• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Kevlar568 said:

I also disagree with X-men being “flavour of the day” - I think the franchise dominance of the last 40 years (the legendary and top-selling Cockrum/Claremont/Byrne run/s, X-men #1 (1991) Guinness World Record best selling comic, a blockbuster film featuring the X-men/mutant characters released by Hollywood every 1.6 years since the year 2000, Logan, Deadpool, and Deadpool 2 peaking at #1 and #3 for highest earning R-rated films of ALL TIME, DP2 and Logan both featuring professor X and mutant characters) I could go on... 

Yes, but all of those things were priced in years or even decades before this recent runup. Nothing you mentioned above happened in the last six months and none of it explains why now, all of a sudden, people are rushing to buy an X-Men 1. The X-Men are as popular now as they were in 2019, but prices are 5x what they were. 

Yeah, what he said.  Perhaps using the term "flavor of the day" seemed too condescending, which was not my intent.  I was referring to XM#1 valuation that was largely explained by very, very recent activity as opposed to a much longer historical consistency (valuation-wise) that the other keys had.   That's all.  

Edited by Pantodude

Just now, Gruson said:

It’s the big money coming in from sports cards.  I know a couple personally who were never into comics until a couple of weeks ago. 

That is what we are saying, they are speculating and hooked on only a few books. About the same time X1 took off DD1 jumped a bit and people where saying they are both about to go through the roof. X1 has done that, DD1 has lifted but not nearly like this book, guess the sports card collectors don't like Daredevil as much. 

3 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Hold your horses!   You did not understand what I wrote, and consequently wrote an irrelevant retort.  But I forgive you.  Anyway, unlike the books I listed (AF15, IH1, SC4, FF1, JIM83, etc), which introduced a character or group that remained unchanged in its membership or identity over time, the X-Men is a fluid concept/team whose members change over time.   You love Spidey, you will always be hooked on AF15.   You like Hulk, IH#1 is your book.  You dig Fantastic Four, then FF#1 is your bible.  But the X-Men?   Like I thought I had already explained clearly, it depends on whether you are new school and relate to new members (so GSXM1 and XM94 is your thing) or old school, in which case X-Men #1 is your thing.  This is what X-Men fans have explained consistently over the years.  Don't shoot the messenger (or twist what he says!), please.  :sumo:

Ah I see! I misunderstood your point then. My apologies. You are saying that the hierarchy of the SA Marvel keys is primarily based on the prestige/popularity of the specific character/concept. Am I getting that right? If not please clarify. 

So if you love Spider-Man, AF15 is THE book. If you love Nightcrawler, GSX1 is THE book. if you love the X-Men team? It depends on which team is more important to you. I think I get it. Me personally I love the first team characters, Prof X and Cyclops and Jean and Beast (meh on Angel and Iceman - sorry! Lol) and I love Magneto. But I also place more importance and legacy/prestige on X1 being the FIRST - the first mutants, the first concept of humans vs mutant-kind, the first X-team. Obviously in terms of story/writing and art I would take the new GSX1/uncanny run, but I also love Kirby and his early SA stuff is charming. 

11 minutes ago, Kevlar568 said:

Ah I see! I misunderstood your point then. My apologies. You are saying that the hierarchy of the SA Marvel keys is primarily based on the prestige/popularity of the specific character/concept. Am I getting that right? If not please clarify. 

So if you love Spider-Man, AF15 is THE book. If you love Nightcrawler, GSX1 is THE book. if you love the X-Men team? It depends on which team is more important to you. I think I get it. Me personally I love the first team characters, Prof X and Cyclops and Jean and Beast (meh on Angel and Iceman - sorry! Lol) and I love Magneto. But I also place more importance and legacy/prestige on X1 being the FIRST - the first mutants, the first concept of humans vs mutant-kind, the first X-team. Obviously in terms of story/writing and art I would take the new GSX1/uncanny run, but I also love Kirby and his early SA stuff is charming. 

No problemo.  I think Prof X is underrated, I dig Magneto a lot, and I too am more fond of X-Men#1 than GSXM1 or XM94 (though I really like the new introductions too).   (thumbsu  But there's really no need to pick/choose because all those books are awesome.

