• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee's signature drops book's value by $1635

136 posts in this topic

You might want to think twice about getting Stan to sign a nice book.

Check out this Hulk #4

Before the signature it was a 9.0 (last GPA = $2950)

After the signature it was an 8.0 (last GPA=$1315)

Difference = $1635

This is NOT my book, I saw it for sale HERE

BEFORE & AFTER

RADCB0E12010121_175743.jpg

Dayam!

This is the first time I've seen something like that on key books. I don't think the signature had anything to do with the drop in grade, though. More likely is that they were handled in a way that would account for added defects.

My question is why is that CGC label more important than the signature of one of the single greatest comic book contributors of all time? If the sig really is the only thing theat bumped the grade down that is...

At what point is the $30 wrapper on the comic so important we wouldn't consider letting a living legend sign his own work?

With the exception of the Hulk 4, I don't think that the grade drop is all that surprising. Mid grade is very arbitrary and in the case of those books, especially the JIM 83, I think the grades were soft when they were blue labels.

And if they're anyone's here, my condolences :foryou:

My question is why is that CGC label more important than the signature of one of the single greatest comic book contributors of all time? If the sig really is the only thing theat bumped the grade down that is...

At what point is the $30 wrapper on the comic so important we wouldn't consider letting a living legend sign his own work?

Oh please. Stan Lee will sign a cocktail napkin. His signature didn't bring the grade of the book down. It was either A) mishandled, B) over graded or C) bufued somewhere else along the line..

I once saw a photo of someone who had a small hole cut into a high grade Amazing Fantasy #15 slab. The hole was just large enough for a signature.

They got Stan to sign it but it was otherwise impossible for Stan to touch the book.

Then they had the book re-cased in the CGC Signature case.