• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,529 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, StarkEnterprises1 said:

Hi all,

I haven't posted on this forum for quite a few years now but I got talking with my father last night about collectables and mentioned my copy of X-Men 1 to him and I was wondering what the current market is for this book. Having looked through this thread, it seems to be one of the hot Silver Age books right now. I'm so glad I got my copy when I did as I'd never afford even a low grade copy nowadays. I've also realised that I've never posted a picture of my copy in this thread so here it is:

CBF036D4-5C29-4F20-B323-F7E635E28ACB.jpeg

My parents used to try and talk me out of buying comics like this years ago.  I love telling them how much money they are now.  They’re not scolding me anymore.

5 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

My parents used to try and talk me out of buying comics like this years ago.  I love telling them how much money they are now.  They’re not scolding me anymore.

Ha! I was already an adult by the time I bought X-Men 1 but I get what you're saying. I got my copy about 6 years ago for $1500. I didn't tell my parents at the time how much I paid for it but after seeing what copies in a similar grade to mine are going for now, I'm certainly not complaining and neither are they!

2 hours ago, StarkEnterprises1 said:

Ha! I was already an adult by the time I bought X-Men 1 but I get what you're saying. I got my copy about 6 years ago for $1500. I didn't tell my parents at the time how much I paid for it but after seeing what copies in a similar grade to mine are going for now, I'm certainly not complaining and neither are they!

Ha ha.  I was an adult when I bought mine too in 2010 for $800.  They still thought I was nuts.  Not anymore though.  With all the instability on prices of Marvel keys right now I got nervous and asked my parents for a loan to buy Strange Tales #110 (1st Dr Strange) and to my surprise they said yes!  I just pulled the trigger on one!  Yea!  

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000
Wrong info

1 hour ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Ha ha.  I was an adult when I bought mine too in 2010 for $800.  They still thought I was nuts.  Not anymore though.  With all the instability on prices of Marvel keys right now I got nervous and asked my parents for a loan to buy Strange Tales #110 (1st Dr Strange) and to my surprise they said yes!  I just pulled the trigger on one!  Yea!  Anyway I’m watching a 3.5 X-men 1 on eBay right now and there’s a day left and it’s already over $11,000.  I’m so glad I’m like you and got it when I did.  I can’t afford $12000 for a comic 

Been following that auction myself. Just as a heads up though, it’s for issues #1-10 and not just X-Men #1 by itself.

6 minutes ago, jjfversion1 said:

Been following that auction myself. Just as a heads up though, it’s for issues #1-10 and not just X-Men #1 by itself.

Was listed briefly on here for 17K

StarkEnterprises - You asked what your book is worth - I'm not sure  - the market is transitioning even as I type, but you can certainly get an idea from the two sales listed on the previous page.  The 1.5 went for $7800 - which translates to about $5,200 per grade point (1.5 x $5200 = $7800).  The price transition is real since gocollect estimates the value of a 1.5 at $4900.  Clearly the market is changing right now - creating some relative bargains as some weak hands - eager hands - flipper hands - old timers cashing out will jump to soon or fail to respond ot the changing market - perhaps thinking the book will fall back in price or having reached their own personal pricing goals.  

This makes it a challenge to know what the market is for an X-men 1 at the moment and what  X1 will sell for - once the dust settles?  

There is a 6.5 copy for $40K right now on the boards and there is a 6.0 copy on ebay for 40k also a 6.5 copy for 35k.  The price variations on grade reflect the price transition.

There is also on ebay a 5.5 copy for $23,500 (about $5200 a point) and a 4.0 copy for the same price? What's up with that ... again I say price transition.

There is also a 4.5 copy on ebay for 16 which is less than 4 thousand a point.

Pricing seems to be all over the place from a little less than $4,000 a point to around $6 thousand a point  at the moment. 

I'm watching the 6.0 copy in the comiclink auction which is still at $17k with a day to go.  That's currently less than $3000 a point, it will of course hammer down for a much higher price - but at the moment it is a veritable bargain.

