• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,530 posts in this topic

Do you think there is a large percentage of comic buyers & collectors that never had interest in an X-Men #1 that will now want to own a copy?

I used to think that was the case. I'm slowly changing my opinion on it.  This was always a high-profile book.  The amount of people that can afford it is not really going to change, in my opinion.  Now I'm not saying the price won't flutuate, I know it will (or already has).  The added demand is likely coming just from speculators and dealers, not the everyday buyers that result in stable market prices.  I've seen the pattern over and over again.  Buy before the news, sell on the breaking news.  All the late adopters and speculators get caught trying to offload at a profit.

Everyone panics on breaking news (see bitcoin) and then after a few months things head back down again.  The people causing the price swings are just speculators selling to speculators.  Its an endless circle that consumes its own tail.  

On December 27, 2017 at 10:09 PM, Philreal said:

Bought this off the boards in 2015 so some of the old timers have probably seen it before. The Kirby signature is what got me excited & looks legit to me!

2550451_Full_Obv.jpg?t=MTEvMTQvMjAxNyA4OjE0OjIyIFBN

2550451_Full_Rev.jpg?t=MTEvMTQvMjAxNyA4OjE0OjIyIFBN

Phil, this is SO awesome. I love seeing the King's sig. That sig is 100% authentic (in my and many others opinions) and I along with many others would be honored to own it. I know you are. I once passed on a JIM83 with a Kirby sig, and every time I see one I think about it. Great stuff! Happy New Year to you and your family. 

57 minutes ago, SpideyFein said:

Phil, this is SO awesome. I love seeing the King's sig. That sig is 100% authentic (in my and many others opinions) and I along with many others would be honored to own it. I know you are. I once passed on a JIM83 with a Kirby sig, and every time I see one I think about it. Great stuff! Happy New Year to you and your family. 

Thanks Dan. You are one of the good ones here on the boards and I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one who thinks that. You always have something positive to say and you have a genuine love for this hobby that everyone can feel. Happy New Year to you and yours as well. I hope 2018 is the best year yet!

16 hours ago, 90sChild said:

Do you think there is a large percentage of comic buyers & collectors that never had interest in an X-Men #1 that will now want to own a copy?

I used to think that was the case. I'm slowly changing my opinion on it.  This was always a high-profile book.  The amount of people that can afford it is not really going to change, in my opinion.  Now I'm not saying the price won't flutuate, I know it will (or already has).  The added demand is likely coming just from speculators and dealers, not the everyday buyers that result in stable market prices.  I've seen the pattern over and over again.  Buy before the news, sell on the breaking news.  All the late adopters and speculators get caught trying to offload at a profit.

Everyone panics on breaking news (see bitcoin) and then after a few months things head back down again.  The people causing the price swings are just speculators selling to speculators.  Its an endless circle that consumes its own tail.  

This is the thing — there are plenty of X-Men lovers (myself included) who stayed away from the keys because it made no sense in terms of hard economic opportunity cost.  Now... we are flocking to our true love happily.

16 hours ago, Philreal said:

Thanks Dan. You are one of the good ones here on the boards and I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one who thinks that. You always have something positive to say and you have a genuine love for this hobby that everyone can feel. Happy New Year to you and yours as well. I hope 2018 is the best year yet!

That was very kind of you Phil. Trust me when I say the boards love you man! I do love the hobby, and am in a different place in my collecting now. It's weird to have "slowed" down a bit, but the books and characters always bring a smile to my face. Being on the boards keeps me involved, so I love it here. I do hope 2018 is a great, healthy year for us all. Getting some nice books surely helps too!!!

Here is my X-Men 1 CGC 4.5 SS Lee. I've wanted to upgrade for quite some time, but it looks like I'm going to continue to enjoy this puppy for the long haul. X-Men 1 is a legendary book!!

image.png

12 hours ago, SpideyFein said:

Here is my X-Men 1 CGC 4.5 SS Lee. I've wanted to upgrade for quite some time, but it looks like I'm going to continue to enjoy this puppy for the long haul. X-Men 1 is a legendary book!!

image.png

A legendary book indeed :cloud9:. Your 4.5 looks amazing, and the signature is nicely placed.

3 hours ago, SECollector said:

Wow! I am not into signed books - but this one, with its tidy nice signature, makes me drool. When was it signed? I can't really read the label.

Congrats!

Agree completely.  In most cases, signatures (especially the big sharpie signatures) really detract from a book's appeal for me.  This one is in pen, and neatly placed in a white area in a way that's much more pleasing to the eye.  The only thing that would make it better is if it were Kirby's.  :smile:

16 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

The voldy 8.0 in tonight's CL auction ended at close to $20k :golfclap:  Makes me smile and to think I was trying to sell my CGC 8.0 copy for less a month or so ago...

What's "voldy" mean?

Thx

On 1/26/2018 at 5:32 PM, SECollector said:

Wow! I am not into signed books - but this one, with its tidy nice signature, makes me drool. When was it signed? I can't really read the label.

Congrats!

thanks, its a Stan Lee file copy.  This is his personal copy of Xmen 1 and he signed it before it got slabbed by CGC. I love this book more for its historical importance.