• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

On 5/28/2021 at 11:33 AM, CHWL said:

The restored 0.5 sold for $8200 on best offer. I also noticed the other 0.5 copy selling for just under $6000 the other day. Makes me want to put this one up for sale...

xm.jpg

That is a beautiful .5!  I have one at the same grade, but yours looks much nicer.

On 5/28/2021 at 11:33 PM, CHWL said:

The restored 0.5 sold for $8200 on best offer. I also noticed the other 0.5 copy selling for just under $6000 the other day. Makes me want to put this one up for sale...

xm.jpg

That looks much better than my copy which I hoped would be a 1.8 (and scored like that by many in the PGM thread). What did CGC see that they graded it only as 0.5?

1 hour ago, Albert Thurgood said:

That looks much better than my copy which I hoped would be a 1.8 (and scored like that by many in the PGM thread). What did CGC see that they graded it only as 0.5?

The 12th page is missing, so it's an automatic .5 

Like my pretty AF15 with no back cover. 

2 hours ago, woowoo said:

I got this one think i paid 900 or 1900 years ago just cause i never had a X-men 1 uk Whats it worth ? Some say more some say less (shrug)

X-men-1-6.0 UK.jpg

Wow.  That is a rare beauty.  Not only a scarce variant, but also uncommonly bright colors and clean, bright cover. :cloud9:  Thanks for sharing.  

Edited by Pantodude

12 hours ago, woowoo said:

I got this one think i paid 900 or 1900 years ago just cause i never had a X-men 1 uk Whats it worth ? Some say more some say less (shrug)

X-men-1-6.0 UK.jpg

Sweet book and a UK price variant to boot - :cloud9:

13 hours ago, woowoo said:

Some say more some say less

I overlooked that you asked for valuation.  Common sense suggests a UK price variant is more valuable than its regular cents version in same grade, but who says life always makes sense?  UKPVs are the same animal as Canadian PVs, just much older (and a bit more scarce).  UK price variants were often only 1-2% of initial print run, while CanPVs were generally 2%, if I recall recorrectly.  Anyway, prices for Can PVs, which issued from like 1983 through 1988, are worth more (often 3-5 times more!) than the regular cent (direct and newsstand) versions due to their well-known scarcity.  GPA, etc. will easily confirm that.  UKPVs also apply throughout the Silver Age, so they issued along with SA megakeys like your XM1!  Sanity suggests at least the same premium fetched by CanPVs, and actually more.  Nowadays, while most sellers seek premiums for UKPVs of 50% or more, pricing is not consistent or to same extent as Canadian PVs, and auction results vary a lot too.  Even in the recent past, you still see lucky bums snagging UKPVs at the same FMV or even below the FMV of the regular cents version.  But the trend is up for UKPV premium.  Time has a way of correcting imbalances, so we'll see.  

As for your XM1 UKPV, CGS says there are only 65 slabbed universal books in all grades combined compared to 3,783 slabbed universal cents version!  I know which one I'd feel more lucky or proud to have on my shelf.  Again, congrats on this find and on being one of those lucky bums!   (thumbsu

Edited by Pantodude

11 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

I overlooked that you asked for valuation.  Common sense suggests a UK price variant is more valuable than its regular cents version in same grade, but who says life always makes sense?  UKPVs are the same animal as Canadian PVs, just much older (and a bit more scarce).  UK price variants were often only 1-2% of initial print run, while CanPVs were generally 2%, if I recall recorrectly.  Anyway, prices for Can PVs, which issued from like 1983 through 1988, are worth more (often 3-5 times more!) than the regular cent (direct and newsstand) versions due to their well-known scarcity.  GPA, etc. will easily confirm that.  UKPVs also apply throughout the Silver Age, so they issued along with SA megakeys like your XM1!  Sanity suggests at least the same premium fetched by CanPVs, and actually more.  Nowadays, while most sellers seek premiums for UKPVs of 50% or more, pricing is not consistent or to same extent as Canadian PVs, and auction results vary a lot too.  Even in the recent past, you still see lucky bums snagging UKPVs at the same FMV or even below the FMV of the regular cents version.  But the trend is up for UKPV premium.  Time has a way of correcting imbalances, so we'll see.  