For comparisions sake Gocollect values Amazing Fantasy 15 at around $10k or $60k for a 6.0  - -

If X1 runs to $8k a point - that would be $48k for a 6.0 copy.  Quite a bit less than than a Fantasy 15 - but certainly higher than current prices. 

What is the price of an X1 now anyway and what will it be when the dust settles?  Anybody else care to chime in? 

21 minutes ago, blackterror said:

StarkEnterprises - You asked what your book is worth - I'm not sure  - the market is transitioning even as I type, but you can certainly get an idea from the two sales listed on the previous page.  The 1.5 went for $7800 - which translates to about $5,200 per grade point (1.5 x $5200 = $7800).  The price transition is real since gocollect estimates the value of a 1.5 at $4900.  Clearly the market is changing right now - creating some relative bargains as some weak hands - eager hands - flipper hands - old timers cashing out will jump to soon or fail to respond ot the changing market - perhaps thinking the book will fall back in price or having reached their own personal pricing goals.  

This makes it a challenge to know what the market is for an X-men 1 at the moment and what  X1 will sell for - once the dust settles?  

There is a 6.5 copy for $40K right now on the boards and there is a 6.0 copy on ebay for 40k also a 6.5 copy for 35k.  The price variations on grade reflect the price transition.

There is also on ebay a 5.5 copy for $23,500 (about $5200 a point) and a 4.0 copy for the same price? What's up with that ... again I say price transition.

Pricing seems to be all over the place from a little less than $4,000 a point to around $6 thousand a point  at the moment. 

I'm watching the 6.0 copy in the comiclink auction which is still at $17k with a day to go.  That's currently less than $3000 a point, it will of course hammer down for a much higher price - but at the moment it is a veritable bargain.

For comparisions sake Gocollect values Amazing Fantasy 15 at around $10k or $60k for a 6.0  - -

If X1 runs to $8k a point - that would be $48k for a 6.0 copy.  Quite a bit less than than a Fantasy 15 - but certainly higher than current prices. 

What is the price of an X1 now anyway and what will it be when the dust settles?  Anybody else care to chime in? 

As someone who had many years to acquire an X-Men #1 but didn't (I considered biting the bullet and looking for a 6.0 last October but never followed through... :frustrated:), prices seem crazy right now, and I suspect sellers are asking for the moon and settling for less considering how much prices for this book have skyrocketed just in the last month...if I remember correctly, about a month ago a few 6.0 copies were offered up for sale on these boards for between $15,000 and $17,500.

I have no idea how to value this book at the moment, and it feels like I can't even refer to GPA right now to get a handle on things because prices are jumping so quickly.

To your point, at some time in the future I'd assume people will start liquidating their copies if they're bearish on prices staying at their current levels.

However, this book could end up becoming the IH #181 and ASM #300 of the Silver Age where demand constantly outstrips supply and prices remain high...only time will tell.

We're living in crazy times right now...hard to believe a year ago that I (and several others) thought comic prices might take a hit because of the economic impacts of COVID.

Edited by silverseeker
Added the grade I wanted to buy.

2021 looks as if it is going to be as interesting as 2020 when it comes to this book.  With a little more than a day left, the C-Link auction already has historical high bids for an 8.0, 6.0 and 4.5.  It appears that the 8.0 is already $15k over the past sale in 2020.  Will be interesting to watch for sure.  

And I know this is an X-Men 1 group but I’d be remiss to not mention the bump GS X-Men 1 is also getting, with C-Link already having historical high bids for a 9.8 and 9.6 with a few hours left.  

I guess if you already own them, it’s a good time to have some mutant keys.  How much higher can these books go?  I’ve always thought that X-Men 1 should have aligned a little more with AF15 in terms of skyrocketing value and I guess the market has begun to respond. 

