• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HooDeeDoo IS SELLING HIS COLLECTION!!!

60 posts in this topic

I just got back from the gym (damn I look good!) and there are many messages in my inbox.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Patience grasshoppers.

First off, I'm not quitting the hobby! I've been collecting since I was 8 and I aint quittin' now. I'm just getting out of the stratosphere books. I'm going to collect a little differently.

Now regarding insurance: I've considered that but when it comes to the books I have, there is no way to prove to an insurance company how much a book is worth on the open market when Overstreet is sitting there saying a 9.6 book is worth a FRACTION of what it's really worth. I have no interested in going down THAT road.

I've been considering this for about a month and decided to pull the trigger after going back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth. A hobby is suppose to be fun and the moment it, or anything, starts messing with my head, it's time to cut bait. I love drama - but only on stage.

And who knows, maybe in a year I'll decide to start this insanity all over again. It's not like I'm cutting a limb off. It's only comics.

I spoke to CIA on the phone and asked questions related to CGC comics too. If you can demonstrate what you paid (receipts, Paypal Data, checks) that helps. Also consider there are services like GPA or ComicSheet to show actual sales. My understanding is that they consult with experts (dealers) in all the various collectible markets to help determine replacement value. If you have the above proof/data to challenge the expert on some of the lower values given, you should be in reasonable shape. It might not be perfect, but you could probably get about 90%+ what you expect to I'm guessing. It may not be as long and drawn out either.

Its worth a call to check it out yourself to see if this would give you peace of mind... 1-888-837-9537. Good luck either way

Now regarding insurance: I've considered that but when it comes to the books I have, there is no way to prove to an insurance company how much a book is worth on the open market when Overstreet is sitting there saying a 9.6 book is worth a FRACTION of what it's really worth. I have no interested in going down THAT road.

Have you asked Schmell/Brulato/Landsman about this? I doubt comics make up the majority of their portfolios, but I also doubt they'd be very happy if the amount they've got in comics up and disappeared. I've heard the same thing about CIA Bruce has, that they just need to talk to few dealers you've bought the expensive books from.

Its not needless. This is about someone possibly selling for the wrong reason (fear of loss and no reimbursement). If Mark would otherwise "want" to hold onto the books he seems to love, I'd rather take a moment to give him a chance to consider the info I posted since I feel some of the impressions he communicated about insuring the books were not accurate.

Selling books you love can often bring regret... and I know you must understand that since you hold onto your prized books with clenched fists too. I've had to deal with the "regret of selling" and know of what I speak. I just wanted to inform Mark that there may be a way feel secure and to remove the fear that seemed to be the motivating factor in his selling his books.

Just food for thought... I'm glad i made the posts and wish Mark luck either way.

Should we PM want lists?

I think Mark made it clear he doesn't want to get bombarded with requests/want lists until the master list with grades and asking prices is made public. I've been good and have refrained from PMing him, to honor this request. I'd sit tight and wait it out until zero hour.

Should we PM want lists?

I think Mark made it clear he doesn't want to get bombarded with requests/want lists until the master list with grades and asking prices is made public. I've been good and have refrained from PMing him, to honor this request. I'd sit tight and wait it out until zero hour.

893frustrated.gif Oh drat...

I was in such a hurry to get ready for the Super Bowl I didn't read carefully.

But my want list is small so maybe he won't get too mad... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Should we PM want lists?

But my want list is small so maybe he won't get too mad... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Bottom of the pile buddy! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Jim

HooDee,

From an insurance perspective - if you provide your insurance company with a list, and what you want to insure the book at - as long as you can prove your valuation, they will insure it at that on a fine arts schedule.

See most insurance companies will charge you a premium rated upon the valuation of whatever you are insuring, so if you have $80K in books, they will multiply a rate times several other factors by your $80K to get at a premium. And as long as it is replacement cost...You would be fine.

Obviously, some of us can read between the lines.

THE CRASH IS COMING

Not all. I just meant that HooDeeDoo stated previously that the insurance was only part of the reason, and that he was changing his collecting angle.

I simply believe in letting people make their own decisions, and if I was selling because I ran out of storage space, posting links to low-cost storage facilities or new house listings wouldn't be what I'd want to see.

I'd like to see buyer interest and open check books. thumbsup2.gif

Should we PM want lists?

Jim

Well I wasn't looking for anything 9.4+ so I won't be in competition with 75% of you BDS here... laugh.gif

Should we PM want lists?

Jim

Well I wasn't looking for anything 9.4+ so I won't be in competition with 75% of you BDS here... laugh.gif

What's a BDS? confused.gif