• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,530 posts in this topic

On 4/25/2018 at 11:11 AM, tdotcbc84 said:

I'm not really into Signature Series, but this might be one of the few I would ever consider dropping big money on....

Can someone tell me more about "Stan Lee File Copy"  ---  sounds so LEGENDARY!!!!

Stan Lee file copy is a pedigree designation by CGC to indicate that the books with this designation came from the collection of Stan Lee himself.  thanks.

15 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i also finally am the proud owner of this copy, which many of you saw for sale on CCComics post almost two weeks ago. just received the book. 

i have a neat story with x-men 1-- when i was around 13-14 years old, i was going to a convention in NYC, and i convinced my dad to let me have $400 to invest in a copy of this book. this would have been around 1982, and i had a price guide magazine that at the time listed the value of a NM copy around that price. i explained to him why it was a good investment, since all of my friends and i loved x-men, and surely in the future demand would have increased. i had never done anything like this before, and i think he was impressed with my logic, research and investment-mindedness. i was surprised he gave me the cash, but he did, and i had never held so much cash. so, i went to the show, and of course no one had a copy! i saw one poor guality copy, but that was all. i was so disappointed. i returned home, gave him the money back, and stopped the pursuit, for no reason i can remember. i ended up going for all the byrne austin books not long after, and then once i acquired them all, started selling them so i would have money in my pocket to be a teenager. my dad's not around anymore, but if he was, i think he'd be happy for me too that i finally have what is my all time favorite cover of my all time favorite comic book. 

x-men1-front-5.5cgc.jpg

Great story Alex, thanks for sharing. (And the book is awesome, as well, congrats!) :luhv:

On 7/28/2018 at 7:03 PM, Dark Knight said:

Great timing too on the pickup! Its official!! Disney and Fox have reached an agreement for the rights of X-Men, FF,  and Silver Surfer. They're coming home to Marvel :)

Yes time to buy this was last week. Its only going to keep climbing.

Can anybody help me out on this?  My copy, (Oh yeah, I guess I'm a member of this club.  :bigsmile:) has some strange colorings.  Wondering if anyone else out there has seen this before.  Looking at my scans, it looks as though someone has touched this cover up.  The thing is, I know where this copy has been since it was bought off the rack so I don't think it was.  

It looks to me as though the red printing on the cover is shifted a bit to the left causing it to bleed over on a few of the lighter areas.  There is a very clear red line along the title which I don't think anyone else has, etc.  If anyone has any really clear scans of their copies to help me out, let me know.  

1473975364_XMen1FC.thumb.jpg.c018ac0a937dea61b56204765e6919d6.jpg

1213903229_XMen1RC.thumb.jpg.10427132f4350c1a21f610000c835167.jpg

2129393688_XMen1FCLowerRightCorner.thumb.jpg.59ba9c58df6cecbb1fdb6558732ff1bc.jpg

Edited by Nrrrrvous
typo

22 hours ago, Nrrrrvous said:

It looks to me as though the red printing on the cover is shifted a bit to the left causing it to bleed over on a few of the lighter areas.

Very common on mass produced, cheap, throw away printed material.

One of the plates was slightly out of alignment during the printing process.

It's common you just never noticed it before.

I wouldn't worry about it.

22 hours ago, YouFoundDonon said:

Just picked up. I’ve been seriously collecting for about 4 years and this is one I’ve always wanted. So glad to have this and will be keeping this in the PC unless an upgrade comes along. Got this baby for a steal from a long time collector for $3,000. 

BC75B80C-D37B-470D-A038-82720DACEE63.jpeg

Great pickup for a great price. Well done