Edited by Pantodude

1 hour ago, Pantodude said:

No problemo.  I think Prof X is underrated, I dig Magneto a lot, and I too am more fond of X-Men#1 than GSXM1 or XM94 (though I really like the new introductions too).   (thumbsu  But there's really no need to pick/choose because all those books are awesome.

+1 

So many of these discussions pit one book against another and I feel like I come off like I don't like a book (like X1) because I picked another book over. 

But they are all awesome books.

2 hours ago, Pantodude said:

I think Prof X is underrated

The problem with Professor X is that he (generally, there are of course exceptions) is never a "POV" character -- he is treated as an enigma, always somewhat outside the very group he founded.  At times he has been a borderline adversary to the X-Men -- or at least, someone they can't fully trust to give them the whole truth about things.  He's obviously much more than a pure supporting character (Jarvis to the Avengers or Agatha Harkness to the FF) but he's also not quite firmly among the protagonists.

On 3/24/2021 at 11:56 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

The problem with Professor X is that he (generally, there are of course exceptions) is never a "POV" character -- he is treated as an enigma, always somewhat outside the very group he founded.  At times he has been a borderline adversary to the X-Men -- or at least, someone they can't fully trust to give them the whole truth about things.  He's obviously much more than a pure supporting character (Jarvis to the Avengers or Agatha Harkness to the FF) but he's also not quite firmly among the protagonists.

Cool observation! I guess I'd say that's what has kept him a quite interesting character.

On 3/24/2021 at 11:56 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

He is like an Xmen group home staff or Xmen psychologist, someone who uses information to their advantage as a weapon against people. Definitely can't be trusted! And Definitely not the friend the Xmen need. Apocalypse had tge Xmens best interests at heart

On 3/24/2021 at 9:10 PM, Pantodude said:

Yeah, what he said.  Perhaps using the term "flavor of the day" seemed too condescending, which was not my intent.  I was referring to XM#1 valuation that was largely explained by very, very recent activity as opposed to a much longer historical consistency (valuation-wise) that the other keys had.   That's all.  

I think XM1 is benefiting more than other books from a perfect storm scenario.  We are having a massive collecting run up, which is effecting all the keys.  You have new collectors coming into the market.  You have a key that has been relatively undervalued. The end result is the new buyers are looking to find important and undervalued books that have a lot of room to gain value. XM1 fits that bill, it is the "value" stock that has the potential to explode. It has.

On 3/25/2021 at 1:00 AM, Pantodude said:

Hold your horses!   You did not understand what I wrote, and consequently wrote an irrelevant retort.  But I forgive you.  Anyway, unlike the books I listed (AF15, IH1, SC4, FF1, JIM83, etc), which introduced a character or group that remained unchanged in its membership or identity over time, X-Men#1 introduced the X-Men -- a fluid concept/team whose members change over time.   You love Spidey, you will always be hooked on AF15.   You like Hulk, IH#1 is your book.  You dig Fantastic Four, then FF#1 is your bible.  But the X-Men?   Like I thought I had already explained clearly, it depends on whether you are new school and relate to new members (so GSXM1 and XM94 is your thing) or old school, in which case X-Men #1 is your thing.  This is what X-Men fans have explained consistently over the years.  Don't shoot the messenger (or twist what he says!), please.  :sumo:

I am sure all of the points listed above are applicable for comic book readers that collect comics but not so much for comic collectors that are motivated by the films and don’t actually read the comics. If like me you watch the films then they don’t differentiate between old school and new school as they morph them both together, take X Men  1 the movie it includes Magneto and Prof X, Jean Gray from XMen 1, Wolverine and Storm from GSX1 (Wolverine 3rd Appearance GSX1). XMen First Class includes Magneto, Prof x plus many others mixed with Sebastian Shaw and Emma Frost who do not appear until XMen 129 so there is no old school and new school in the movies, so collectors motivated by the films will want both XMen 1 and GSX1.

12 hours ago, drotto said:

I think XM1 is benefiting more than other books from a perfect storm scenario.  We are having a massive collecting run up, which is effecting all the keys.  You have new collectors coming into the market.  You have a key that has been relatively undervalued. The end result is the new buyers are looking to find important and undervalued books that have a lot of room to gain value. XM1 fits that bill, it is the "value" stock that has the potential to explode. It has.

It also has 8 first appearances which some people may think gives it more value and future growth potential than books with only one like TOS 39.