• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee's signature drops book's value by $1635

136 posts in this topic

I would rather have any day of the week a comic signed by Stan Lee. Yep by collectors the 8.0 Incredible Hulk #4 is cheaper than the Incredible Hulk #4 9.0. But check this out. Talk to any of your friends. Show an 9.0 to a non collector or an 8.0 SS to a non collector. The non collector will go gaga over the signiture one.

You know maybe a comic person just wants to have a comic signed by a legend that he or she met personally. Maybe that person will hand this comic down generation to generation, and they will tell of the story of when Stan the man personally signed the comic. You see something go beyond money. Some things transcend money. And a signature by Stan Lee is one of them.

You know on a side note. This is one reason I am happy I collect video games. Guess what? A Space Invaders game boxed goes for $5, so does a Pitfall game boxed. In fact most famous Atari 2600 games go for less than $10 boxed. So unlike the comic hobby we simply could care less about "Defacing" of a game if the programmer signs it. In our hobby a signature is treasured, and wanted!

I would rather have any day of the week a comic signed by Stan Lee. Yep by collectors the 8.0 Incredible Hulk #4 is cheaper than the Incredible Hulk #4 9.0. But check this out. Talk to any of your friends. Show an 9.0 to a non collector or an 8.0 SS to a non collector. The non collector will go gaga over the signiture one.

You know maybe a comic person just wants to have a comic signed by a legend that he or she met personally. Maybe that person will hand this comic down generation to generation, and they will tell of the story of when Stan the man personally signed the comic. You see something go beyond money. Some things transcend money. And a signature by Stan Lee is one of them.

That used to be what landing a sig was all about :cloud9:

It's a sad state when the only reason someone would slice a hole in their slab to allow a legend to get their grubby fingers on the comic they created is to have it signed a generic impersonal sig in front of a paid witness with photographic proof so it can go straight onto eBay. I think that kind og behavior is extremely demeaning to those signing the books, and if I were a popular comic icon I would refuse.

That used to be what landing a sig was all about :cloud9:

It's a sad state when the only reason someone would slice a hole in their slab to allow a legend to get their grubby fingers on the comic they created is to have it signed a generic impersonal sig in front of a paid witness with photographic proof so it can go straight onto eBay. I think that kind og behavior is extremely demeaning to those signing the books, and if I were a popular comic icon I would refuse.

:golfclap:

You know on a side note. This is one reason I am happy I collect video games. Guess what? A Space Invaders game boxed goes for $5, so does a Pitfall game boxed. In fact most famous Atari 2600 games go for less than $10 boxed. So unlike the comic hobby we simply could care less about "Defacing" of a game if the programmer signs it. In our hobby a signature is treasured, and wanted!

The idea that anything would be worth less because the world-famous creator signed it is unlikely to make sense to more than one in a million average people. And I think if collectors tell most people "that's how it is" within the hobby it will make those people on average less inclined to believe collecting/investing in comics is a good idea.

Signature or no signature it just goes to show you how subjective grading is. (shrug)

It does? I'm not so sure, at least with these examples.

The JIM #83 clearly lost a couple of chips (that looked like they were due to part ways with the book regardless)...how do you know similar handling damage was not done to the books?

I cringe a little...inside...when I hand a book over to a creator to sign.

Yes, one of my favorite stories, was at one of the first wondercons in Oakland, California, Stan Lee was doing a signing. I had two friends that were there in line. At the time, Stan Lee was signing on the title page. Most everyone wanted it done that way, and if one didn't ask, he would do that way, anyways. My first friend handed Stan Lee his book, don't remember the book, but when Stan Lee signed it, he turned the cover and ripped it. He then proceeded to sign inside, and then on the cover, wrote, "officially torn by Stan Lee."

The second friend had his Amazing Fantasy #15 signed, without any damage. I later purchased this book from them, and I had it in my collection for about 12 years. I sold it 5 years ago on comiclink for 8K, which at the time was considered to be a lot. But it bought me nearly a year in eastern europe. :headbang:

rad2c809200492823054.jpg

rad4286a200492823052.jpg

I always recommend having the item signed inside.

Also, for those who insist on the cover, better get an archival marker, because sharpies are corrosive over time. After about 15 years, they start leaving an ugly yellow outline etc Not to mention whatever reactions it might have to the plastics.

Daniel, you listin'? If you're going to be a responsible signature witness, wouldn't you think one would think of something like that?

Maybe CGC should suggest it to all existing and future witnesses to try and use archival materials when in one's power.

Maybe-but doubtful, but they do sell an elite archival sharpie, although unless ordered directly from sharpie, tough to locate. I would assume that would indicate that current sharpies are not archival?

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/002040.html

(I don't know if they know what they are talking about really... I just remember reading it.) (shrug)

it's a crrappp shoot. instead of experiment, why not go for the archival?

So first you say go archival... and not sharpies because they leave a yellow stain.

I tell you I don't think sharpies leave a yellow stain anymore.

Then you say use an archival sharpie.

AIIGH!! :ohnoez: