• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

On 11/24/2020 at 11:49 AM, comicdonna said:

Most all of the books with CVA stickers are nicer than the given grade therefore, sell for a premium.  The sticker means nothing.   It's all about the book.  They would sell for a premium without the sticker.  

i respectfully disagree. the same reason people pay gpa or more for sought after books that in no way resemble the grade on the case is why people pay more for the cvaqes stickers. metropolis and comiclink know this, thats why they either own those companies or subsidize them. people love labels. thats why cgc exists.

CL clearly has a cva guy in the corner just waiting to throw stickers all over their books before each auction. how great looking does a 9.4 white page avengers 57 need to be to get the sticker? its a 9.4wp for crying out loud. are you saying it appears to be a 9.8, therefore the sticker? the stickers are mostly superflous imho. 

7 minutes ago, PKJ said:

Nice.  Two 7.0s sold in close proximity to each other, one for $25.7k at CLink last month and this one for $23.6k at CConnect.  I think the CLink one presents better but nonetheless looks like this grade is taking a nice upward trend since a sale of $14k in March.  But talk about trends . . . 

The most recent 8.5 sold per GPA looks to be one from November which sold for $56k but the second oldest one is from March at $35k.  That 8.5 really took a stair-step type jump in 2020. I don’t think CLink reports to GPA, I wonder if there was an 8.5 in 2020 at CLink?

Regardless, this book is trending in all the right directions if you own.  If you are looking to buy, not so much good news here. 

Usually when I go looking is when the book is setting all time high sales records. Was thinking about a month ago, I need to run down an X-men 1, immediately on fire. It and FF-1 has been books I flirt with all the time.

Phillip

1 minute ago, spreads said:

Well as long as this wasn't your rainy-day/car-repair fund......lol  

Yeah it was what all the cash I had in my savings account.  Since I was getting 0.5% interest, I figured might as well bite the bullet.  

But, I have assets like stocks, bitcoin, that I can immediately liquidate if I need to.  

8 hours ago, spreads said:

Well as long as this wasn't your rainy-day/car-repair fund......lol  

Not sure I would put my last penny into comics but I can say that I think it’s a good idea to diversify investments with them.  At this point slabbed books have shown a nice track record and collectibles in general seem to perform well in times of crises.  Our family has the standard savings accounts along with stocks, 401k retirement, college funds, and a rental investment property.  Plus comics of course and some movie props!  Comics aren’t a huge part of the portfolio but every year I try to convince the wife to let me invest more haha.

On 12/21/2020 at 6:40 PM, Darthbryan said:

Not sure I would put my last penny into comics but I can say that I think it’s a good idea to diversify investments with them.  At this point slabbed books have shown a nice track record and collectibles in general seem to perform well in times of crises.  Our family has the standard savings accounts along with stocks, 401k retirement, college funds, and a rental investment property.  Plus comics of course and some movie props!  Comics aren’t a huge part of the portfolio but every year I try to convince the wife to let me invest more haha.

I find these type of arguments are always a battle with wives.....I had to convince my better half to get internet at the cottage, and now it's completely booked solid for the winter - which will pay all the taxes and utilities for the year.   Same thing with comics, first thing is - why don't you sell it.  Well, I'm not selling my X-Men 1 because it goes up in value every year.  And I don't want to and you can't make me!  xD