• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

But in the last HA Sunday auction, I noticed quite a few record prices.  The FF 1 CGC 3.5 sold for around $8500, the Hulk 1 CGC 3.5 UK copy sold for around $9500, which is about where a US 3.5 copy sells for, and of course another X-Men 1 CGC 5.0 for $6k+.  New market prices?  Looks like SA keys are catching fire.  

10 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I think the bump on SA keys may be due to the huge increase of AF 15 across all grades we have seen the past couple years. Seems like the other keys are playing catch-up, which makes sense since AF 15 is the driving force for the SA. 

That could very well be.

6 hours ago, maraxusofkeld said:

It is interesting that the new owner of the X-men #1, that sold on Heritage, is taking offers on the book. Crazy, since is sold 4 days ago.

I believe that is a default setting by Heritage that you need to opt out of. Buyer may not even know it's on.

On 2/26/2018 at 1:35 PM, Dark Knight said:

I really don't know.  There's another 8.5 copy at the current CC copy, but not as nice looking due to that black writing on the "X".  I guess we shall see where that copy sells at? All i know is that strong eye appeal books sell for a premium, sometimes more than a higher graded one.  Looks like it is becoming the norm now as more and more people are taking notice unlike in previous years.  

But in the last HA Sunday auction, I noticed quite a few record prices.  The FF 1 CGC 3.5 sold for around $8500, the Hulk 1 CGC 3.5 UK copy sold for around $9500, which is about where a US 3.5 copy sells for, and of course another X-Men 1 CGC 5.0 for $6k+.  New market prices?  Looks like SA keys are catching fire.  

I agree , Record prices I also agree silver age keys are on the rise and Uk editions are catching up !

6 hours ago, paul747 said:

I agree , Record prices I also agree silver age keys are on the rise and Uk editions are catching up !

UK copies have been picking up steam for some time now.

Personally, I don't think there is a difference although I know many disagree.

On 3/2/2018 at 3:31 AM, VintageComics said:

UK copies have been picking up steam for some time now.

Personally, I don't think there is a difference although I know many disagree.

I think that UK Pence copies  are the VARIANT TO OWN.  I think its coming.  I love the 35 cent variant keys and even some Canadian and Newstands but come on!!! The UK edition was a victim of horrible understanding and false knowledge. If it is ever really validated that these books went on the press first, holy cow !   All these guys spending insane cash on low print run variants and modern gimmick variants are missing the boat. The Uk pence Thread on these boards is a wealth of knowledge.  My opinion.

Edited by paul747

Not sure where to post so I thought I’d try here (sorry if it’s in the wrong forum). HA has an x1 7.0 (trying to get into a 7.0-7.5 from a 5.5) that I was looking but the cover seems faded...especially across the top “X-men”. Could this possibly be a poor scan? 

Link posted below  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/x-men-1-marvel-1963-cgc-fn-vf-70-off-white-pages/a/7187-92423.s?ic13=SubjectMatter-Comic-Title-Buy-Item-Description-100616

On 2/26/2018 at 9:48 AM, Dark Knight said:

I think the bump on SA keys may be due to the huge increase of AF 15 across all grades we have seen the past couple years. Seems like the other keys are playing catch-up, which makes sense since AF 15 is the driving force for the SA. 

"Heck, I'll go further and state that I would be concerned if AF #15 wasn't leading this comic bull market.  If your "General" isn't leading the charge, then something is definitely wrong."

My exact sentiments.  Above is a sentence / quote from my 1st post on these CGC boards about a year ago.

Normally, I'm just a lurker and prefer to keep my opinions to myself.

However, this talk of a "bubble" in the comic market and the concerns over the pricing of AF #15 has me itching to add my two cents to this discussion.

Okay, though some of you might disagree, I've lived long enough to learn (the hard way) that the (4) most detrimental words to your wealth that those in power (Your Banker, Your Broker, Your Politician, Your Realtor, Your Mortgage Company, Your Government) want you to believe are these...

