• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2019 at 7:35 AM, gotpong said:

Thats a really nice looking 4.0!

Thanks. Agreed, looks better than a 5.5 I almost bought. Chip in back is the reason it got knocked down to a 4.0. 

8 hours ago, Werner_Von_Doom said:

Thanks for posting this, I was wondering how much it went for.

That auction deserves a post unto itself. That was an X-Men collection that will never been seen together again.  If there was a 9.9 or 10 to be had the collector had it.  9.8s weren’t just ordinary 9.8s—they were exceptional 9.8s.

I hope that the reason for the sale wasn’t due to tragedy. I’m just glad I got to see the bidding action across the entire collection!

48 minutes ago, Abibliophobia said:

That auction deserves a post unto itself. That was an X-Men collection that will never been seen together again.  If there was a 9.9 or 10 to be had the collector had it.  9.8s weren’t just ordinary 9.8s—they were exceptional 9.8s.

I hope that the reason for the sale wasn’t due to tragedy. I’m just glad I got to see the bidding action across the entire collection!

Unfortunately that is the case https://www.wwlp.com/news/rare-x-men-comic-collection-for-sale-to-pay-for-medical-bills/?fbclid=IwAR0eBj-7Cd5RKzV4vPEdV0ouUtZh7t07Ft-YV9SiYNVVYRk8tbYtMtRv70E

1 hour ago, rsouxlja7 said:

But another way to think about this is that the outcome of this auction is actually a positive event for that guy because he gets the much needed funds to pay the medical bills.  Also by looking at the results of the auction, it seems like many of his X-Men books have sold at new record prices relative to their grades so hopefully he receives more than his exceptions. 

Edited by carefulsum

22 hours ago, carefulsum said:

But another way to think about this is that the outcome of this auction is actually a positive event for that guy because he gets the much needed funds to pay the medical bills.  Also by looking at the results of the auction, it seems like many of his X-Men books have sold at new record prices relative to their grades so hopefully he receives more than his exceptions. 

There were so many beautiful books in that collection. 9.8 x-men 12! It was also good to see the x-men 4 sell like it did. I'm glad his auction went well and hope he has enough to pay the bills and buy a lower grade run to keep it going. 

5 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

You say “surprised”; did she pick that out on her own? It’s a really good .5. Has just the right kinds of scars. I could live with that copy for a long time. (thumbsu

Haha good catch :)

The short version of the story is, there are precious few Marvel SA keys I am missing (AF15 and X-Men 1 chief among them). I have been working with a number of folks to find just the right deal to either trade my SA duplicates for an X1, or just outright buy it.

I have kept a running list of potential options for some weeks now - and then on my b’day two weeks ago my wife said, “I want you to buy the X1 copy that you will love”. She is the best by the way :)

I could have gone for a higher grade, but I actually love the charm of a well loved (heavily read) copy that presents well - and I was more than thrilled to be able to get this copy at the price I got it at.

So that was how she surprised me, and although I knew UPS would be leaving it on my doorstep yesterday - it was just as if she handed it to me herself.

She has always known how much having this book in my collection would mean to me (she let me name our son after a particular member of the X-Men after all ha), so while most of my SA key collection is in the 7.0-8.0 range - this 0.5 is probably the most meaningful.

Thanks for the interest!

3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Excellent! My wife’s wedding present to me was a Showcase 4.

...that I spent months looking for and days negotiating!

Sounds to me like you have an amazing better half as well! It isn’t cheap to land a first Barry appearance 😃

Edited by AdamLogan

9 hours ago, AdamLogan said:

Haha good catch :)

The short version of the story is, there are precious few Marvel SA keys I am missing (AF15 and X-Men 1 chief among them). I have been working with a number of folks to find just the right deal to either trade my SA duplicates for an X1, or just outright buy it.

I have kept a running list of potential options for some weeks now - and then on my b’day two weeks ago my wife said, “I want you to buy the X1 copy that you will love”. She is the best by the way :)

I could have gone for a higher grade, but I actually love the charm of a well loved (heavily read) copy that presents well - and I was more than thrilled to be able to get this copy at the price I got it at.

So that was how she surprised me, and although I knew UPS would be leaving it on my doorstep yesterday - it was just as if she handed it to me herself.

She has always known how much having this book in my collection would mean to me (she let me name our son after a particular member of the X-Men after all ha), so while most of my SA key collection is in the 7.0-8.0 range - this 0.5 is probably the most meaningful.

Thanks for the interest!

Congratulations!  Sounds like you, your wife, and little Caliban make a wonderful family.  ;)