As for your XM1 UKPV, there are only 65 slabbed universal in all grades combined compared to 3,783 slabbed universal cents version!  I know which one I'd feel more lucky or proud to have on my shelf.  Again, congrats on this find and on being one of those lucky bums!   (thumbsu

I got guess i am one of those lucky bums! 3 times :banana:

Fantastic Four-1-UK-pic2.JPG

Hulk 3.jpg

16 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

As for your XM1 UKPV, CGS says there are only 65 slabbed universal books in all grades combined compared to 3,783 slabbed universal cents version!  I know which one I'd feel more lucky or proud to have on my shelf.  Again, congrats on this find and on being one of those lucky bums!   (thumbsu

Just a couple years ago I actually cancelled an eBay order when I noticed that it was a UKPV.  I can't remember which book it was exactly, but it was definitely a mega key like FF1 or similar.  Back then, the PVs would sell for less than regular version and the seller was trying to "sneak" the UKPV as a regular book.  Hindsight is 20/20 and I guess I should have bought that book lol.   

1 hour ago, cbalroman said:

I'm happy to have a UKPV as well. :cloud9:  Always felt I got a deal over a US version with the only difference being the price variant and no month on cover.  

IMG_0299.jpg

Seeing these always reminds me of when a Golden Age collector posts pix of their sub-100 census goodies.  Great specimen here.  Between you and woowoo, you have 2.5% of the ENTIRE census population of universal/SS X-Men#1 UKPV slabs.  That is saying something!  

Edited by Pantodude

Go to the Marvel UK price variant thread.  I'm not going to repeat all that here, but that thread needs updating.  That thread has sales data showing that UKPVs have fetched more, albeit inconsistently, but still often don't fetch more (sometimes even less) due to habit/ignorance.  But that nonsense irrationality will yield in time ala Canadian PVs, Australian PVs, 35-cent price variants, and even newsstands (which used to be considered "uglier" than the direct editions and avoided -- ask anyone collecing in the nineties -- but then relative scarcity prevailed and now they fetch premiums, particularly for late 1980s/early 1990s).  It's just a matter of time (already happening as chronicled in the UK price variant thread) for UKPVs to get their due.   Try to find a UKPV for a key that isn't going for a premium on eBay.  It's just [un]common cents.  (thumbsu 

Anyway, there aren't enough sales of UKPVs in general, let alone recently.  And unfortunately, this year's new wave of buyers might not understand UKPVs.  Any trend up we've seen last year and early this year might have taken a step back temporarily.  But as always, time will tell. 

In the meantime, owners of UKPVs (any of the price variants, really) should appreciate what they have without regard to whether the market has caught up to their scarcity.  It's easy to find a SA key in mid grade (i said find, not afford!) for any given issue.  By contrast, there are only a handful of mid-grade UKPVs for early SA keys for sale at all of the major venues (eBay, Heritage, Comic-Ling, ComicConnect, mycomicshop, pedigree, etc) combined!  There are quite literally NO high grades (e.g., 9.0 and above, but even 8.0 and above for many issues!) of UKPVs for early SA keys.  And if you seek a mid-grade UKPV for a specific issue like X-Men1, FF1, IH1, or TTA27, etc, good luck.  It could be months/years waiting for the right opportunity.  Is there another XM1 of FF1 universal mid-grade UKPV for sale anywere today?  Or an IH1?  How about an ASM50?  Or a FF2?  Or JIM83?  Or a ASM1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 13, 14, 15, etc.?  You might never be able to buy one, let alone see one, in ANY grade if you are hunting a specific issue.  That is just crazy uncommon for a Silver Age book.  

Edited by Pantodude