• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,530 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2018 at 10:33 AM, benz11 said:

thanks, its a Stan Lee file copy.  This is his personal copy of Xmen 1 and he signed it before it got slabbed by CGC. I love this book more for its historical importance.

Agreed! I noticed it was his file copy and was going to note that it is even more drool worthy :) Congrats!

On 12/27/2017 at 7:09 PM, Philreal said:

Bought this off the boards in 2015 so some of the old timers have probably seen it before. The Kirby signature is what got me excited & looks legit to me!

2550451_Full_Obv.jpg?t=MTEvMTQvMjAxNyA4OjE0OjIyIFBN

2550451_Full_Rev.jpg?t=MTEvMTQvMjAxNyA4OjE0OjIyIFBN

I had that book raw and sold it to Hector (Chicago board member) around that time. That sig is legit. 

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Impressive result for the CGC 8.5 copy that ended at Heritage..  $38k :whatthe: , must be a record price.  According to GPA, last sale for an 8.5 sold for $23k Nov 2017..  X-Men 1 on the up and up.

It looks like it. It kind of comforts me for paying a record price in 2016 for my 7.5 copy :banana:.

On 2/22/2018 at 10:01 PM, Dark Knight said:

Impressive result for the CGC 8.5 copy that ended at Heritage..  $38k :whatthe: , must be a record price.  According to GPA, last sale for an 8.5 sold for $23k Nov 2017..  X-Men 1 on the up and up.

That copy looked extremely sharp of an 8.5 and I wonder if someone is thinking it will upgrade to a higher grade.

7 hours ago, VintageComics said:
On 2/22/2018 at 7:01 PM, Dark Knight said:

That copy looked extremely sharp of an 8.5 and I wonder if someone is thinking it will upgrade to a higher grade.

Quite possible, anything can happen really.  But if the buyer were to risk cracking it out and attempt having the book re-graded or pressed, it would be pretty risky to pay that much for it.  Brings us back to the AF #15 5.0 copy that sold on CC for a record price 2 summers ago in an old label and now in a newer holder with the same grade.  That copy too had tremendous eye appeal, myself and most thought it would upgrade too, but it wasn't the case.

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

Quite possible, anything can happen really.  But if the buyer were to risk cracking it out and attempt having the book re-graded or pressed, it would be pretty risky to pay that much for it.  Brings us back to the AF #15 5.0 copy that sold on CC for a record price 2 summers ago in an old label and now in a newer holder with the same grade.  That copy too had tremendous eye appeal, myself and most thought it would upgrade too, but it wasn't the case.

You don't think someone who upgrades books doesn't understand the risks? The owner still tried to upgrade the AF #15 5.0 even though people balked at me when I said it was likely (and they did upgrade other copies that also sold for record prices).

My 1st instinct and my experience when I see a book sell for a new record is to assume it's upgradeable, short of some fresh news that nobody has heard.

Just taking a book that goes for a 50% price increase at face value as the new market standard is both dangerous to the long term market (because it's unsustainable) and naive at this point in the hobby.

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

You don't think someone who upgrades books doesn't understand the risks? The owner still tried to upgrade the AF #15 5.0 even though people balked at me when I said it was likely (and they did upgrade other copies that also sold for record prices).

My 1st instinct and my experience when I see a book sell for a new record is to assume it's upgradeable, short of some fresh news that nobody has heard.

Just taking a book that goes for a 50% price increase at face value as the new market standard is both dangerous to the long term market (because it's unsustainable) and naive at this point in the hobby.

I'm sure they do understand the risks whether positive or negative (sometimes a press can ruin a book), but the people who do this kind of stuff are more gamblers than investors or flippers or what have you.  I can understand folks who pay a strong price for tremendous eye appeal (like a lot of the CVA books) and don't care how much they pay because they simply can afford it.  Whatever book is accessible to them in that period of time without doing any research or waiting for another copy to come or something of that nature is really up to the buyer, his/her $.  This is why we have a lot of dealers who find books for these deep pocket buyers so they don't have to do any leg work. Sure this sale could be an outlier, but there is also that underbidder who placed their final losing bid.  I'm sure that underbidder thinks it is worth more or less this price point whether they see it as a potential upgrade or not, who knows.  But to think that every "outlier" or crazy price paid for a book as being 100% upgradeable is false and not always proven true. Just my 2 cents, and I know not everyone agrees with how I think (thumbsu

22 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

But to think that every "outlier" or crazy price paid for a book as being 100% upgradeable is false and not always proven true. Just my 2 cents,

I would generally not say just because a book was an outlier price that it must be upgradeable. That would be ignorant.

