• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,529 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, kimik said:

That's because you were smart and locked in nice copies of both at way lower prices. (thumbsu

I agree with you that Hulk 1 has traditionally been harder to find than X-Men 1, but a quick look at eBay shows the same number of copies, 13, of each for sale. The supply of X-Men 1s has dried up a bit as speculators hold their positions and collectors are not selling while prices ramp up, but there should be a flood on the market when the movies are announced.

Seriously, my X-Men 1 purchase is one of the smartest I've made.  I have a few others that don't make me look like as much of a genius, but let's not talk about those.  lol

There is definitely an observable phenomenon of supply drying up as speculators hold books -- I've never been able to quantify this, but I've felt it like a disturbance in the force at certain times, like when I was buying TOS #52 right around the Black Widow movie announcement.  I have a hunch that FF #4 and #5 have seen a bit of this lately, so if you are seeing it for X-Men #1 I'm not surprised.  It's always so hard to tell if now is the time to buy (as in, that book will never be this cheap again) or to be patient.  I recently had this off-handed thought about maybe upgrading my GSX #1 and X-Men #94 from 9.4 to 9.6, but I'm not sure what the timing for that should be.  I'm in the same boat with ASM #101, thinking about an upgrade but frankly not even seeing 9.6s around (possibly for the same reason, restricted supply).

Looking at GPA, there is a bit of a contagno going on with GSX 1 in 9.4 vs 9.6 - the latest 9.4 sales are at the same level as 9.6s. Now is a good time to buy a 9.6 in that case IMHO as 9.4s are hitting $6-$6.5K, 9.6s are still in the $6ks, and 9.8s are close to $20k.

47 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Yeah but it's CVA so you have to factor in like a 30% premium just for that sticker.

Has anyone sent in a book to CVA and gotten rejected?  How do you determine you have a good looking book for that grade besides people saying hey that book looks better than its grade? 

25 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Has anyone sent in a book to CVA and gotten rejected?  How do you determine you have a good looking book for that grade besides people saying hey that book looks better than its grade? 

I would love to know more about how that works.  It's never occurred to me to submit a book to them, but you're right -- for them to have any credibility they should probably decline to put their sticker on most of the books they get.

For anyone whose sarcasm detector is in the repair shop, I'm just joking around.  I don't think the value of the sticker is zero dollars and zero cents, but I have no way of quantifying its impact on market value.  When I have seen the sticker promoted as a selling point, it has generally (only?) been in the context of an auction, usually ComicLink or ComicConnect.  Those auction houses obviously think the sticker will have a positive impact on auction proceeds.  But I don't know if there's enough data to really tell a clear story.

6 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

all i know is anytime CL has a nice looking book coming up for auction, 2 weeks later it has one of them d u m b stickers on it. pretty sure cva does not actually exist, but rather is just a roll of special tape that CL keeps in their desk drawer. 

2 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Most all of the books with CVA stickers are nicer than the given grade therefore, sell for a premium.  The sticker means nothing.   It's all about the book.  They would sell for a premium without the sticker.  

Agree, though perhaps the sticker draws enough attention for buyers to then size up the book more closely -- and also signals that they won't be the only one noticing that a particular book is nice for the grade.

6 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Most all of the books with CVA stickers are nicer than the given grade therefore, sell for a premium.  The sticker means nothing.   It's all about the book.  They would sell for a premium without the sticker.  

Exactly. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Then grade it higher forget these stickers.

I'm not trying to promote services like CVA or QES, but in theory they specifically highlight features of a book that are not considered in the grading process -- things like centering, staple placement, color strike, etc.  Some of the things they highlight (like sharp corners) would definitely be factored into the grade already.