• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, BIZZARRO said:

Got an update from eBay, they have to close the case. They say there window to help is limited to 30 days, I initiated the claim on the 32nd day. I explained that I sent it to Cgc for verification but the said they. Ant help and I need to file a claim through PayPal.... should I go this route or just go to my credit card company. I feel as if eBay just wasted my time....

I thought ebay's claim window was more than 30 days.  It should be.  This is pretty tragic.  Good luck with Paypal.  This seller sucks.

30 minutes ago, BIZZARRO said:

Thanks, no news from PayPal yet, it says they are reviewing and will contact me if anything is needed

Good luck, although luck should not be needed since you have the advantage of being right, and the disadvantage of having been wronged. It should work out but please keep us posted.

I will post as soon as I'm contacted. I'm assuming they will need me to upload the cgc grade and graders notes, invoice ( even though I won't be paid for the encapsulation, grading and pressing.) And his listing from eBay. Just a bummer when I thought I picked up another key book for my collection and instead was taken for a ride

19 hours ago, BIZZARRO said:

I will post as soon as I'm contacted. I'm assuming they will need me to upload the cgc grade and graders notes, invoice ( even though I won't be paid for the encapsulation, grading and pressing.) And his listing from eBay. Just a bummer when I thought I picked up another key book for my collection and instead was taken for a ride

I feel for you man. If I went after a grail and this happened I'd be besides myself. GL:wishluck:

Karma, Karma, Karma, he'll get his!

Just picked up the 9.0 on ComicLink for what I think was a good price. I had a killer price until someone bid me all the way up to my walk away (but no higher). Makes me wonder if it was someone making sure I paid every cent I was willing....

But I'm still happy with it. Will post a picture when it arrives.

It's my first comic book purchase since the 1990s. My plan is to put it on the wall as art. Do folks have suggestions for the best way to do that?

I found these two resources using Google:

http://www.thecollectorsresource.com/

http://www.gweedoscomics.com/cgc-graded-frames/

Any reason to choose one over the other?

(I may cross-post this somewhere on the boards that talks about displaying)

Thanks,

8 minutes ago, AnonymousAF15 said:

Just picked up the 9.0 on ComicLink for what I think was a good price. I had a killer price until someone bid me all the way up to my walk away (but no higher). Makes me wonder if it was someone making sure I paid every cent I was willing....

But I'm still happy with it. Will post a picture when it arrives.

It's my first comic book purchase since the 1990s. My plan is to put it on the wall as art. Do folks have suggestions for the best way to do that?

I found these two resources using Google:

http://www.thecollectorsresource.com/

http://www.gweedoscomics.com/cgc-graded-frames/

Any reason to choose one over the other?

(I may cross-post this somewhere on the boards that talks about displaying)

Thanks,

Big congrats on the pick-up! :golfclap:

Yes, you might want to also ask over in the General forum; there's a thread about showcasing comic rooms.  You might find some helpful tips over there. Please do post a pic of it when it's mounted!

1 hour ago, CashMoney said:

I have wondered what goes on behind the scenes at ComicLink.  On eBay, when one enters a highest bid, such person often walks away with the subject item without ever hitting such bid - I know this from personal experience.  ComicLink makes the same claim on its website.  Both companies run their own respective bidding algorithms behind the scenes.  However, the salient difference is that ComicLink isn't publicly traded and has no accountability.  If eBay were to drive up each bidder's bid up to the highest amount despite claiming otherwise, then such behavior would not only constitute fraud, but would open eBay up to unlimited liability (in many jurisdictions, liability for fraud cannot be contractually capped, despite what an end-user license agreement provides) and perhaps criminal prosecution (e.g., see Volkswagen emission-rigging scandal).  That is why eBay doesn't engage in such behavior.     

So the million $ question is, has anyone here walked away with an item on ComicLink without paying his/her maximum bid?                   

Interesting you ask.

I actually bid on two comics yesterday. For X-men #1 I paid my bid (which was $39560 or something when the previous bid earlier in the day was $18K or something).

For the other - Tales of Suspense 57 - I paid $45 less than my bid. But in that case if someone wanted me to pay my full bid they would have had to outbid me. So in both cases I was bid as high as I could have gone without being outbid....