But when I see an outlier price, look at the book, believe (with my experience) that it may have a shot at upgrade then I say it.

And I'm often right. (shrug)

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

I don't think the book can be upgraded with that dust shadow on the back cover top to bottom. I'm sure without it, it would . Other than that a tremendous looking copy.

Harley had a beautiful CGC 7.5 Tec 225 that appeared to be a legit 8.5/9.0, but it had a dust shadow on the BC. We both agreed that defect cost the book at least one full grade point. 

1 hour ago, Primetime said:
3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I don't think the book can be upgraded with that dust shadow on the back cover top to bottom. I'm sure without it, it would . Other than that a tremendous looking copy.

Harley had a beautiful CGC 7.5 Tec 225 that appeared to be a legit 8.5/9.0, but it had a dust shadow on the BC. We both agreed that defect cost the book at least one full grade point. 

Thanks for sharing Ben (thumbsu 

7 hours ago, Primetime said:

I saw the book raw and told Harley it would grade a 7.5 and didn't think it would grade an 8.0 as he expected.

The dust shadow on that book was much darker than the one on the X-men #1 in Heritage.

When it comes to dust shadows CGC takes into account the size of the shadow (width / length / surface area it covers), how dark it is and obviously what the rest of the book looks like (including how deep the shadow goes into the paper - for example, does it affect the inside cover?)

9 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

It may or may not actually upgrade, but I have no doubt that someone out there is willing to try. I'm not always right but I trust my own skill and experience enough to trust myself to know what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure where you're going with the conversation. Are you trying to say that this is a new X-men #1 prices in 8.5?

10 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I saw the book raw and told Harley it would grade a 7.5 and didn't think it would grade an 8.0 as he expected.

The dust shadow on that book was much darker than the one on the X-men #1 in Heritage.

When it comes to dust shadows CGC takes into account the size of the shadow (width / length / surface area it covers), how dark it is and obviously what the rest of the book looks like (including how deep the shadow goes into the paper - for example, does it affect the inside cover?)

It may or may not actually upgrade, but I have no doubt that someone out there is willing to try. I'm not always right but I trust my own skill and experience enough to trust myself to know what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure where you're going with the conversation. Are you trying to say that this is a new X-men #1 prices in 8.5?

I really don't know.  There's another 8.5 copy at the current CC copy, but not as nice looking due to that black writing on the "X".  I guess we shall see where that copy sells at? All i know is that strong eye appeal books sell for a premium, sometimes more than a higher graded one.  Looks like it is becoming the norm now as more and more people are taking notice unlike in previous years.  

But in the last HA Sunday auction, I noticed quite a few record prices.  The FF 1 CGC 3.5 sold for around $8500, the Hulk 1 CGC 3.5 UK copy sold for around $9500, which is about where a US 3.5 copy sells for, and of course another X-Men 1 CGC 5.0 for $6k+.  New market prices?  Looks like SA keys are catching fire.  

29 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I really don't know.  There's another 8.5 copy at the current CC copy, but not as nice looking due to that black writing on the "X".  I guess we shall see where that copy sells at? All i know is that strong eye appeal books sell for a premium, sometimes more than a higher graded one.  Looks like it is becoming the norm now as more and more people are taking notice unlike in previous years.  

But in the last HA Sunday auction, I noticed quite a few record prices.  The FF 1 CGC 3.5 sold for around $8500, the Hulk 1 CGC 3.5 UK copy sold for around $9500, which is about where a US 3.5 copy sells for, and of course another X-Men 1 CGC 5.0 for $6k+.  New market prices?  Looks like SA keys are catching fire.  

And an ASM #1 7.5 sold for 22700, when at this grade it was going for 12500 two years ago.

40 minutes ago, SECollector said:

And an ASM #1 7.5 sold for 22700, when at this grade it was going for 12500 two years ago.

I think the bump on SA keys may be due to the huge increase of AF 15 across all grades we have seen the past couple years. Seems like the other keys are playing catch-up, which makes sense since AF 15 is the driving force for the SA.