"This Time it's Different"

Gang...It's NEVER different. The bigger the boom...The bigger the bust!!!

I have no doubt that if we continue on our current trajectory of price escalation, the comic market will eventually tank / bust.

However, let's not let fear of the possible market bust prevent us from enjoying this bull ride while our beloved comic market is kicking .  

So, if we don't allow fear to control our decision, but instead utilize logic, then there are (2) important questions you should be asking yourself.

1)  Why has the comic market gone ballistic???
2)  How far / where are we in this bull market comic cycle???  Perhaps more importantly to this AF #15 board, should I be concerned about the dramatic price escalation of AF #15 across all grades.

The answer to the first question (why has the comic market gone ballistic) is very simple.  It's called a paradigm shift.  Whenever and wherever a paradigm shift occurs (doesn't matter what industry or market), a great amount of money can be made and / or lost (depending on your point of entrance and exit).

Now, if you look up the word paradigm shift in the dictionary, you'll more or less see the following definition...

- A radical change in the underlying beliefs or theory.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but this is exactly what has happened to the comic industry.  Gang, the comic industry is "cool".  We are "it" with the X, Y, and Z generation.  Not only in the US and Canada, but the comic industry and it's characters are "da bomb" across the entire globe.

Collecting comics is no longer only for the introverts and the nerds, but it's growing exponentially with each and every Marvel movie that's being produced.   

Please...please...please...point out to me another collectible market (coins, stamps, cards, painting, cars, etc.) that is "cool", "It", "Da Bomb" which has experienced the fantastic ballistic growth our comic industry has seen the past few years.  

There are none.  There never has been anything like this in any of the collectible markets.  Period!!!

Here in the Central Valley of California, we have small Mickey Mouse towns that are embracing this paradigm shift by holding Comic Cons that draws 5,000 to 10,000 or more people per day.  Ten years ago, you'd be lucky to have more attendees than dealers at these shows.

Now, for the 2nd part - Where are we in this comic bull market and should we be concerned about the recent dramatic / continued price increase of AF #15?  

The answer is "NO" short term and "YES" long term only...IF...IF...certain other events occur in the next few years.  

Why do I say "NO" short term, because it doesn't matter if we're talking about stocks, bonds, houses, collectibles, etc.   What's ALWAYS...ALWAYS...true is that the most desirable, most coveted, most wanted item in that field / industry will lead the charge and provide the highest return on your investment.  It goes without saying that I've just described AF #15.   In other words, DO NOT be concerned that AF #15 is spearheading this bull market and pulling away from the rest of the comic pack.   This is the way ALL...ALL...bull markets work.  

Heck, I'll go further and state that I would be concerned if AF #15 wasn't leading this comic bull market.  If your "General" isn't leading the charge, then something is definitely wrong.

Those of you that always complain about the "supply" side of AF #15 continue to miss the bigger picture and must have slept thru Economics 101.   The "demand" for this book from buyers (which includes collectors, dealers, investors, institutions, etc) is just overwhelming.    There isn't  one single person out there reading this that doesn't want to own a copy of AF #15.    At least AF #15 is "relatively" attainable for most buyers.  Unlike Action #1 or Detective #27.   Even if you have the funds, there is virtually "0" supply of these (2) Golden Age grails to go around.

Finally, when is the bust (bear market) going to occur?

Yes, I also definitely have a strong opinion to this question.  However, because I've babbled long enough, I'll go back to being a lurker and wish everyone the best of luck!!!

See ya.

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 1:09 AM, VintageComics said:

I believe that is a default setting by Heritage that you need to opt out of. Buyer may not even know it's on.

Yes, I believe that is true. I tried to offer bids several times and have been re-buffed each time, as if owner is saying "are you kidding me, leave me alone to enjoy my book"......

10 hours ago, c_mkv said:

Not sure where to post so I thought I’d try here (sorry if it’s in the wrong forum). HA has an x1 7.0 (trying to get into a 7.0-7.5 from a 5.5) that I was looking but the cover seems faded...especially across the top “X-men”. Could this possibly be a poor scan? 