3 hours ago, CashMoney said:

I have wondered what goes on behind the scenes at ComicLink.  On eBay, when one enters a highest bid, such person often walks away with the subject item without ever hitting such bid - I know this from personal experience.  ComicLink makes the same claim on its website.  Both companies run their own respective bidding algorithms behind the scenes.  However, the salient difference is that ComicLink isn't publicly traded and has no accountability.  If eBay were to drive up each bidder's bid up to the highest amount despite claiming otherwise, then such behavior would not only constitute fraud, but would open eBay up to unlimited liability (in many jurisdictions, liability for fraud cannot be contractually capped, despite what an end-user license agreement provides) and perhaps criminal prosecution (e.g., see Volkswagen emission-rigging scandal).  That is why eBay doesn't engage in such behavior.     

So the million $ question is, has anyone here walked away with an item on ComicLink without paying his/her maximum bid?                   

If you're implying that Comiclink as an auction house shill bids behind the scenes, I'd highly doubt it.

But even a straight laced auction house can't stop someone from asking a friend to throw in a bid on a book.

For the record, I disapprove of that practice and do not ever participate in it.

3 hours ago, CashMoney said:

With respect to your second comment," they would have had to outbid", what do you mean?  That the increments of the auction required bids in excess of $45 each?  

Exactly. I think the min increase was $250

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

If you're implying that Comiclink as an auction house shill bids behind the scenes, I'd highly doubt it.

But even a straight laced auction house can't stop someone from asking a friend to throw in a bid on a book.

For the record, I disapprove of that practice and do not ever participate in it.

I think you are right.

But if I were selling a book and I wanted max dollars, and it was on the last day and the best offer was well below market value, and I wasn't particularly ethical, what would I do?

Maybe something like this:

1- Bid over the current bid

2- If it doesn't automatically adjust, then stop and wait for someone to outbid you

3- If it automatically adjusts, look what it adjusts to. If it adjusts to the next level up "min bid" then over bid again If it adjusts to a different number, then realize they have hit their "cap" and stop

It's enough that I will never bid my clearing price again on their system....

16 minutes ago, AnonymousAF15 said:

I think you are right.

But if I were selling a book and I wanted max dollars, and it was on the last day and the best offer was well below market value, and I wasn't particularly ethical, what would I do?

Maybe something like this:

1- Bid over the current bid

2- If it doesn't automatically adjust, then stop and wait for someone to outbid you

3- If it automatically adjusts, look what it adjusts to. If it adjusts to the next level up "min bid" then over bid again If it adjusts to a different number, then realize they have hit their "cap" and stop

It's enough that I will never bid my clearing price again on their system....

Shill bidding is a part of auctions, like it or hate it.

Sometimes when things are out of the ordinary some people might scrutinize them and try to figure out why - like your appearance. It was timed very interestingly. :wink:

And sometimes a duck is just a duck.

Not all, but most serious bidders don't bid until the closing seconds for that reason.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Shill bidding is a part of auctions, like it or hate it.

Sometimes when things are out of the ordinary some people might scrutinize them and try to figure out why - like your appearance. It was timed very interestingly. :wink:

And sometimes a duck is just a duck.

Not all, but most serious bidders don't bid until the closing seconds for that reason.

"Like your appearance. It was timed very interestingly."

I'm sure I'm missing something with that comment? Is it because I started posting just after AF15 exploded in value? Or is there something else I'm missing?

(and I'm not that out of the ordinary, am I?)

34 minutes ago, AnonymousAF15 said:

"Like your appearance. It was timed very interestingly."

I'm sure I'm missing something with that comment? Is it because I started posting just after AF15 exploded in value? Or is there something else I'm missing?

(and I'm not that out of the ordinary, am I?)

The discussion about shill bidding at auction houses has been raised here many times over the last decade and a half.

You have to understand that this place has a history of people dropping in during opportune times with an agenda and then posting something and not hanging around long. You came into the AF #15 thread with your first post, you're named after the book and talked about buying a copy.

An old timer might see that as a potential 'shill' that joined simply to pump the book.

I'm not saying you are actually doing that. I'm just saying that like auction shill bidding theories, there could be more to the story than shills ( :foryou: ) or shill bidding.