• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, drbanner said:

I was thinking more along the lines of the origin/story depicted on the cover (e.g. the iconic panel where Peter is bit or where the cosmic rays permeate the spacecraft). I believe Hulk 1 is the only major key like this?

Yep it does a total origin story, I think Spideys would have been tougher cus they would have had to do uncle Ben then the radioactive spider bite, but Hulks was definitely everything in one

Edited by Hollywood1892

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Yep it does a total origin story, I think Spideys would have been tougher cus they would have had to do uncle Ben then the radioactive spider bite, but Hulks was definitely everything in one

Totally agree! 

I can not express how much I love the Hulk 1 cover. The art, the story, the personal connection of always wanting that book. 

AF15 is the obvious king and FF1 is really special to me. But Hulk 1 is my personal favorite grail of SA marvel. 

1 minute ago, KCOComics said:

Totally agree! 

I can not express how much I love the Hulk 1 cover. The art, the story, the personal connection of always wanting that book. 

AF15 is the obvious king and FF1 is really special to me. But Hulk 1 is my personal favorite grail of SA marvel. 

It is definitely a beautiful book and supremely popular, and not impacted whatsoever by movie hoopla. I think I might have to save up for a copy

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

It is definitely a beautiful book and supremely popular, and not impacted whatsoever by movie hoopla. I think I might have to save up for a copy

I just completed my Hulk 1 - 6. 

My 1 is trimmed and the cover is faded.  I may try to upgrade to a Blue label. I just need to decide what I want to do next with the market where it is. 

I wanted to go after a complete AF15 (I have one with a missing BC). But if it starts taking off, I won't be able to save fast enough. So I just need to figure out my next move. 

With things the way they are, SA marvel keys have become a very expensive space to play in! 

1 minute ago, KCOComics said:

My 1 is trimmed and the cover is faded.  I may try to upgrade to a Blue label. I just need to decide what I want to do next with the market where it is. 

I wanted to go after a complete AF15 (I have one with a missing BC). But if it starts taking off, I won't be able to save fast enough. So I just need to figure out my next move. 

With things the way they are, SA marvel keys have become a very expensive space to play in! 

The market fluctuations are insane right now. I was very fortunate to get my X-Men when I did, but sadly when you move to grail territory it is all you want and as you said prices are going up too quickly

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

I can’t seem to find any of the key comics I want with any of the dealers or Facebook pages I am on but I have not tried Instagram yet, would you suggest waiting or try my luck in the Auctions?

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

The market fluctuations are insane right now. I was very fortunate to get my X-Men when I did, but sadly when you move to grail territory it is all you want and as you said prices are going up too quickly

I am not having much success finding what I want but then I have only been looking for a week and I am not sure how long it usually takes.

5 minutes ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

I can’t seem to find any of the key comics I want with any of the dealers or Facebook pages I am on but I have not tried Instagram yet, would you suggest waiting or try my luck in the Auctions?

I suspect some people who have key books are afraid to sell right now because prices keep climbing so quickly, leading to less books being available?

Edited by silverseeker
Minor tweak.

20 minutes ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

I am not having much success finding what I want but then I have only been looking for a week and I am not sure how long it usually takes.

Well it depends what you want and how your money looks

I'd suggest comiclink and sites like that, also using the market wtb here on the forums, and it depends where u live

I have some great connections here in Canada

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Well it depends what you want and how your money looks

I'd suggest comiclink and sites like that, also using the market wtb here on the forums, and it depends where u live

I have some great connections here in Canada

I have looked at comic link, comic connect and Heritage but Heritage has a big buyers commission, not sure about CL and CC but all of them have stuff I want. I looked at the WTB on the forum but noticed that many of the WTB’s did not receive any replies so it didn’t look that productive. I live in the UK but as I collect cents copies I am happy to deal with people in the States. Would it be anymore complicated buying from Canada and shipping to the UK?

47 minutes ago, silverseeker said:

I suspect some people who have key books are afraid to sell right now because prices keep climbing so quickly, leading to less books being available?

I have had many conversations with the owner of my LCS, that key issues from the Bronze age and earlier are starting to dry up.  He has told me he has seen a significant uptick in investor types coming into his store looking for books.  People he knows are not going to be regular customers, but are just trying to make money. The demand is far outpacing the supply (obvious by the prices). Those that are available are being sold primarily on high visibility site like Heritage, Clink, and even eBay

1 hour ago, drotto said:

I have had many conversations with the owner of my LCS, that key issues from the Bronze age and earlier are starting to dry up.  He has told me he has seen a significant uptick in investor types coming into his store looking for books.  People he knows are not going to be regular customers, but are just trying to make money.

I think some of this is happening.  These are people that hear X-Men #1 is a good investment and they just spend whatever it takes to get one, they have no idea what the real market value is.  I have seen a lot of this on IG with key silver age issues.  According to the GPA, a 9.8 GS X-Men #1 sold for 12,500 in 2008, and there was not another 5 figure sale until 2017.  When everybody is telling you the prices will never stop going up, it is the time to start worrying.

5 hours ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

I have looked at comic link, comic connect and Heritage but Heritage has a big buyers commission, not sure about CL and CC but all of them have stuff I want. I looked at the WTB on the forum but noticed that many of the WTB’s did not receive any replies so it didn’t look that productive. I live in the UK but as I collect cents copies I am happy to deal with people in the States. Would it be anymore complicated buying from Canada and shipping to the UK?

The Heritage buyer's commission should not be a big deal to you.  Just bid up to the same amount you would bid on ComicLink or eBay, but about 20% less, so your final price comes out the same.  It would be silly to shy away from Heritage, particularly now when you are lamenting the dearth in venues that are offering the books you want.  Heritage is one of only a few venues that regularly offers a wide variety of quality books from all ages.   

Prices cannot continue at this rate. 

Investors will get bored and look elsewhere, maybe go back to traditional investments once we return to some kind of normality. 

Right now it feels like tulip mania. 

23 minutes ago, nmtg9 said:

Investors will get bored and look elsewhere, maybe go back to traditional investments once we return to some kind of normality. 

I thought that for a bunch of things...ten years ago.I mean,I loathe being priced out of everything,but...not saying it isn't crazy,guano crazy.

PS heya,feels like it's been a while!

17 minutes ago, nmtg9 said:

Though traditional investments are pretty boring.  I think many sports card people got bored of sports cards and are buying comics, and ironically I have been watching more of the sports market during covid.  Since there are more sports cards collectors than comic collectors they could very well be part of the reason they helped drive up these prices.   Also, keep in mind people my age (40, good lord wasnt I just 26 uhhhh) that grew up with these copper age & early modern keys and are making better income now.  Just like people older than me think NM 98 and ASM 300 are common, so did the previous generation with GSX 1, Hulk 181, and DD 1.  Many view those books are way overpriced even before covid.  For me I consider Ultimate Fallout 4 to be same, however these younger collectors love that book, hence the cycle continues.....

10 hours ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

Try a want to buy here,you never know.Some big eyes scan those posts-you wont get a steal but you'll likely get bites.