• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, PKJ said:

Plus sales Tax... So closer to $6500 ish

Do you guys think that current SA key prices are sustainable? 

It seems a bit nuts to me.  I bought a raw X1 just a few years ago for $1k. CGC graded it a 2.0 

Is that really a $7k book today? There has to be some type of market correction, right? 

Now - every time I've bet against the comic market I've been proven wrong. I've turned down TOS39s, JIM83s and FF1s because I thought better opportunities would pop up, only to regret it as prices continued to climb.  

But this recent run up feels more accelerated and unsustainable. 

@Mmehdy any thoughts on this? 

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

It seems a bit nuts to me.  I bought a raw X1 just a few years ago for $1k. CGC graded it a 2.0 

Is that really a $7k book today? There has to be some type of market correction, right? 

Now - every time I've bet against the comic market I've been proven wrong. I've turned down TOS39s, JIM83s and FF1s because I thought better opportunities would pop up, only to regret it as prices continued to climb.  

Current trajectory, no I do not think it sustains, I also not think it drops to pre 2017 or so prices either. Some of these are the new norm. A lot of this current MCU hype was talked about in 2019 and we did not see the spikes like we are seeing now. I have seen just too many Xmen 1's at shows to believe that if they start coming out in volume they hold up, but I certainly can be wrong. I posted about trying to Buy that Xmen 1 from HA  via buy from owner, he had a buy it now for 8k, I took it, he changed it to 9242 as soon as I submitted the purchase. What I notice now is my 8k offer (which was above market then) is still his highest offer. At some point it will be 9k I assume. Of the bigger keys that is one I do not own, nor never have, always ignored it myself since I grew up with the GSXM 1 as being the key book for us, now that I had planned on grabbing one it is on fire. My focus will be on filling Fantastic Four books I don't have since they are not the flavor of the month.

Edited by PKJ

56 minutes ago, PKJ said:

Current trajectory, no I do not think it sustains, I also not think it drops to pre 2017 or so prices either. Some of these are the new norm. A lot of this current MCU hype was talked about in 2019 and we did not see the spikes like we are seeing now. I have seen just too many Xmen 1's at shows to believe that if they start coming out in volume they hold up, but I certainly can be wrong. I posted about trying to Buy that Xmen 1 from HA  via buy from owner, he had a buy it now for 8k, I took it, he changed it to 9242 as soon as I submitted the purchase. What I notice now is my 8k offer (which was above market then) is still his highest offer. At some point it will be 9k I assume. Of the bigger keys that is one I do not own, nor never have, always ignored it myself since I grew up with the GSXM 1 as being the key book for us, now that I had planned on grabbing one it is on fire. My focus will be on filling Fantastic Four books I don't have since they are not the flavor of the month.

I tend to agree with this.  The momentum will slow, but that doesn't necessarily mean X1 will be cheaper any time soon (or ever again).  

21 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I saw that a CGC 1.8 ended on bids for $6100 on the bay.  If that’s legit, wowzers.

My initial reaction is it is either NOT legit or the Buyer was truly unsophisticated (to put it politely).  Yes a phenomenal (for years underpriced) key on so many levels but sudden inexplicable high sale's prices like this CGC 1.8 on eBay just raises the bar on all the books to the point where you have to imagine there will be some push-back in the market in the future.  Collectors can be very much like Pavlov's dogs but instead of the sound of a bell - collectors are conditioned by the sound of a final hammer on every auction price no matter how unreasonable it seems.  My 2 cents. :preach:

Just now, DocHoppus182 said:

My bad.  After re-reading my comment, I feel like it came off snarky and that was not my intention.  Sorry about that.

Not at all, I am from Georgia, we don't understand words as fast as most people. I was just stating not only is the price insane, the buyer forked over a few hundred more to actually close the deal. I wasn't a fan of the 3.0 on CL that just ended but it looks like a bargain at $6800 compared to this.

13 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

My initial reaction is it is either NOT legit or the Buyer was truly unsophisticated (to put it politely).  Yes a phenomenal (for years underpriced) key on so many levels but sudden inexplicable high sale's prices like this CGC 1.8 on eBay just raises the bar on all the books to the point where you have to imagine there will be some push-back in the market in the future.  Collectors can be very much like Pavlov's dogs but instead of the sound of a bell - collectors are conditioned by the sound of a final hammer on every auction price no matter how unreasonable it seems.  My 2 cents. :preach:

I hear you.  A 2.5 sold this month for 7100, but a 2.0 sold this month for 4700, so who the heck really knows.  I personally believe that eye appeal and PQ have a lot to do with sales, so it’s tough not being able to see each copy recorded when looking at GPA sales.

