• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Wheels Are In Motion
10 10

310 posts in this topic

Guys, Guys, Guys:

Let me clear the record ONCE AND FOR ALL on this subject as I am the person who both knows Joe Conzolo personally (and consider him a friend), initially contacted Ian Levine AND with DAM60's helped to contact Metropolis.

Let's set the record straight:

Joe Conzolo is a personal friend of mine and an established dealer with a comic store in NJ. Joe is a stand up guy but his knowledge of the golden age market isn't that expansive. I first learned of the book a few months ago, had seen the book raw, and told Joe just how rare the item was. I advised that this book, while low grade should be brought to Steve Borock and the boys at CGC for the following reasons: 1) the book needed to be added to the census, 2) the book should be checked for resto (although I doubted it) and 3) the book should be checked to make sure it was the real deal.

The book was to be brought to the National in NYC in November, and I PM'd Ian Levine as he was the only person that I knew would be interested in the sale. Ian was, of course, very intersted, and I informed Joe. At the National, there was siginifcant interest in the book from SEVERAL major dealers, but Joe wanted to wait for the book to get back from CGC.

It was at that time in Dec. that both DAM and I discussed the fact that Vincent from Metro should be brought into the mix as a possiblity to sell the book because he has some of the largest available funds to obtain this significant book. Although Ian had been contacted, I felt that a) his initial offer was low and b) since there was siginifcant interest in the book, it would be foolish not to at least shop the book and see what kind of offers could be made.

I got Vincent in touch with Joe and stepped away from the process.

Now for all of those conspiracy theorists who believe this was Vincent's idea of trying to pursue the book just to mess with Ian... YOU ARE ALL DEAD WRONG. I was the one who contacted Vincent and it was Joe, not Vinnie, who initially pursued this deal. Vinnie and Joe have since developed an outside business relationship, and I can tell you unequivocally that Joe did the deal for the reason he stated in his email to Ian: because Vincent offered the better opportunity for future business.

I do not say any of these things because I am friends with Vincent (in fact, we've only met once or twice, and we barely know each other), the only thing I can say is that he has been completely honest and standup throughout this whole process. Joe as well. All the cards have been on the table. That's where it stands right now. Ian was never promised the book. Joe did what any person would do... he got the best deal. Vincent never tried to get the book from Joe or approach anyone... Vincent was approached because Metropolis is Metropolis. It was the best deal for Joe to make and it was made.

Hi Foolkiller,

Thanks for that additional insight. I believe your version 100%, and I think very highly of you and Dam60....although I'm not sure how much it changes my opinion of the two main protagonists. I do think that knowing what has been going on, bringing both Ian and Vincent into the same deal at the same time might not have been adviseable. Of course your friend has the right to make as much profit as he can on the deal. But it still bothers me. I think I would have left it be, after letting Ian in on the book. But that's only my opinion.

Again, at the risk of beating it to death, Vincent's statement will follow him for quite a while, and continue to raise suspicions regarding his motiviations. I mean, he said it. And I really believe he meant it. I think he should be more concerned with the fallout from that, and make an effort to rehabilitate Metropolis' tarnished rep.

Anyway, after all this, I think I'm gonna' go back and start working on a run of Little Audreys! confused-smiley-013.gif

Again, at the risk of beating it to death, Vincent's statement will follow him for quite a while, and continue to raise suspicions regarding his motiviations. I mean, he said it. And I really believe he meant it. I think he should be more concerned with the fallout from that, and make an effort to rehabilitate Metropolis' tarnished rep.

Maybe Vincent can have Ian as a guest on his Comic Zone radio show and let the sparks fly. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Maybe Vincent can have Ian as a guest on his Comic Zone radio show and let the sparks fly. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Genius! Pure genius! devil.gif

I do think that knowing what has been going on, bringing both Ian and Vincent into the same deal at the same time might not have been adviseable. Of course your friend has the right to make as much profit as he can on the deal. But it still bothers me. I think I would have left it be, after letting Ian in on the book.

I disagree. Ian and Vincent have dug their own holes and nobody else is obligated ta pull either of them out. If Ians offer was low, then Foolkiller felt he owed it to his friend ta bring in another player with enough funds to aquire it.

Argh

Vincent: What would the price on the Double Action 2 be? Would you sell it to Ian if he would pay you your price?

Ian: Would you buy it from Vincent?

If the answer is YES to these questions, just sell it to him and the both of you please calm down.

Just a question, Was Ian given the opportunity to make a better offer before you got Metropolis involved. It seems to me that if I was Ian I would have sharpened my pencil a little more and upped my offer rather than miss out on a bonafide opportunity to acquire arguably the toughest book in his quest

That's my thought as well. Other than Detective 27, this is the most valuable book Ian has left, and the one most likely to draw significant outside interest. I'd have hit the owner with a preemptive offer large enough to make his head spin, thus avoiding the owner's temptation to shop the book around and let the BSD's know of its availability.

If Ian came in with an offer somewhat below market price, combined with a empassioned plea that the owner should accept this bid due to the nobility of the Quest, well, that's not going to cut it. Break out the bucks and don't play around with sympathies.

