• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your grail!
1 1

101 posts in this topic

Probably not too hard to figure out I like the comic NEXUS. This is as good a piece as I could ever hope to find for my collection:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=592483&GSub=18596

There are universal grails and there are personal grails. I can definitely appreciate the former, but I also enjoy seeing and reading about why a certain piece is someone's grail. Hope to see more here!

Grail is such and ugly word (in my best Inspector Kemp voice). There is no one piece that if I got would end my comic art collecting (the addiction is just too strong). If you are talking about a piece that had a special significance to me it would be a few, a page from Silver Surfer #1, one of the pages where he is transformed by Galactus. (I did get John to recreate it for me but is isnt the same).

ssurfer1_splash.jpg

Another would be Daredevil #47 "Brother, Take My Hand" any number of pages from that story. (only ever seen the cover) A favorite of mine growing up.

Last Uncanny X-Men #153 "Kitty's Fairy Tale", another favorite story. I did get the DPS which shows all the characters and the opening swashbuckling scene. I could say I achieved a "grail" but then again I am never comfortable with that word. Lets just say the DPS, I have wanted for years, and never thought I would own. Now that I do its one of the gems of my collection. And no, I won't take stupid money (or any other kind of money for it).

Uncanny_xmen_153_.jpg

I have such a lame choice for a gem/grail item, but I'd love to eventually get my hands on either a Robin II mini-series cover or splash--preferably by Tom Lyle. I know they won't realize a ton of money down the road, but this was the series that really hooked me into collecting comic books as a kid and it was the first series I reacquired when I came back into collecting a few years ago.

After that, I'd probably say a McFarlane Spider-Man cover or splash (which all go for craaaazy money that I'll never have for a comic or OA).

Here is another or the grails I own. I looked for several years to find a Demon Splash by Kirby. I was beyond happy when one of our great board members hooked me up with this one

for grails I don't own, look at my signature line. The daredevil 33 is the first comic I ever owned and the Detective 590 is just an amazing cover. I would love to own either.

demon_splash-1.jpg

Being a huge Green Lantern fan, I had to acquire this page when I saw it on CAF.

4252425613_ab28fed3ce_b.jpg

It's the first appearance ever of Sinestro in any format, from Green Lantern #7 p1 (Sinestro was not on the cover). I love the way they're facing off, the classic covers, the diabolical dialogue--it's all very 60's Silver Age DC.

I'd love to pick up a classic Kane cover from his 60's run on GREEN LANTERN, so if any of you know if one is available, please PM me and let me know!

Being a huge Green Lantern fan, I had to acquire this page when I saw it on CAF.

It's the first appearance ever of Sinestro in any format, from Green Lantern #7 p1 (Sinestro was not on the cover). I love the way they're facing off, the classic covers, the diabolical dialogue--it's all very 60's Silver Age DC.

I'd love to pick up a classic Kane cover from his 60's run on GREEN LANTERN, so if any of you know if one is available, please PM me and let me know!

(worship)

Probably not too hard to figure out I like the comic NEXUS. This is as good a piece as I could ever hope to find for my collection:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=592483&GSub=18596

There are universal grails and there are personal grails. I can definitely appreciate the former, but I also enjoy seeing and reading about why a certain piece is someone's grail. Hope to see more here!

Why Alfred Hitchcock? Probably cause he used to make a cameo in every movie he made.

I don't have a grail, to me a grail is something you don't own. But playing pretend, a grail for me would be like the Death Dealer Painting of him on the horse or the cover to Frankenstien by Wrightson,gonna dream,dream big.

Is this supposed to be of the piece you currently have in hand or the one you wish you had? I see both in this thread so far.

Mark me up as one of those people who doesn't believe in THE one. Only because I've been around the carousel more than one time, and I know the trip never actually ends.

-e.

Is this supposed to be of the piece you currently have in hand or the one you wish you had? I see both in this thread so far.

Mark me up as one of those people who doesn't believe in THE one. Only because I've been around the carousel more than one time, and I know the trip never actually ends.

-e.

:golfclap:

Page from Sgt Fury #1.

Covers from any Sgt Fury Books. I have a few and no where a few more are.

I haven't seen anything lower than the cover from Issue 33 and I have seen pages from all the books except Issue 1.

that looks just as good as a cover to me (thumbs u congrats!

Grail is such an overused term. Multiple grails is essentially an oxymoron. I have one in mind but it's basically unattainable as far as I'm concerned and to me that's what a grail really is.

Every time I go onto CAF, someone is always shouting "I got my grail"! really tired of it.

Hi all --

I only collect OA from the short George Perez - Joe Sinnott run in Fantastic Four 167 - 178 (7 issues), basically the most memorable art from my childhood.

So I'm only looking for about 126 pages total...two of the best of them I never thought I'd be able to find and afford, but when Michael Lovitz posted these pages I went ga-ga and worked it out with him...for a steep price. But it was worth it.

Now if I can just find more of these splash pages!

Dan

FF172p30-31.jpg