• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will there ever be grading services for more paper items?

15 posts in this topic

There is a whole lot of paper out there in the world.

What is the next category to get the "professional third party grading" treatment?

It occurs to me that it is VERY tough to find perfect condition (i.e. equivalent to CGC 9.8) postcards and sheet music, but these are traditionally worth very little money for the most part.

What about movie lobby cards? They are worth lots of money for certain ones?

Vintage posters? Many are worth thousands, but they are very large to be shipping flat. But there are so many replicas posters that an expert opinion if VERY much needed.

What about first edition books?

Art prints? Road maps? Brochures?

Let's slab everything :acclaim:

Vintage posters? Many are worth thousands, but they are very large to be shipping flat. But there are so many replicas posters that an expert opinion if VERY much needed

There are lobby cards that are worth tens of thousands of dollars, so it would be nice to have a grading service to authenticate them. Fakes, called "minty whites", have been floating around for like 20 years.

The most expensive posters are the Universal horror ones (Dracula, Mummy, Frankenstein, Black Cat, Bride Of Frankenstein, etc). They go for hundreds of thousands and are embroiled in a huge scandal where a big time collector is alleged to have created fakes (with the alleged help of a conservator) and sold as originals. Needless to say, authentication would be a huge plus.

I'd like to see some form of grading for original posters. I pick up some horror posters here and there and there are a few that I'd question if they're the original's. Luckily I haven't dropped a lot of dough on them.

I'd like to see some form of grading for original posters. I pick up some horror posters here and there and there are a few that I'd question if they're the original's. Luckily I haven't dropped a lot of dough on them.

Your signature line needs more DC characters :baiting:

Your signature line needs more DC characters :baiting:

joker.gif

There is a whole lot of paper out there in the world.

What is the next category to get the "professional third party grading" treatment?

It occurs to me that it is VERY tough to find perfect condition (i.e. equivalent to CGC 9.8) postcards and sheet music, but these are traditionally worth very little money for the most part.

Vintage posters? Many are worth thousands, but they are very large to be shipping flat. But there are so many replicas posters that an expert opinion if VERY much needed.

What about first edition books?

Art prints? Road maps? Brochures?

Let's slab everything :acclaim:

That's actually a pretty cool idea hm

I would be all over lobby cards. Its small enough that cgc should not have a slabbage issue.

Lobby cards would be interesting.

I don't know much about them.

Are pin holes an allowable defect since they had to be hung up by the theater? (sort of like date stamps are allowed on a comic book)

I would be all over lobby cards. Its small enough that cgc should not have a slabbage issue.

I just sold a whole bunch of lobby cards... I should have waited for CGC's slabs... I guess I sold them to early (and to cheap) :frustrated:

I'll hold on to my Disney Park maps. Who knows when they'll start slabbing those (thumbs u

but these are traditionally worth very little money for the most part.

Like a lot of comics that fetch crazy prices because they got slabbed at a 9.9 or 10.0

yes, this is true for postcards and sheet music, but the grading company has to have SOME slab-worthy candidates in the field that are worth a lot of money as less than 9.9 copies. Otherwise there is not enough business to survive.

CGC could not build a business if the only comics worth slabbing were 9.9 and 10.0 copies, there are not enough 9.9 candidates out there worthy of submission. The fact so many comics are worth $100+ in a condition less than 9.4 is the reason a business like CGC could start in the first place.

This is not true with postcards and sheet music. Most are worth only a few dollars. Very few are worth $100 or more in a raw state (compared to comics). This is the same problem for non-comic magazines, there are just not enough valuables ones out there in a raw state to justify a slabbing business.

I just sold a whole bunch of lobby cards... I should have waited for CGC's slabs... I guess I sold them to early (and to cheap) :frustrated:

I'll hold on to my Disney Park maps. Who knows when they'll start slabbing those (thumbs u

McDonald's paper placemats :idea: Those must be quite rare in a mint state.

Lobby cards would be a great one. Other areas in paper collectibles could include antique postcards, cdv's, and stock certificates. Non-paper items could include poltical and advertising pinback buttons and civil war military buttons.

Slabbing requires more than simply grading the item and putting it in a case. They have to be able to identify the item, determine if it is genuine (not a reprint or for later release, etc). If they do movie paper, for instance, they have to hire an expert collector.