• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,531 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm about as thrilled to have my X-Men #1 as I am sad that I didn't grab an FF #1 last year.

I feel the same about not grabbing a FF5 or a higher grade FF48 (I grabbed a 6.0 before the Fox deal - thinking I would one day pick up a 9.2 ..... that is not going to happen now)

8 hours ago, Juaks said:

Can I check with you whether it is good investment to buy xmen 1 with cream to off white pages? It is cgc 4.5

Depends on the price, I’d go with the GPA 90 day average to determine the price. Obviously you’d pay slightly more for an off white-white book.

10 hours ago, Juaks said:

Can I check with you whether it is good investment to buy xmen 1 with cream to off white pages? It is cgc 4.5

The CR/OW is definitely going to hurt your resale value. It also depends on how the all White cover looks. If the cover is yellowing along with the pages, that's not good. As Callaway said above, there are many alternative copies out there. Chances are the CR/OW is being offered to you at a cheaper price because it is a difficult sell. Bottom line, I would not buy it.

55 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The CR/OW is definitely going to hurt your resale value. It also depends on how the all White cover looks. If the cover is yellowing along with the pages, that's not good. As Callaway said above, there are many alternative copies out there. Chances are the CR/OW is being offered to you at a cheaper price because it is a difficult sell. Bottom line, I would not buy it.

Ok thank you for the advice.

Guess I would give it a miss.

thank you 

15 hours ago, Oxidefan said:

Bought this 20 years ago and finally had it graded...disappointed to find out it was restored.

Xmen1.jpg

Sorry to hear it.  Last year, I had my whole collection of raw books graded, and there were about a dozen that came back with purple labels.  Not surprisingly, most were key books -- for example Avengers #2, Captain America #100, Iron Man #55, Silver Surfer #4, and Tales of Suspense #52 -- because those are the ones "worth" restoring and risking getting caught.

Even though I bought those books years ago, I kept good records and in most cases I was able to talk to the dealers from whom I bought the books.  I found that reputable dealers will take restored books back, even years later -- it just takes a little good-faith work to agree on a fair deal since a simple refund might actually leave you short-changed (in other words, even with restoration the book might be worth more than what you paid for it).

Best of luck deciding what to do.  It's still a very nice book.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

17 hours ago, Oxidefan said:

Bought this 20 years ago and finally had it graded...disappointed to find out it was restored.

Xmen1.jpg

I would see if the color touch could be removed and regraded if I had the funds. Reallly nice book tho sorry to hear restored. 

This is why I recommend to others nowadays (not 20 years ago) if you are going to pay 500 or more for any comic to just bite the bullet, pay a little more, and always buy already cgc’d to avoid this risk.

Edited by jason4

1 hour ago, jason4 said:

I would see if the color touch could be removed and regraded if I had the funds. Reallly nice book tho sorry to hear restored. 

This is why I recommend to others nowadays (not 20 years ago) if you are going to pay 500 or more for any comic to just bite the bullet, pay a little more, and always buy already cgc’d to avoid this risk.

If only it were just "a little more"!  :whatthe:

I paid $700 for it with #2; I think it is still a good purchase at the time.

Thanks for the advice guys...I also submitted issues 2-12, 94 and giant sized #1 from my collection; hopefully no more purple labels.

On 6/26/2018 at 7:02 PM, Oxidefan said:

I paid $700 for it with #2; I think it is still a good purchase at the time.

Thanks for the advice guys...I also submitted issues 2-12, 94 and giant sized #1 from my collection; hopefully no more purple labels.

You know what I will give you $700 for it and you can keep issue #2 :) in all seriousness it is a great looking copy - if the resto bothers you maybe check to see if it can be removed without too much damage to the book