• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,531 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I think ultra high grade SA books prior to 1966 will retain value, the in-between books could suffer some price correction. Some  SA books immune like FF1.FF5, AAN1, AF 15 SM 1, 2, 7 etc. I think 1965 or to some extent 1964 would be the cut-off year, yes 1968 was a great year....again buy what you can afford in the best grade possible unrestored with excellent page quality. 

What’s AAN1? 

10 hours ago, PKJ said:

Current trajectory, no I do not think it sustains, I also not think it drops to pre 2017 or so prices either. Some of these are the new norm. A lot of this current MCU hype was talked about in 2019 and we did not see the spikes like we are seeing now. I have seen just too many Xmen 1's at shows to believe that if they start coming out in volume they hold up, but I certainly can be wrong. I posted about trying to Buy that Xmen 1 from HA  via buy from owner, he had a buy it now for 8k, I took it, he changed it to 9242 as soon as I submitted the purchase. What I notice now is my 8k offer (which was above market then) is still his highest offer. At some point it will be 9k I assume. Of the bigger keys that is one I do not own, nor never have, always ignored it myself since I grew up with the GSXM 1 as being the key book for us, now that I had planned on grabbing one it is on fire. My focus will be on filling Fantastic Four books I don't have since they are not the flavor of the month.

I kept thinking the same thing about ASM300 this past year.  I find it hard to believe that 9.8’s are going for $4k+.  Seriously, It’s only the most graded book in CGC history and you can find them at LCS all the time. Yet somehow it holds up just like X-men 1 price will continue to hold up. The comic world is a strange beast.  

Does scarcity even matter in comics anymore? There are rare GA comics (western, cartoon...) that haven’t budged in value in 20 years and moderns that are everywhere seeing exponential growth. Pop culture relevance plays a much bigger role, and X-men have been pop culture relevant pretty much since Spider-Man and his amazing friends from the 80s.
Of course a Disney produced FF movie could change everything...

18 minutes ago, dikran1 said:

Does scarcity even matter in comics anymore? There are rare GA comics (western, cartoon...) that haven’t budged in value in 20 years and moderns that are everywhere seeing exponential growth. Pop culture relevance plays a much bigger role, and X-men have been pop culture relevant pretty much since Spider-Man and his amazing friends from the 80s.

It's all relative I suppose. The market is driven by supply and demand. There is great demand for Action comics 1, but minimum supply, which is why it will cost 6 to 7 figures. 

While there is a ton of demand for ASM300, there is also a ton of supply. I feel like there is a limited enough supply in SA to sustain a market correction. But I'm not sure ASM300 can maintain these prices.  

Maybe I'm wrong, but I sold my only copy this year and put it towards a SA key

6 hours ago, dikran1 said:

Scarcity matters, but there is dwindling demand for GA comics like the 8-track collector.  

10 minutes ago, october said:

You are looking at the wrong golden age comics. 

💯 agree.  But myself being 40+ years old and like the majority of collectors out there right now, golden age isn’t really relevant to us.  There’s a webpage that tracks most watched CGC books on eBay, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a GA book there.  

But yes, absolutely there’s plenty of GA books out there you can make a killing one, but it’s becoming the way of the standard transmission.  And don’t get me wrong, my first car was a 4 speed. 

37 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

💯 agree.  But myself being 40+ years old and like the majority of collectors out there right now, golden age isn’t really relevant to us.  There’s a webpage that tracks most watched CGC books on eBay, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a GA book there.  

But yes, absolutely there’s plenty of GA books out there you can make a killing one, but it’s becoming the way of the standard transmission.  And don’t get me wrong, my first car was a 4 speed. 

I'll respectfully disagree. I do agree that most collectors are probably silver/bronze and modern collectors but that does not necessarily equate into golden age books being irrelevant. I'm in the age group that you mentioned and I have moved away from silver and bronze for the most part and many of my friends have as well.

2 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Scarcity matters, but there is dwindling demand for GA comics like the 8-track collector.  

I half-agree with this statement.  Without having examined the data, just going by anecdotal observation I do think there's reason to believe that interest is declining in GA books that don't feature characters still well-known in the pop culture of today.  But interest is going to remain strong in GA books with lasting cultural relevance (Superman, Batman, etc.) as well as a handful of other key books that are collected primarily for their classic covers.

I’m an avid GA Disney Duck collector but they are still relevant as long time pop culture icons but Andy Panda or other random funny animals, I could give 2 poops about... So again, cultural relevance is still the driving force, if they hadn’t revived Ducktales a couple years back nobody would care about Scrooge et al. or Carl Barks today. You probably need a combo of scarce and relevance that transcends generations to really hit that grand slam. 

