• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, woowoo said:

I never gave X-men 1 much thought but i did buy this just to have a copy and the bid was low around 2012. I know back in the 80's UK copy's had the same or more value hm not sure now.  I also want to say that CGC under graded this copy bad.

X-men-1-6.0 UK.jpg

X-men-1-bc--6.0 UK.jpg

Beauty book!! I have quite a few UK silver and bronze books, including X-Men 100.  They tend to sell for a discount, not a premium, but regardless that was an excellent buy!

Edited by spreads
edit

On 11/10/2020 at 7:10 PM, spreads said:

X-Men 1 was a very under-rated key for a long, long time.....funny local story, a guy I know has a beauty 6.0!  A couple years back I tried to workout a cash and trade deal, last I heard he still has it.  Several years back he offered it locally (on the can. craigslist Kijiji) for 2k CAD - which was a bargain to the going rate (I think going rate was around $2500).  He had so many low ball offers, even some cheap that offered him $1900, so he declined them all and kept it -  sometimes the best decision you make, is not pulling the trigger on a deal!

Typical of the buy and flip crowd.

I did a one day round trip flight to Winnipeg last year to pick up an XMen 1-300something run (can’t remember how high it went now) that I noticed on kijiji. The owner had it listed for six months at $8000-$10000 CDN asking price, and had only received lowball offers from local buyers. I finally saw the ad in August, worked out a deal in his asking range in a couple of weeks after having a friend in Winnipeg check it out, and scooped it up. The first four issues graded out: #1 4.5, #2 5.0, #3 5.5, #4 3.5, and there were a number of later SA issues in the 8.0-9.0 range.

Nothing 9.4, though, despite what the grades on the old 1980s bags said. Most of the NM stickered books were FN/VF at best. 😂 

Edited by kimik

14 hours ago, Shags13 said:

Here is mine! Never thought I’d actually own one of these. It’s such a great feeling.  I would love to upgrade to a 5.0 at some point, but not sure when/how that would happen. Either way, it’s good to be part of the club. 
6D52BD1B-9FF3-4481-87F5-0D84663CBFB5.thumb.jpeg.0f539b044223a14ef3899dab31267f0f.jpeg

welcome to the club! Great looking 4.0  :headbang:

2 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

X-Men 1 has to be one of the coolest books of the entire SA. By far my favorite team of all-time. And a great series I enjoyed reading over the years. X-Men 1 should be a top 5 SA not in the lower section of the top 10. I enjoyed all the movies and cartoons and I am looking forward to seen more of them in the future. For years it just did not move and I shock my head many times thinking this is a true gem of the SA.

It's ridiculous imo that it isn't in the same territory as Hulk 1, Amazing 1, etc. It for sure should be a top 5 silver age super-hero book. I think it might finally be on the way now.

5 minutes ago, speedcake said:
2 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

X-Men 1 has to be one of the coolest books of the entire SA. By far my favorite team of all-time. And a great series I enjoyed reading over the years. X-Men 1 should be a top 5 SA not in the lower section of the top 10. I enjoyed all the movies and cartoons and I am looking forward to seen more of them in the future. For years it just did not move and I shock my head many times thinking this is a true gem of the SA.

It's ridiculous imo that it isn't in the same territory as Hulk 1, Amazing 1, etc. It for sure should be a top 5 silver age super-hero book. I think it might finally be on the way now.

It is only a matter of time for it to get there value-wise due to the stable of characters in the franchise. It is a vast library of IP that I am sure Disney will mine. That will keep propelling prices further. The run on the book is only starting, as well as GSX 1. This Nov - Feb season will likely be the last "affordable" time to lock in additional copies of both.

2 hours ago, speedcake said:

Incredible Hulk 1 is an order of magnitude more scarce, so it's hard to imagine X-Men 1 catching up to it.  But who knows.

15 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Incredible Hulk 1 is an order of magnitude more scarce, so it's hard to imagine X-Men 1 catching up to it.  But who knows.

you are correct of course. this has always been the logic with early SA marvel keys. i remember this discussion with a friend 6-7 yrs ago. as you know, these days, popularity from mcu films makes a big difference in demand for a book. if xmen becomes an avengers level franchise in the mcu and they let hulk languish, i think anything is possible...certainly that spec is driving xmen1 prices right now while hulk 1 prices have barely budged for years.

ff1 is much tougher than af15, yet not worth as much. demand can ultimately be more imprtant than supply, within reason. but i still tend to agree with you, more or less. 

