• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

If I had to guess, I'd say that whoever bought that book did so expecting at least a 90 at that price point.

I'd be more worried about missing a defect in the grading process or missing restoration / trimming.

All grading companies miss things including CGC but for a long time I had heard that PGX had only one grader grading everything. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

If I had to guess, I'd say that whoever bought that book did so expecting at least a 90 at that price point.

I'd be more worried about missing a defect in the grading process or missing restoration / trimming.

All grading companies miss things including CGC but for a long time I had heard that PGX had only one grader grading everything. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Agreed I think the buyer will be disappointed I don't see a 9.0....more like a CGC 8.0 to CGC 8.5.

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

When i went to them in 2007 they had 2 graders and a 1 Resto guy (shrug) It took me 12 hours to drive there and back just so I could have a 3rd party grading my books.  I listed my Tec 27  on ebay as VG/f and it got 17k on a 25k reserve. I really wanted to buy a house since prices where cheap back then. I never did relist them since the house I wanted sold :bigsmile: 

Edited by woowoo

On 4/10/2017 at 9:03 AM, BIZZARRO said:

Count me in

xmen1_thumb_jpg_6a3e2ea614da6d57d84bd7f7fedd3348.jpg

I just found out the grade given by Cgc online. I also found out it had some restoration done. How much does it affect the value in determining what it's worth.

here are the graders notes

Color touch (Archival material, high quality up to 1"" x 1"") Cover A-2
Cover cleaning (High quality) A-1
Piece fill cover (Archival material, high quality up to 1/2"" x 1/2"") Spine A-2
light, multiple crease right bottom of front cover
small, multiple stain right top of back cover
very small chip out right top of front cover

6 hours ago, BIZZARRO said:

I just found out the grade given by Cgc online. I also found out it had some restoration done. How much does it affect the value in determining what it's worth.

here are the graders notes

Color touch (Archival material, high quality up to 1"" x 1"") Cover A-2
Cover cleaning (High quality) A-1
Piece fill cover (Archival material, high quality up to 1/2"" x 1/2"") Spine A-2
light, multiple crease right bottom of front cover
small, multiple stain right top of back cover
very small chip out right top of front cover

Beautiful copy that's been professionally restored.  Please tell me the resto was disclosed to you before you bought it?

I'm going to guess 8.0? It probably values around $3500.  If it was unrestored it would value at $12k-$13k

The listing said no restoration so I paid 13,500.00, I was just informed the grade at 7.5 and had restoration, I opened a case with eBay but they want me to try to work with seller. I reached out and he said his listing said no refunds. I can't find a number to call eBay. All it says is they can assist after 3 business days if we can't agree...I say we can't agree now?

19 minutes ago, BIZZARRO said:

The listing said no restoration so I paid 13,500.00, I was just informed the grade at 7.5 and had restoration, I opened a case with eBay but they want me to try to work with seller. I reached out and he said his listing said no refunds. I can't find a number to call eBay. All it says is they can assist after 3 business days if we can't agree...I say we can't agree now?

I am SO sorry!!!  Did you ask about restoration before you bought it?

Holy moly what a mess and so sorry about what happened!?  Pictures are small and difficult to tell whether the book had restoration.  With resto and even with cleaning you can feel and see the difference between that and an unrestored copy.  It was a huge huge risk to buy a raw high dollar book like this.  I see this happening all the time on ebay with buyers being sucked into this vacuum thinking that the book is all original/untouched. I hope you get your money back pronto and definitely negative the seller.  Very poor form on their part and to be listing the book as unrestored.  They knew what they had to begin with.

I've learned my lesson when it comes to books like this especially higher graded keys.  It's either you don't buy/bid on raw copies or if you do happen to buy it, get it checked out asap by a professional like CCS for any restoration, trimming, staple replacement, etc.  Also begs to reason for why not have this book or any other valuable book be professionally graded (my a reputable company btw)?  It only helps the buyer to have peace of mind and the seller realize maximum profit.