2 hours ago, Funnybooks said:
2 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

I'll respectfully disagree. I do agree that most collectors are probably silver/bronze and modern collectors but that does not necessarily equate into golden age books being irrelevant. I'm in the age group that you mentioned and I have moved away from silver and bronze for the most part and many of my friends have as well.

I used to be strictly GA.  10 years or so ago, I won best golden age set in the registry.   These days GA is too expensive for me.  To replace the books I once had would cost me 3 times as much money.  Now, I collect SA and a few BA key books.  

Appreciate the great conversation. But just for clarification, I never said that GA was irrelevant.  I said it’s less relevant.  I mean I’ve got a few GA issues myself, but it just seems most of the action is at silver age.  

Like when I go to a card show, Michael Jordan rookie cards are hotter than fire.  Rarely do I see people talking about Wilt Chamberlin or Karen Abdul Jabbar.  But I’m sure no one would object to finding a great deal on one of their rookie cards.  

1 hour ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Appreciate the great conversation. But just for clarification, I never said that GA was irrelevant.  I said it’s less relevant.  I mean I’ve got a few GA issues myself, but it just seems most of the action is at silver age.  

Like when I go to a card show, Michael Jordan rookie cards are hotter than fire.  Rarely do I see people talking about Wilt Chamberlin or Karen Abdul Jabbar.  But I’m sure no one would object to finding a great deal on one of their rookie cards.  

I hear you, but there are some important distinctions to be drawn in this analogy.

With comics, the thing you're collecting is literally the subject of interest.  Slabbing aside, you can buy a comic and access its contents.  You are holding in your hand the very same cultural artifact that first came into being in 1975, or 1961, or 1938.

With sports cards, the thing you're collecting is a reflection of the subject of interest. (Autographs and game-used memorabilia are much closer to the subject, but still not the subject himself.)  You are extremely unlikely to get to meet Michael Jordan, and you're never going to be able to meet Wilt Chamberlain any more.  The further back in time you go, the less access you have to the player -- not only in the flesh, but even to the player's accomplishments because so little footage is still available today.  The players of the past are still celebrated, but they are not literally brought to life again for new generations the way old comics characters appear in monthly comics and frequent feature films.  At least musicians who are old or gone (in addition to generally leaving behind a complete catalog of their work) can see renewed interest from current-day artists who put out covers, tributes, and even the occasional collaboration.  But the forces pushing athletes and other celebrities out of our collective memory are much stronger than those working against the most popular comics characters.

I have a cousin who is big into basketball cards and I've spoken with him often about the way that market has exploded in the past year.  Current players can see daily fluctuations in their card values based on what they did in last night's game -- it's crazy.  Retired players are seeing much less growth and volatility, but you're right that Jordan cards are currently insane.  The "Last Dance" documentary, which came at a time when sports fans literally had no new content of any kind to watch, seemed to be a major impetus, and I also think that fans use the card market as a way of casting their vote in the GOAT debate regarding LeBron vs. Jordan (which still favors Jordan heavily).

Also, even though he carefully picks his moments in the public eye, Jordan is probably the most self-promoting, legacy-obsessed retired athlete in any sport.  He hasn't really left us.  We're not talking about GA comics from 75+ years ago, we're talking about a guy who is still alive, and relatively young, and directly involved in the NBA as an owner, and putting out propaganda promoting his legacy (not that there's anything wrong with that).

If you're a retired player not named Jordan, as morbid as this sounds the #1 thing that will spike your card values, sadly, is your death.  That certainly happened with Kobe Bryant, and I imagine that just as there were people hoarding Stan Lee signatures as he got older and older, there's probably a "deadpool" of speculation in the card market around all the real old-timers.  :(

On 1/29/2021 at 7:23 PM, PKJ said:

Biased...Obviously since you used a F4 villain to compare Magneto.....  But if F4 is behind X-Men their villains should not count either, I am kidding as I feel like this has been argued through the halls of every con there has been. 

I agree X-Men are due, I only mention supply based on how many shows I have been to that had multiple X1 available on day one and last day of a show versus 1 or 2 dealers with FF1. That and I guess I now hate it will cost 10K for a nice X1 that was 5K last year.

Hahahaha ....... my point was more Doom and Magneto are fairly equal in terms of popularity. The X-Men are far more popular than FF and in X-Men 1 you also get Magneto who is at least the #2 villain in the Marvel Universe.

The only thing holding down pricing on X-Men 1 is its relative abundance but I would think demand far outweighs supply especially when they enter the MCU.  So no reason it can’t be up there dollar wise with The big boys AF15, IH1 and FF1 - especially if you consider the X-Men are likely more popular than 2 of those 3.