• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee's signature drops book's value by $1635

136 posts in this topic

I find it odd, or amusing, or perplexing, that some of the people who say a creators signature should devalue a book are the same people who say the scribbles on pedigree books enhance their value.

Not me :gossip:

Graffitti is graffitti ...... all of it degrades true high grade copies 2c

the other problem I have with SS is the fact that if you don't agree to the grade...you can't just crack and resubmit...otherwise the signature is invalidated.

You be screwed...

You could resubmit the book in the slab. (thumbs u

I find it odd, or amusing, or perplexing, that some of the people who say a creators signature should devalue a book are the same people who say the scribbles on pedigree books enhance their value.

Not me :gossip:

Graffitti is graffitti ...... all of it degrades true high grade copies 2c

If that's your preference, fair enough. Guess you're not one of those who feels the markings on White Mountains, etc. should add rather than detract.

[if I ever meet Stan Lee at a signing, I'd ask him to draw a 'spider' over the Punisher's head on my copy of ASM #129, just so there would be a more terrible SS book in the census.

Too late!

92589.jpg

:takeit:

I think Stan Lee should just bring a can of spray paint to signings from now on.

:roflmao:

Nice touch having the seller show the scan with the old 9.6 grade. Kinda like trying to eat your cake and have it too.

doh!

Nice touch having the seller show the scan with the old 9.6 grade. Kinda like trying to eat your cake and have it too.

doh!

This is a perfect example where if Stan had put the sig on the building or perhaps near the bottom edge/corner it would have been possibly a subtle enhancement instead of an obliterating scribble dead center...a wrecked HG beauty if you ask me... (shrug)

This is a perfect example where if Stan had put the sig on the building or perhaps near the bottom edge/corner it would have been possibly a subtle enhancement instead of an obliterating scribble dead center..

Signature placement is yet another reason to utilize the "Stan-Precut-Hole" method for signatures

This is a perfect example where if Stan had put the sig on the building or perhaps near the bottom edge/corner it would have been possibly a subtle enhancement instead of an obliterating scribble dead center..

Signature placement is yet another reason to utilize the "Stan-Precut-Hole" method for signatures

Signature placement makes all the difference in the world. This is why I try not to generalize and state that any high grade book should not be signed, etc. A signature can enhance or detract. In my humble opinion, here is a book that is perfectly signed... :grin:

Superman11Blog.jpg

That said, I see a lot of signatures with low contrast, poor placement and/or poor pen selection. Silver on white backgrounds, super thick tipped pens that totally lose the nuance and fine detail of the signatures and on and on.

There is an art to adding a signature -- it should be more than simply getting the person to sign anywhere with anything.

doh!

This is a perfect example where if Stan had put the sig on the building or perhaps near the bottom edge/corner it would have been possibly a subtle enhancement instead of an obliterating scribble dead center...a wrecked HG beauty if you ask me... (shrug)

I thought it wasn't too bad. Now, had he placed it over the face of Galactus...

doh!

I thought it wasn't too bad. Now, had he placed it over the face of Galactus...

You mean the Watcher... :baiting:

doh!

I can't blame the guy for including the old label shot, especially if the grader's notes for the 9.4 don't indicate any definitive flaw that was absent in the notes for the 9.6 label. Just lets the buyer know that the book is effectively the same and that the dift labels indicate the unavoidable subjectivity that can cause a book to have different numbers attached to it on dift days.