• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

On 2/8/2021 at 11:29 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

I would be a seller if I owned sports cards every last one of them would be sold right now and buy a nice home in a nice place all paid off.

Maybe those card guys are saying the same thing about comics!  lol

11 hours ago, dikran1 said:

This book has always had so much going for it... SEVEN (!!!!) major first appearances? Check. All time classic villain? Check. Number 1? Check. Societal importance? Check. Pop culture relevance? Check.
I’ll never stop pumping this book's tires! 😂

Agreed 

Arguably Magneto is one of the biggest supervillains of all time and in the top 3 in Marvel comics with Doom and Green Goblin. I would say he rivals Joker.

I'm not a fan of Professor X, just saying he isn't the most prolific X-Man (that title probably goes to Wolverine)

To have that many First Appearances on the SuperTeam is amazing

I'd say the book is definitely in the top 5 grails at Marvel

1. AF 15

2. FF 1

3. IH 1

4. X-Men 1

and then you have TOS 39, JIM 83, CA 1

11 hours ago, Kevlar568 said:

Hello all! 

first time poster, long time lurker - I’ve been seriously collecting for about 20 years and recently picked up a gorgeous CGC 4.5 - a month ago (I’ll post a picture once I figure out how to!)

On the topic of X1’s rank in the SA Marvel hierarchy, I personally feel that X1’s recent explosion is long overdue. While I appreciate and understand the more historical ranking of IH1 over it, I myself feel that the top 3 should probably be FF1, AF15, X1. 

FF1 is THE first SA “Marvel” book, it kicks off the legendary Kirby/Lee run that transitions Marvel from the atlas/monster era into superheroes, and the level of creativity and influence/characters and concepts that came from the SA FF run can never be overstated. 

AF15 needs no explanation, obviously Spider-Man is Marvel’s top dog and the sheer amount of books, characters, spin-offs, films/ branding makes Spider-Man arguably a top 3 comic book character period. 

Now I can understand from a historical/collecting standpoint having IH1 as a top 3 book, but outside of being a little older, perceived scarcity and a tougher dark cover - how does the Hulk character stack up? He’s a Jekyll/Hyde type monster character that helped bridge the gap between the Kirby monster books into the superhero books (along side FF’s Thing/Ben Grimm) with some Cold War atomic flair. The X-men, by comparison have near limitless storytelling possibilities with endless characters and concepts that continue to this day. Hulk has also been nowhere NEAR as popular or as influential as the X-men, where X1 gives you multiple important first appearances, the origin of the entire mutant concept, AND a villain first appearance in Magneto, who has arguably become a top 3 Marvel villain of all time. 

Think about every mutant character ever made in marvel tracing their origins directly back to X1. Think about every single version of an “X” team tracing its original back to X1. Yeah X-men’s original run was not as popular in the 60s, and it fell into reprints until GSX1, but the concept/brand has only grown larger decade after decade, where Hulk has had some time in the spotlight but is ultimately a lesser creation by comparison. 

But hey, that’s just my opinion :headbang:

First off, welcome to the boards. 

There was a pretty lively debate about this in the "SA comics that are heating up" thread. 

I'm still a Hulk 1 guy personally.  

11 hours ago, dikran1 said:

Oh boy!

912AFD12-1F1E-4FA2-AFD4-F4D43447D632.jpeg

i've never thought comics as a collectible would enter a bubble phase, but if this is not faked, which is certainly possible, i fear we may have entered a bubble. price jumps for sh*t copies like this are totally unsustainable, and make me more fearful of a hard crash. so many collectors will be priced out at this point, it will be impossible to replace them. 

5130 is not a lot of copies.  Take away the ten copies @G.A.tor has in stock and the demand > the supply.   Plus, many of these 5,130 copies are locked away in collections forever.

Even more, there's only 3656 Universal Label copies out there. 

1.jpg.ca6b52cc27f6c5f3eadc0668f2374783.jpg

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon
greggy is a dork