• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, october said:

Card prices are completely insane right now. PSA 10 Jordan rookies were $30-50k a year ago. Now they are $700k...and there are hundreds of examples in that grade.. That's the definition of ludicrous. It's a bubble, it will pop, and it will end in tears.

...and you can buy an entire game used Jordan jersey, not just a postage stamp sized cut-up piece stuck on some cardboard, for less than that card brought. Makes zero sense.

yes this is really the point, and i think its one reason the sports card world was dead for so long, until more recently. what would you want more, a sports card of your favorite player, or the actual jersey they wore in a game? seems like a no-brainer as to which is more special and valued by most people. a sports card has no connection to the person. a mickey mantle rookie card has more significance i guess because in that era, everyone collected baseball cards, and that era is long past so it is a nostalgic item. why modern cards are so hot is truly baffling. i suppose the popularity of NBA globally really helps. but it does not seem sustainable in the way that key comics values have been reliably on the uptick for a few decades now. 

Everyone stating the sports card market is insane is correct(so is Pokemon). I personally only collect Mantle for Baseball but have or had Rookies of the the big boys of all sports. I have owned a Greztky OPC rookie forever that I paid $40 bucks for way back due to it having a crease, that card is at PSA right now to be slabbed and sold as even junk versions of that card are selling for 2k.

On Jordan. I have a few items and agree I would rather have a game used shoes since his shoes were a large part of most of our lives when we grew up in the 80's. I wanted to get a 8.5 of his rookie card for a while and have had an auto alert on it for years, was second bidder on several for about a grand. A friend asked about buying one and I showed him this. The screenshot is a search with "at the time" a crazy ask for a 8.5 with a buy it now of 7500 and on the right is the buy it now is currently for the same grade card. This is a 3 month spread mind you, not a year ago or two years ago, October to Late January. 

I do think the modern card chasers are in for a huge let down, much like those of us who chased Gregg Jefferies RC's in the 80's. 

B8CDD49F-EED6-4814-97B6-50FBCBA2A1D2.JPG

Edited by PKJ

On 2/7/2021 at 8:44 AM, PKJ said:

Everyone stating the sports card market is insane is correct(so is Pokemon). I personally only collect Mantle for Baseball but have or had Rookies of the the big boys of all sports. I have owned a Greztky OPC rookie forever that I paid $40 bucks for way back due to it having a crease, that card is at PSA right now to be slabbed and sold as even junk versions of that card are selling for 2k.

On Jordan. I have a few items and agree I would rather have a game used shoes since his shoes were a large part of most of our lives when we grew up in the 80's. I wanted to get a 8.5 of his rookie card for a while and have had an auto alert on it for years, was second bidder on several for about a grand. A friend asked about buying one and I showed him this. The screenshot is a search with "at the time" a crazy ask for a 8.5 with a buy it now of 7500 and on the right is the buy it now is currently for the same grade card. This is a 3 month spread mind you, not a year ago or two years ago, October to Late January. 

I do think the modern card chasers are in for a huge let down, much like those of us who chased Gregg Jefferies RC's in the 80's. 

B8CDD49F-EED6-4814-97B6-50FBCBA2A1D2.JPG

Haha funny you mentioned the bolded part because that was when I sold my 8.5 Jordan rookie :pullhair: Who would've known it would reach to $20k right now.  Only reason why I wanted to sell it is because the card had a small "fish eye" at the bottom border which bugged the heck out of me.  I was intending to upgrade to a 9 but got distracted by other things...  Oh well.

Edited by Dark Knight

4 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Haha funny you mentioned the bolded part because that was when I sold my 8.5 Jordan rookie :pullhair: Who would've known it would reach to $20k right now

Certainly not me, I was underbidder on probably 4-5 when they were selling for $1400 a few years ago, since they never really moved from that point I would always bail at $1400, those cards never moved that fast then all of the sudden insane trajectory. In 2019 it started to bump above 2K then a year later it was 6k, six months later 20k, I think we all know if a comic does that the sell off is coming.

