating few days thinking my scanner was toast.

Since Windows 10 forced a download, my world of scanning came to a screeching halt. I haven't needed to use my hp scanner 8300 until just the other day. Now when I go through the normal motions I get the message that I am missing WIA driver. I've been to the hp site and tried downloading the thing again and no luck. When I ask hp to identify my equipment, they only aknowlege my wireless printer and not the 8300 and it's plugged in to my computer. I'm losing my mind.

Had the same issue when updating to 10. I had to scrub all scent of the drivers and control center. Then I downloaded a fresh copy of the HP Control center and reinstalled. Back to normal after that. It was a frustrating few days thinking my scanner was toast.

I like this. This sounds logical :wishluck:

Bought my second hand HP 8300, using hp photo smart with it. But the scans are not a true reflection of the book, especially lightens tanned edges. How to change settings to improve this? People mention VUE Scan. I'm using windows 7 home premium 64bit. Is it compatible? Do you habe to manually adjust the settings on it? Thanks all

Okay, after reading this thread and getting advice elsewhere I purchased an HP 8300 on eBay. It comes only with the power supply. I know I'm going to have to download the drivers. I'm not really a big technical guy can someone tell me what types of cables I'm going to need for this machine? Will it just be the power and a USB and that's it? There's an online manual but I'm kind of looking for the quick answers :-)

And I guess I'll need ink cartridges or whatever? I'm only going to be using this for CGC slabs.

Thanks guys,

Tom

Edited by SuperTom

Okay, after reading this thread and getting advice elsewhere I purchased an HP 8300 on eBay. It comes only with the power supply. I know I'm going to have to download the drivers. I'm not really a big technical guy can someone tell me what types of cables I'm going to need for this machine? Will it just be the power and a USB and that's it? There's an online manual but I'm kind of looking for the quick answers :-)

And I guess I'll need ink cartridges or whatever? I'm only going to be using this for CGC slabs.

Thanks guys,

Tom

Just got a new old stock HP 8300 on eBay myself. All you need is the power cable to plug into the wall and a USB cable to plug into the computer.

I downloaded and paid for Vuescan, which several people have mentioned as being a great program. It is. I was making easy, excellent CGC slab scans within seconds of installation.

Just a regular old USB cable, right? I'm going to be buying a longer one because of the distance between my computer and the scanner

UPDATE: yeah, I found one the length I need on Amazon easily. Sounds like I should be able to set up the scanner pretty easily. Looking forward to that.

Edited by SuperTom

Just a regular old USB cable, right? I'm going to be buying a longer one because of the distance between my computer and the scanner

UPDATE: yeah, I found one the length I need on Amazon easily. Sounds like I should be able to set up the scanner pretty easily. Looking forward to that.

Looks like you're on your way!

Bought my second hand HP 8300, using hp photo smart with it. But the scans are not a true reflection of the book, especially lightens tanned edges. How to change settings to improve this? People mention VUE Scan. I'm using windows 7 home premium 64bit. Is it compatible? Do you habe to manually adjust the settings on it? Thanks all

I'm using my 8300 on Win 7 Pro with the full-package of drivers (downloadable from HP's web site). When I scan, I use the 'Extreme' setting (not as extreme as it sounds) and this produces a perfect scan.

If you need any help, hit me up with a pm.

I'm having problems with the flatbed scanner. I'm running Windows 8.1. As expected, the HP computer to scanner communication programs did not work. So I purchased VueScan – the standard version ($39.95). It reads the scanner and seems to communicate with it. When I initiate a scan it appears to start the process but never advances beyond the initial thrust. I followed on-screen advice about unplugging and rebooting and stuff like that but nothing is really working. Before I uninstall and reinstall drivers or whatever. I wanted to see if anyone might know what the problem is.

I downloaded all the most recent 8300 downloads from HP. Maybe I did something wrong. Actually, I think I did not download the very first choice because it seems to be superseded by the 2nd one.

I'll give that a shot but if anyone else knows what might be wrong I would love some advice.

Thanks,

Tom

UPDATE: After checking through old HP support forums I saw several users complain of the following crazy situation: if they were using a 6-foot USB cable the scanner would not work. But it would work with the 3-foot USB cable. That sounded completely ludicrous to me but I had an 8-foot USB cable. As soon as I switched to the 3-foot cable I had no problems :-)

I run Windows 8.1, 64-bit. I downloaded all the drivers from HP and I purchased Vuescan. I don't know whether or not I needed to make that last purchase but I did when it seemed like nothing else was working. Anyway, now I'm up and running. Thanks everyone for their help :-)

Edited by SuperTom

Whats the best new scanner that fits CGC?

Need to reup on the c-up - you digg?

I need a new scanner too. Does HP have anything newer than the 8300 that works just as well?

I don't believe so unless there was an update after this one

Here is a list(Thanks Sharon!) from this thread of scanners that people have confirmed as compatible for slabs using the CCD format, many suggest using Vuescan for best editing tool.

Epson GT-2000

HP 7310

HP 7400 (7710 is the actual number for a search)

HP 7410 All-in-one.

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

HP 8390 (according to HP specs)

Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus

Microtek V6UPL

Microteks 9600-9700-9800

Most new off the shelf units are CIS format, will be blurry(see HP 8600 example above). Editing will not eliminate the blurriness.