Link posted below  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/x-men-1-marvel-1963-cgc-fn-vf-70-off-white-pages/a/7187-92423.s?ic13=SubjectMatter-Comic-Title-Buy-Item-Description-100616

It looks to be variation of the color red from print.

On 1/26/2018 at 3:49 AM, benz11 said:

Here is mine, don't know if this will work

x-men1.jpg

I'm not really into Signature Series, but this might be one of the few I would ever consider dropping big money on....

Can someone tell me more about "Stan Lee File Copy"  ---  sounds so LEGENDARY!!!!

2 hours ago, tdotcbc84 said:

They would use a different variation than the other red on the cover?

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

It looks to be variation of the color red from print.

Colors always very in comics. On this one the red is just slightly more light than usual and it stands out more.

Remember, these were crappy comics made for kids. Not expensive collectors items. They were meant to be read and thrown out.

9 minutes ago, 360racer said:

It’s more like prices are on the upwards as X-Men has been sitting on the sidelines for too long. The price variation between it and other books like AF15 is astonishing and it’s time that it catches up.

X-Men #1 is definitely a desirable book, and definitely hot again, but it's never going to catch up to AF 15.  The book suffers somewhat from the fact that none of the original X-Men are among the franchise's most popular characters.  Arguably the most important first appearance in X-Men #1 is that of the villain, Magneto!  Professor X would be a close second.

Agreed on everything that X-Men has been sitting on the sidelines and won't be at the same level as AF 15, FF 1, Hulk 1 but it does deserve to be more valuable and I am sure prices will only go up.  Once Marvel puts out another X-Men movie (rumors that the Avengers vs X-men movie may come out 2020?)  than we may see it reach to higher levels.  

Moods and desires shift and change, sometimes rapidly and at times because of external forces i.e an announcement of a new movie. I wouldn’t rely only on the new movie aspect and some awareness may spark more interest in X-Men as we all know, it is one of the biggest names to come out of the Marvel empire. Sooner or later people will start to realise and appreciate it more and only then will prices continue to skyrocket. Some of the current comics that have plummeted in price make you think, how and why? Some are names that I’ve never heard of growing up, yet today, they’ve jumped double in value in only 6 months. Xmen, Spiderman, Batman, Superman etc are staple characters, the rest are the extras, that’s how I view things. 

I’m a fan of xmen also but there are multiple copies (no disrespect intended, especially to buyer or seller) of 6.5’s for much less available online. Am hoping it’s the Kirby sig that pushed it or maybe something to do with HA auctions somehow fetching higher prices?

Just seems a bit much...but what do I know. 

Edited by c_mkv

X-Men 1’s value relative to its importance is still low IMO.

Think of how big the X-Men were/are compared to iron Man, Thor, Avengers etc. - the only reason those books are now Monster keys are because of what Marvel did to them movie wise. There is undoubtedly speculation that X-Men will get the Marvel movie treatment - but even without it X-Men 1 is a more important book than JIM83, TOS39 etc. (At least IMO). 

So I think some of the growth is organic (people realizing how undervalued it is) and some of the growth is speculation/fear of missing out. Either way I really don’t care much because I have my keeper 4.0 copy :) 

1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

X-Men 1’s value relative to its importance is still low IMO.

Think of how big the X-Men were/are compared to iron Man, Thor, Avengers etc. - the only reason those books are now Monster keys are because of what Marvel did to them movie wise. There is undoubtedly speculation that X-Men will get the Marvel movie treatment - but even without it X-Men 1 is a more important book than JIM83, TOS39 etc. (At least IMO). 

So I think some of the growth is organic (people realizing how undervalued it is) and some of the growth is speculation/fear of missing out. Either way I really don’t care much because I have my keeper 4.0 copy :) 

I'm about as thrilled to have my X-Men #1 as I am sad that I didn't grab an FF #1 last year.