• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, piper said:

I finally took the plunge and picked up this nice presenting all be it low grade copy. Hopefully, I didn’t buy it at the peak of this crazy run up!

3EF1074B-EE06-442B-BE00-28F625DEF31A.jpeg

If you got it for a dime, as the store stamp would suggest, you got a great deal! 

If not, could be a close call. 

Joking aside, that's a beauty! Congratulations. I know from your posts you've been looking for awhile. 

51 minutes ago, PDGray said:

Again, thank you for the welcome.

I owned that particular copy for a long time.  The thieves managed to leave most of my books.  They did get my key issues box along with about 2,000 other books by my guess.  I still have probably 8-9,000 books now and have slowly built back some of what I had.  Most of what I can afford to get now are lower to mid-grade books for the most part.  I like having my display set up.  I posted it in another forum somewhere, but this is a (mostly) Marvel display I have up currently in the attached photo.

I still have my X-Men run from #3-35.  I had two copies of 4 - thieves got one of them along with my GSX1 and 94.  I got another copy of 94 a few years ago, so its not as bad.  The second row from the top, with the X-Men are all signed by Chris Claremont.  I was fortunate enough to meet him in Kansas City almost two years ago.  Anyway, here is what I have in the display currently.  I could probably do this 2-3 times with Marvels and not duplicate anything.  I could do the same with my DC books. 

PDG

20210202_112450.jpg

Great display! I'm glad you get to enjoy them!

5 hours ago, piper said:

I finally took the plunge and picked up this nice presenting all be it low grade copy. Hopefully, I didn’t buy it at the peak of this crazy run up!

If your luck is similar to my luck, then, yes, you probably bought it at its peak. :pullhair:

What are the kids saying nowadays? Xmen1🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🌛🌛🌛🌛🌛🌛😂

7 hours ago, piper said:

4 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:

X-Men 1 is super cheap look at this insane price for this modern Jordan card yes I know the card well but insane at almost $1.5 million dollars.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/basketball-cards/singles-1980-now-/1997-upper-deck-game-jersey-michael-jordan-autograph-gj13s-psa-nm-7-auto-8-d-8-23/a/50039-50196.s?ic=www-hero-Sports-basketballIcons-viewLots-50039-020521

Geez makes every single Silver age key look dirt cheap. The sports card market has lost it's mind in the last 6-8 months. So many cards selling in the 250k or higher range all modern day created rarities.

This feels like an apples and oranges comparison.  I don't know much about cards but I do know that the card you're pointing out is really three things -- a card, a piece of a jersey, and an autograph.  There is also the manufactured scarcity aspect -- looks like this card is one of only 23, but some of them are "1 of 1," designed to be unique from the beginning.  Supply does factor into the equation.

Just now, Batmanis#1 said:

Simple junk sells for $1.5 million dollars. You can buy a TEC27 for that.

I don't know what to tell you.  I'm not a card collector and I don't have any particular passion for it, so I can't defend the price that card fetched.

But then, I love comics and I can't defend the prices they fetch, either.

Whatever the market -- stocks, comics, cards -- there are those who assign value to the thing itself, and then there are the many speculators who care much less about the underlying asset than they do about their bet on how the (perceived) value of that asset will grow over time.

And like it or not, at least right now there seems to be a hell of a lot more money in the card market than the comics market.  I'm sure a lot of those people would consider most comics to be "simple junk" as well.

Card prices are completely insane right now. PSA 10 Jordan rookies were $30-50k a year ago. Now they are $700k...and there are hundreds of examples in that grade.. That's the definition of ludicrous. It's a bubble, it will pop, and it will end in tears.

...and you can buy an entire game used Jordan jersey, not just a postage stamp sized cut-up piece stuck on some cardboard, for less than that card brought. Makes zero sense.

10 minutes ago, october said:

Card prices are completely insane right now. PSA 10 Jordan rookies were $30-50k a year ago. Now they are $700k...and there are hundreds of examples in that grade.. That's the definition of ludicrous. It's a bubble, it will pop, and it will end in tears.

...and you can buy an entire game used Jordan jersey, not just a postage stamp sized cut-up piece stuck on some cardboard, for less than that card brought. Makes zero sense.

I can't argue with that!  In fact, I accept your premise as true.

Which is why I don't think the crazy valuations on cards should form the basis for an assertion that X-Men #1 (or any other comic) is undervalued.  This is not to say that I don't believe X-Men #1 will continue to grow.  I just don't think "look at the crazy price on this Jordan card" is necessarily the best justification for why.

10 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Simple junk sells for $1.5 million dollars. You can buy a TEC27 for that.

A card collector would say he could buy a one of a kind Jordan collectible for the price of a Tec27. Perspective 😉

Not to mention what common mortals are thinking they could do with the money flowing into the collectibles market...