• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee's signature drops book's value by $1635

136 posts in this topic

My question is why is that CGC label more important than the signature of one of the single greatest comic book contributors of all time? If the sig really is the only thing theat bumped the grade down that is...

At what point is the $30 wrapper on the comic so important we wouldn't consider letting a living legend sign his own work?

Oh please. Stan Lee will sign a cocktail napkin. His signature didn't bring the grade of the book down. It was either A) mishandled, B) over graded or C) bufued somewhere else along the line..

Why would you have some ego maniac scribble on your books?As Jim said what is tuffer than a signed marvel silver age book?A unsigned one.

Oh please. Stan Lee will sign a cocktail napkin.
Lets get pissy because he is nice enough to spend time giving sigs to fans for free, bringing down the value of our precious slabbed keys :whistle:

I'm not pissy. I have a Stan Lee sig on my X-Men 266 9.8... and my grade didn't go down. lol

seems to me that someone didn't do a great job prepping the books for Stan to sign, or didn't ask Stan to be delicate when signing.

Either way, someone screwed themselves pretty good on this batch of books

I once saw a photo of someone who had a small hole cut into a high grade Amazing Fantasy #15 slab. The hole was just large enough for a signature.

They got Stan to sign it but it was otherwise impossible for Stan to touch the book.

Then they had the book re-cased in the CGC Signature case.

Did he draw a big azz spider?

I once saw a photo of someone who had a small hole cut into a high grade Amazing Fantasy #15 slab. The hole was just large enough for a signature.

They got Stan to sign it but it was otherwise impossible for Stan to touch the book.

Then they had the book re-cased in the CGC Signature case.

How was the owner able to cut through the inner mylar without cutting the book? I've seen window bags and top loaders used to this effect, but never a slab. I'm curious if you saw what you think you saw.

So how do we know that it was cracked out with no damage to the book? Is it also possible that bleed through caused the downgrade? (If it bleeds through the cover and onto the interior page.)

Either that or Stan signs with a heavy hand...

A lot of that can be ameliorated by a careful Witness (like MutantKeys).

Just don't ask him about --- ah. Nevermind. :grin:

I never understood why ANYONE would have a key silver age booked signed ....Unless its beat up and not worth much I dont see the point at all..

Like having a 52 Mantle rookie card with his auto on it..Hate to tell ya but the auto makes it worth much less..

Unless you know for a fact you will never sell the book and you will leave it to your kids (shrug) BUT if you want your kids to have an item worth something DONT destroy its market value by having a signature on it..

An autograph defaces the item and makes it not worth much..Be it by the greatest comic mind ever OR the greatest ball player ever .. Either way its money down the drain ..

2c

I never understood why ANYONE would have a key silver age booked signed ....Unless its beat up and not worth much I dont see the point at all..

Like having a 52 Mantle rookie card with his auto on it..Hate to tell ya but the auto makes it worth much less..

Unless you know for a fact you will never sell the book and you will leave it to your kids (shrug) BUT if you want your kids to have an item worth something DONT destroy its market value by having a signature on it..

An autograph defaces the item and makes it not worth much..Be it by the greatest comic mind ever OR the greatest ball player ever .. Either way its money down the drain ..

2c

+1 :golfclap:

2c

How is it "money down the drain" when a SA book that's signed by Stan Lee commands more money than its counterpart in a blue label slab? You may not like it, but claiming a signature makes the book worth a lot less really has no basis in reality :shrug: