• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the first few issues where you bought multiple copies?

98 posts in this topic

I know this will be hard to believe but in the late 60's I bought many multiple copies. For instance, Silver Surfer #1 - 10 copies; Incredible Hulk #102 - 15 copies: Iron Man #1 - 15 copies; Iron Man & Sub-Mariner #1 - 15 copies; Sub-Mariner #1 - 15 copies; Captain Savage & his Leatherneck Raiders #1 - 15 copies; Ghost Rider [western] #1 - 25 copies [i think I still have some copies of the last two titles]. I pared down the purchases of the second issues of most of those titles to 10 copies each and the third issues to 5 each.

In the early 80's, I sold some of the multiples at Phil Seuling's monthly shows. I was getting $8.00 for the #1 of Hulk, Iron Man & Sub-Mariner etc. and $25.00 for the Silver Surfer.

In 1989, I sold the bulk of my collection, including all those multiple copies I had remaining, to a dealer.

I had my Mom driving me around town nabbing all the Howard the Ducks #1-3 I could find. I later had her doing the same thing for World of Krypton and Micronauts #1. Heck of a winning streak, huh?

Uh, anybody in need of any HG, unread, Dazzler #1s? When run through the permanent press cycle a few times they make great toilet paper. doh!

Peter Parker #1

Howard The Duck #1

Nova #1

Sherlock Holmes #1 (ouch!)

10 copies each

I was 13 or so at that time

I was buying copies of Howard the Duck #1 for 25 cents each at the drugstore and selling them for $10 the next day. :cloud9:

Also bought 20 copies of PP#1. They are all gone so I must have done Ok with them.

I bought about 20 copies of X-Factor 1 when it came out. Think they are worth about the same price now...

+1 (Okay, I only bought 4 but I still have them all.)

Also bought 20 copies of PP#1. They are all gone so I must have done Ok with them.

I remember going to an SDCC in 2002 or 2003, and there was a dealer selling multiple copies of certain BA (mostly late BA) books in unread shape. One of them was Peter Parker. I recall buying a stack of them as they were inexpensive....must've done okay with them as I only seem to have a couple left in perfect condition.

Haven't seen anything like that in the last several years.

I remember going to an SDCC in 2002 or 2003, and there was a dealer selling multiple copies of certain BA (mostly late BA) books in unread shape. One of them was Peter Parker. I recall buying a stack of them as they were inexpensive....must've done okay with them as I only seem to have a couple left in perfect condition.

Must have strained that Adidas bag.

Yep. You seem to have a thing going for that bag. :blush:

Brings me back to the early 80s. :ohnoez:

Good call....probably the reason why I still lug it around.

Good call....probably the reason why I still lug it around.

I had a red and black one back in the day.

I bet you dazzled at the disco.

My earliest multiple memory would have to be with Amazing Spider-Man #252 (1st black costume, iconic AF #15 swipe). I remember buying the 10 best copies off the shelf at the LCS when they came out in '84 (I was 14) for 60 cents a pop. The clerk told me I was nuts at the time. I remember him saying there was too much hype surrounding it and there were too many printed and they would never be worth anything. They certainly didn't make me rich, but 9.6 and 9.8 copies sell for a pretty penny these days, and it is still a fan favorite cover. I consider that a successful investment for a dopey 14 year old.

Creeper #1 (1st DC Ditko if I'm not mistaken)... doh!

And of course

Superman 75

Spiderman 36 V2

Spiderman 1 whatever that issue was with the gold silver green etc etc covers

Spiderman the Movie #1

Unfortunately lacked the foresight to buy multiples of early SA back in the day... :frustrated:

Earliest memory of buying multiple copies would, like several previous posters, be Daredevil 158. Trouble was they were all pence copies. :cry:

After that fiasco it wasn't until the mid 80s and the Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen that I bought several of an issue. Again it didn't work as it was around the time when I lost interest in comics completely, and the books were put away and forgotten about. Probably have them somewhere, but can't be arsed to look.

After that, it wasn't until the early 90s and the arrival of Image that I started speculating again. I distinctly recall buying multiples of Youngblood 1 and Shadowhawk 1, even though I thought that both titles were utter :censored:.

Probably flipped that schlock for a very minor markup. Did the same with Spawn 1 - 10, New Mutants 87, Spider-Man 1, Evil Ernie, Lady Death, Deathmate, Gen 13, (remember when the slipcase of 13 covers of issue 1 was red hot?) and of course the surefire winners that were Turok 1, X-Force 1 and X-Men 1. :mad: Not to mention Battle Chasers, Darkchylde, X-Files, Buffy, etc. etc. etc.

I was always crapppe at speculating on new books. Which is why I stopped.