Edited by Darthbryan

22 minutes ago, silverseeker said:

As someone who had many years to acquire an X-Men #1 but didn't (I considered biting the bullet and looking for a 6.0 last October but never followed through... :frustrated:), prices seem crazy right now, and I suspect sellers are asking for the moon and settling for less considering how much prices for this book have skyrocketed just in the last month...if I remember correctly, about a month ago a few 6.0 copies were offered up for sale on these boards for between $15,000 and $17,500.

I have no idea how to value this book at the moment, and it feels like I can't even refer to GPA right now to get a handle on things because prices are jumping so quickly.

To your point, at some time in the future I'd assume people will start liquidating their copies if they're bearish on prices staying at their current levels.

However, this book could end up becoming the IH #181 and ASM #300 of the Silver Age where demand constantly outstrips supply and prices remain high...only time will tell.

We're living in crazy times right now...hard to believe a year ago that I (and several others) thought comic prices might take a hit because of the economic impacts of COVID.

Your not kidding. I posted in those threads anticipating collectors would start dumping books as they faced economic hardship.  

Hopefully any collectors who did face economic hardship got take advantage of this crazy market before selling anything. 

In any event, I've been proven wrong with my market predictions. 

15 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

Hopefully any collectors who did face economic hardship got take advantage of this crazy market before selling anything.

I totally agree, and economically-impacted collectors being able to take advantage of the current market is definitely a silver lining to the craziness...

Darthbryan as you noted - Giant Size X1 - is also on the move - along with X94 I might add.  These books also indicate the revaluation of the X books is underway and now the question is where if anywhere is there an X book that still has crazy upside?

It's FF4 - and the first silver age appearance of Namor.  The Sub-mariner is Marvels' FIRST MUTANT.   Namor possesses among other abilities the mutant ability of flight.  His golden age appearances are well ... golden, but his appearance in FF4 is like a race car with the wheels spinning - I am watching the two copies in tonight's auction as yet another sign of what's up with the X-men.  Of course other things can drive the FF4 price - it is a 1962 Marvel - and Subby is one of Marvel/Timely's original big 3 (HT, SM, and CA) from the golden age.   So when Namor - finally appears on the big screen and comes into the public consciousness - whoa nelly the price will jump!  

Of interest ... In FF Annual #1 July 1963 Namor is referred to as  "possibly the first known mutant" and later in X-Men 6 when Professor X and Magneto hear of a powerful new mutant - it's Namor and they both see his value for their respective causes.  Namor eventually joins the X-Men in Uncanny X-Men #513

Just another X book to watch...

Edited by blackterror

I'm so, so incredibly glad I moved fast and got my copy at late 2020 prices, rather than try to wait and save up just a little more for a little better copy.  If I were looking at settling for a .5 or 1.0 now for the same money I would probably be deciding to wait even longer and that might just mean I'd never own a complete copy of X-Men #1.

I got a great copy courtesy of @G.A.tor and am just astonished at what keeps happening with this book. I can sit back and watch now.  I have a decent #94, but don't have a GSX #1 so that might be the book I may never have, if prices keep going on it. I'm ok with that.

I'll keep working hard on completing the run, and having the #1 in the bag is making that so much easier.

now if anyone has a nice lower grade X-Men #14 that they are willing to part with, shoot me a pm. It's the next on my list to acquire.  Where the heck are all those copies?  :roflmao:

Another one I am waiting on is #4. Wandavision has that one going nuts, and while I'd not expect it to ever be as cheap again as it was up to last year, I hope it does come down after this tv show buzz passes. 

Edited by speedcake

6 hours ago, blackterror said:

So you think it's $5200 per grade point? 

A 2.0 would be $10,400? 

I have a 2.0 and that might be pushing the boundaries of my most valuable book. Which is crazy because just months ago it wasn't top 5. 

Hey KCO - that $5200 a point value is based on just one sale - the 1.5 copy on the previous page.  To be fair the page before in this thread referenced a 3.0 copy that sold for $9550 - which would be $3200 a point ... that's quite a difference.