Yeah I remember seeing something similar several years ago where the same card just all of a sudden jumped up in value and then in less than a year dropped back down to earth. Some say it was due to some "buyer's group" that artificially were pumping up the price. So yeah I know that a bottom is coming. What goes up, must come down with practically every single investment type I've seen.

2 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

FOMO running wild ....

Nailed it, the Heritage copy I mentioned a while back being overpriced, scooped up at around the same time all these sold.

55 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:

The X-Men the only team I never got bored of. Great story line and characters. Magneto one of the coolest villains of all-time. I enjoyed every movie they made and I am looking forward to new cartoons and movies. Maybe even a cool video game would be nice even for this old man.

Pizza + Ice-T + X-men = awesome evening!!!

Agreed - and I feel like the best part of X-Men #1 is that you get the team and concept of the X-Men PLUS Magneto.  I will admit my bias and state that Magneto is a top five comic character of all time for me - just a really complex villain turned anti-hero, turned villain, turned hero. #Magnetowasright :)

I am also looking forward to the MCU version of the X-Men - I felt Fox really nailed it with First Class and Logan then it fell apart a bit - so excited to have the rights in the hands of Disney/MCU.

I think this book still has room to grow - even though I downgraded my copy from a 4.0 to a 2.5 recently :) 

7 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Agreed - and I feel like the best part of X-Men #1 is that you get the team and concept of the X-Men PLUS Magneto.  I will admit my bias and state that Magneto is a top five comic character of all time for me - just a really complex villain turned anti-hero, turned villain, turned hero. #Magnetowasright :)

I am also looking forward to the MCU version of the X-Men - I felt Fox really nailed it with First Class and Logan then it fell apart a bit - so excited to have the rights in the hands of Disney/MCU.

I think this book still has room to grow - even though I downgraded my copy from a 4.0 to a 2.5 recently :) 

What are youre top 5 x-men storylines from the last 20 years. 

Mine in no particular order:

Morrison

Wheedon

Hickman (hox pox)

Remender X-force

Williams, Kent: Wolverine Meltdown

1 hour ago, Mr bla bla said:

What are youre top 5 x-men storylines from the last 20 years. 

Mine in no particular order:

Morrison

Wheedon

Hickman (hox pox)

Remender X-force

Williams, Kent: Wolverine Meltdown

New X-Men, Astonishing X-Men (Whedon only) and House of X/Power of X are all excellent.  I read these all fairly recently in Omnibus format.  For me I stopped reading after Byrne left the title and they started doing did all the crazy crossover events.  New X-Men et al was such as refreshing change after the 90's crapola.

10 hours ago, drotto said:

This book is still on a rampage.  I always compare to  4.5 (because I own one), one recently sold for $11200 after basically a record setting 10k sale only a month earlier.

Dang, I sold a 5.0 last year for much less than that.  Time to fire up the DeLorean.  

Here is my new copy - downgraded from a 4.0 to the 2.5 below and just got it back from reholdering (needed to get it into the new slab): 

9CAB2886-DD98-447D-955C-E7EFEC14A60C.thumb.jpeg.b7ad46d4cd95f61bcf72422e9af51ec2.jpeg

Sorry for the bad pic - but it’s a good looking 2.5 in hand (the colours are quite nice - but it is the lighter green “variant” hahahahaha). 

Just picked up a 5.5 recently. Didn't realize how popular the book was, just saw an opportunity. I don't know how many will agree with me, but Magneto is my favorite first appearance in the book. Also something very few will agree with I enjoyed X-Men Apocalypse 

55 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Just picked up a 5.5 recently. Didn't realize how popular the book was, just saw an opportunity. I don't know how many will agree with me, but Magneto is my favorite first appearance in the book. Also something very few will agree with I enjoyed X-Men Apocalypse 

Magneto is easily my favourite appearance in the book - such a great character.