9 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

you are correct of course. this has always been the logic with early SA marvel keys. i remember this discussion with a friend 6-7 yrs ago. as you know, these days, popularity from mcu films makes a big difference in demand for a book. if xmen becomes an avengers level franchise in the mcu and they let hulk languish, i think anything is possible...certainly that spec is driving xmen1 prices right now while hulk 1 prices have barely budged for years.

ff1 is much tougher than af15, yet not worth as much. demand can ultimately be more imprtant than supply, within reason. but i still tend to agree with you, more or less. 

It's funny, I remember right before the current Hulk 1 lull,  It was on FIRE and spiked up tremendously! prob the hottest book for a while. Made sense that after the spike it was going to stable/cool down for a while. Still a top 3 marvel SA book :sumo:

Edited by GAMBIT

3 minutes ago, GAMBIT said:

It's funny, I remember right before the current Hulk 1 lull,  It was on FIRE and spiked up tremendously! prob the hottest book for a while. Made sense knew that after that spike it was gonna stable/cool down. Still a top 3 marvel SA book 

yes i remember that. hulk 181 also had a huge spike around 3 years sgo, and then a lull until recently. whereas other keys like jim83 and tos39 have increased fairly steadily the last 5 years.

10 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

yes i remember that. hulk 181 also had a huge spike around 3 years sgo, and then a lull until recently. whereas other keys like jim83 and tos39 have increased fairly steadily the last 5 years.

Hulk 181 = AF 15 as far as bronze age is concerned. The way to play that is to own a Hulk 181 or two, and when 9.4 Hulk 181s jump, load up on lower grade copies and 9.4s of the other Marvel BA keys as they will follow a year later. 

10 hours ago, GAMBIT said:

It's funny, I remember right before the current Hulk 1 lull,  It was on FIRE and spiked up tremendously! prob the hottest book for a while. Made sense that after the spike it was going to stable/cool down for a while. Still a top 3 marvel SA book :sumo:

Hulk 1 was "considered" scarce by the market at that point and was run up by speculators, but it really is not that hard to find a copy if you want one in mid to low grade. High grade is a totally different issue due to the dark cover, similar to AF 15's dark brown. However, like most SA keys, scarcity is only determined by how deep your pockets are.

32 minutes ago, kimik said:

Hulk 1 was "considered" scarce by the market at that point and was run up by speculators, but it really is not that hard to find a copy if you want one in mid to low grade. High grade is a totally different issue due to the dark cover, similar to AF 15's dark brown. However, like most SA keys, scarcity is only determined by how deep your pockets are.

No, look at the CGC census.  There are significantly fewer copies in all grades than, say, X-Men #1.  IIRC the total number of graded copies is about half.

2 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

No, look at the CGC census.  There are significantly fewer copies in all grades than, say, X-Men #1.  IIRC the total number of graded copies is about half.

Agreed, but there are more raw copies out there in collections or up for sale that are not counted by the census. That applies to all of the SA keys.

The point I was trying to make is that speculators drove the prices up higher than the true demand for the book, and like any SA key it is your ability to pay for it that makes it scarce. There are plenty of copies of Hulk 1 on the market now looking for buyers.

14 hours ago, kimik said:

Agreed, but there are more raw copies out there in collections or up for sale that are not counted by the census. That applies to all of the SA keys.

The point I was trying to make is that speculators drove the prices up higher than the true demand for the book, and like any SA key it is your ability to pay for it that makes it scarce. There are plenty of copies of Hulk 1 on the market now looking for buyers.

I'm not in the market for either book any more, so I'm not paying close attention, but it seems to me that X-Men 1s come up all the time (though not as often as AF 15s) whereas Hulk 1s do not.  That's a very unscientific, anecdotal observation, not intended as proof of anything.  I can't comment on how many raw books are out there, but I was always under the impression that Hulk 1-6 were less plentiful, either because of the size of the print run or simply how many have survived over the years.

3 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm not in the market for either book any more, so I'm not paying close attention, but it seems to me that X-Men 1s come up all the time (though not as often as AF 15s) whereas Hulk 1s do not.  That's a very unscientific, anecdotal observation, not intended as proof of anything.  I can't comment on how many raw books are out there, but I was always under the impression that Hulk 1-6 were less plentiful, either because of the size of the print run or simply how many have survived over the years.

That's because you were smart and locked in nice copies of both at way lower prices. (thumbsu

I agree with you that Hulk 1 has traditionally been harder to find than X-Men 1, but a quick look at eBay shows the same number of copies, 13, of each for sale. The supply of X-Men 1s has dried up a bit as speculators hold their positions and collectors are not selling while prices ramp up, but there should be a flood on the market when the movies are announced.