As I said in my initial comment, "Pricing seems to be all over the place at the moment - from a little less than $4,000 a point to around $6 thousand a point."

Personally, If I had a 2.0 copy myself, I wouldn't want to sell it for less than the 1.5 which sold for $7800.  I also tend to be conservative in my thinking - so just for the sake of shooting the breeze $8,000 is more realistic than $10,400 at this moment ... but we'll have a lot better idea after the comiclink auction tonight.  The auction will give us 4 new data points, and since the books are setting up to establish new market highs in a wide range of grades. - that bodes well for your copy being worth more rather than less.

Edited by blackterror

5 hours ago, blackterror said:

Hey KCO - that $5200 a point value is based on just one sale - the 1.5 copy on the previous page.  To be fair the page before that had a reference to a 3.0 copy that sold for $9550 which would be $3200 a point ... that's quite a difference.

In my initial comment I said, "Pricing seems to be all over the place from a little less than $4,000 a point to around $6 thousand a point  at the moment."

Personally, If I had a 2.0 copy myself I wouldn't want to sell it for less than the 1.5 which sold for $7800.  I also tend to be conservative in my thinking - so just for the sake of shooting the breeze $8,000 is more realistic than $10,400 at this moment ... but we'll have a lot better idea after the comiclink auction tomorrow night.  It will give us 4 new data points, and since the books are setting up to establish new market highs. - that bodes well for your copy being worth more rather than less.

Appreciate the response. 

One way or another, I have no plans to sell it any time soon. 

I'm just curious to see how high it can go. 

18 hours ago, blackterror said:

Darthbryan as you noted - Giant Size X1 - is also on the move - along with X94 I might add.  These books also indicate the revaluation of the X books is underway and now the question is where if anywhere is there an X book that still has crazy upside?

#94 has definitely caught fire.  I do wonder if people are throwing money at that book since the other keys in the run have gotten unattainable for the regular collector.  I’m happy to see X-Men 1 finally catching some real fire (and GSX1 for that matter), after watching for years now Amazing Fantasy 15 move itself into another level.  I know the X-men don’t have the same marketing cache as Spider-Man but they are just as important in my eyes and Magneto is a Top 3 villain IMO.

4 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Appreciate the response. 

One way or another, I have no plans to sell it any time soon. 

I'm just curious to see how high it can go. 

Same here. I just find it incredible how much this book has shot up in value over the past year. The same goes for GSX1 and X-Men 94 which, fortunately, I also have copies of. Seems like I've really lucked out with key X-Men books!

There's always a lot of talk about FOMO. I was most definitely in that category last summer, when I purchased my GSXM #1 CGC 7.5 for approximately $1,800. According to GPAnalysis, the most recent sale of this book was for $4,999, which occurred this month. So, what I guess I'm trying to say, FOMO doesn't always lead to bad results.

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:

There's always a lot of talk about FOMO. I was most definitely in that category last summer, when I purchased my GSXM #1 CGC 7.5 for approximately $1,800. According to GPAnalysis, the most recent sale of this book was for $4,999, which occurred this month. So, what I guess I'm trying to say, FOMO doesn't always lead to bad results.

That is a good point - that was the same for me when I bought my Hulk 181 CGC 5.0 for $1,900 in December 2019 (I thought I had overpaid - but wanted a copy back in the collection). Now I am laughing.

If you are buying X-Men 1 right now - as a collector, I think you need to be of the opinion that it has to be in your personal collection and if you don’t add it you will always regret it - ie., I feel like it has reached a price level where it has to be one of your favourite books and must haves - and if is, then add it and if it falls a bit or a fair amount it really shouldn’t bother you that much. If it isn’t one of your top books then it has reached the price level where it can’t just be a “nice to have”  

I know for me it is my favorite book in my collection (although my TOS39 and BB28 give it a good run 😁).