8 minutes ago, dikran1 said:

I may be biased but I see no reason for this book not to be on par with FF1 prices in similar grades. Demand is definitely stronger among younger collectors who couldn't care less about the FF (minus Dr Doom stuff).

It's an interesting point. FF1 is scarcer. 

I grew up in the Xmen era, but from a collector stand point, X1 was always the little brother to books like FF1, Hulk 1, JIM83... But always ahead of Avengers 1 and DD1 

It seems X1 is catching up to the big boys fast. 

34 minutes ago, Drummy said:

Agreed -- I think the Marvel SA 'big boys' are now AF 15, FF 1, X-Men 1, and Hulk 1.  Everything else is probably a notch below, at least in pricing terms.  TOS 39 and JIM 83 next on the list?

Daredevil also seems to finally be catching up after decades as the red headed (horned?) step child of SA keys lol

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

It's an interesting point. FF1 is scarcer. 

I grew up in the Xmen era, but from a collector stand point, X1 was always the little brother to books like FF1, Hulk 1, JIM83... But always ahead of Avengers 1 and DD1 

It seems X1 is catching up to the big boys fast. 

Agree, FF1 is also from an era when people still were not keeping comics. Having grown up in the 80's (Born in 73) X Men were way cooler than FF but I personally put the original XMen in the same category as the Fantastic Four. To me Giant Size X Men 1 was the true first appearances of the XMen I loved so the original Xmen were like a bygone team to me. That being said as I got older I grew more like to the Fantastic Four mainly due to heritage and as I read some of the stories, found them better than Wolverine going nuts every few issues of Xmen. 

41 minutes ago, PKJ said:

Agree, FF1 is also from an era when people still were not keeping comics. Having grown up in the 80's (Born in 73) X Men were way cooler than FF but I personally put the original XMen in the same category as the Fantastic Four. To me Giant Size X Men 1 was the true first appearances of the XMen I loved so the original Xmen were like a bygone team to me. That being said as I got older I grew more like to the Fantastic Four mainly due to heritage and as I read some of the stories, found them better than Wolverine going nuts every few issues of Xmen. 

But don't forget X-Men 1 also has the first appearance of Magneto - arguably a villain to rival Doom.  So in X-Men #1 you get the original team and concept and a top two Marvel Villain (or maybe anti-hero if you believe "Magneto was Right" :) ).  So to me X-Men #1 easily deserves to be in the same breath as the other top Marvel Silver Age keys (except AF15 which is a cut above) - but I am also a big X-Men fan, so likely bias :)

Just now, Chillax23 said:

But don't forget X-Men 1 also has the first appearance of Magneto - arguably a villain to rival Doom.  So in X-Men #1 you get the original team and concept and a top two Marvel Villain (or maybe anti-hero if you believe "Magneto was Right" :) ).  So to me X-Men #1 easily deserves to be in the same breath as the other top Marvel Silver Age keys (except AF15 which is a cut above) - but I am also a big X-Men fan, so likely bias :)

Biased...Obviously since you used a F4 villain to compare Magneto.....  But if F4 is behind X-Men their villains should not count either, I am kidding as I feel like this has been argued through the halls of every con there has been. 

I agree X-Men are due, I only mention supply based on how many shows I have been to that had multiple X1 available on day one and last day of a show versus 1 or 2 dealers with FF1. That and I guess I now hate it will cost 10K for a nice X1 that was 5K last year.

39 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Agreed, X-Men 1 has earned it's place among the Marvel SA elite. 

I'm not sure exactly how this plays out in terms of value, but I would go AF15 at the top, FF1, Hulk 1, X1 with JIM83 close behind. 

5 hours ago, PKJ said:

Not at all, I am from Georgia, we don't understand words as fast as most people. I was just stating not only is the price insane, the buyer forked over a few hundred more to actually close the deal. I wasn't a fan of the 3.0 on CL that just ended but it looks like a bargain at $6800 compared to this.

I think I just followed you on IG.  For real, not trying to be a creep 😂

9 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I think ultra high grade SA books prior to 1966 will retain value, the in-between books could suffer some price correction. Some  SA books immune like FF1.FF5, AAN1, AF 15 SM 1, 2, 7 etc. I think 1965 or to some extent 1964 would be the cut-off year, yes 1968 was a great year....again buy what you can afford in the best grade possible unrestored with excellent page quality. 

6 hours ago, Drummy said:

Agreed -- I think the Marvel SA 'big boys' are now AF 15, FF 1, X-Men 1, and Hulk 1.  Everything else is probably a notch below, at least in pricing terms.  TOS 39 and JIM 83 next on the list?

jim83 and tos39 are doing just fine. jim83 likely to get a bump again before the next thor movie comes out too. but regardless, both have climbed steadily over the last several years. much more slowly than xmen1 but in a very real and natural way. blue chip all the way on those.