Why am I not surprised that this thread is the hot opic of conversation, I said it the very first time this came up with the More Funs and I will say it again........ When a book in the vein on a Double Action #2 comes up, you will usually have 3 or more protagonists involved all operating form 3 different perspectives, lets rehash the classic 3 using the examples found here.

1. THE SELLER - who I'm sorry, is trying to do one thing and one thing only, maximize thier profit potential. As we have seen this can mean more that $$, it can mean a nod and a wink from BSD Metro that the "Wheels are in Motion" and they have been granted access to the forbidden city that is Metropolis favouritism buyer status - for whatever thats worth 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

2. THE COLLECTOR - who is simply trying to get the book for the best price and thereby maximize the utility of their purchase vis a vie $$$ to product obtained. Who knows - in this case it would seem that Ian under bid, hard to know without knowing what it sold for - a detail that Metro will fight to their very last breath to NOT come out as it pins them into a segment for resale. What is for certain is that Ian's offer did NOT garner a sale, as he was threre early - maybe more $$$ would have, MAYBE THE SELLER WOULD HAVE SHOPPED IT REGARDLESS. Only the seller knows for sure.

3. THE DEALER - is after one thing and one thing only - PROFIT MARGIN in an ideal world there would be a mix between making money and passing on some profit attained to your customers with good deals, IE not squeezing every last cent out of them. But anyone who circulated areound the top of any industry, I can only speak of the political areana knows that a large % of those at the top play by ZERO SUM GAME RULES they don't win unless someone else loses

I think Redhook's analysis is correct, Vince and the Metro gang know that this book was leveragble against alot of ppl including Ian. Maybe Ian should have seen this coming and bid more, now he most assuredly will PAY MORE, cause Metro will get their JUICE and, or cut and hey that just the way it is. This is how BSD become BSD, by getting to quote "Guy Ritchie" Their dirty little fingers in as many pieces of the pie as possible. Lets not hang Metro out on this one they are not alone - when books like a Double Action 2 come out, ethics are out the window, its kill your friend screw your family and destroy everthing that is in the way of your goal.

Oh and the wheels are already in motion - read Vince's post, ' I sat down over dinner with my wife and pondered a price and who to sell it to 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif control and power ladies and gentlemen, thats what its all about any business as successful as Metro knows this. They are already setting the wheels in motion to bleed every last cent out of this one...... makepoint.gif It sickens me, but hey Carpe Diem.

The answer to the question of Ian making a better offer is of course Yes.

Keep in mind I am not brokering this deal. I am NOT receiving any money from Joe and did not ask for any kind of finder's fee from Vincent. I'm getting absolutely Zero dollars, nor did I ask or want anything in connection with this deal.

Ian contacted me via PM and asked for me to intervene on behalf of him to get Joe to sell the book to him. I told him I didn't have that kind of control and it was out of my hands. That's the truth. I told him he'd have to up his offer.

Ian made an initial offer on the book before it was slabbed. This was NOT a question of money, it was a question of forging a business relationship between Joe and Vincent. I had advised Joe that if it were me, I'd deal with Vincent only because of that potential and the fact that Vincent has an excellent rep as does Metro in general.

I said the only way that I saw Joe considering an offer again from Ian was to make a significant financial offer that was on the high end.

If anyone thinks Vinnie out of spite... let me tell all of you that's patently untrue and incorrect. Ian made a flat offer to Joe. At the time, it was not high enough to sell right then and there. And I think in earlier post, Ian has stated it was $5k. $5k was too low for the book at the time.

BUT I don't know specific numbers as I wasn't that involved with the deal. That's something for others to work out.

I'll tell all of you again, Joe, in my opinion, had the right to get the best financial offer. My only interest here was to get Joe the best offer all things considered for him to consider all the options. I presented those options to him with the help of DAM and it was laid out. Joe made the call... it was his book.

Edited by Foolkiller

Redhook,

I appreciate your opinion... in fact, in retrospect, perhaps I should have only let Ian in on the deal once he was the first contacted. But, Joe was trying to get opinions on the book before I contacted Metro, and additionally, was trying to get a feel from other dealers just to know what the book was worth. I had nothing to do with that. Additionally, I thought of Metro based primarily on rep alone. Joe would have moved the book to Ted at Superworld or other dealers, but there wasn't necessarily the client base there to move the book. It was then that Metro was brought in... basically because I felt the book was being shopped already...

For all the headaches and accusations this has sent flying, for no money, I wish I just stayed out of it. I only wanted Joe's interests protected, and now I've just got a messy headache.

Overstreet says:

"Two copies exist in fair & fine condition, proving at least limited newsstand distribution"

I am assuming we are talking about the fair copy here? Which Overstreet has at listed at GD 2.0 of $1,445. (I know OS doesn't count on a book like this, but I put it in as a reference)

I wonder, If it were not for Ian how much interest would there really be in this particular copy. I think Ian's quest alone is driving up the price for this book. Even though Metropolis has another buyer interested, either party will pay substantially more because of Ian's need to have this book. The collector in me really feels for Ian.

50 years from now, who's gonna care?

Logan son of Darth and Colin son of Minutekev?

Logan: "I remember my dad's tale of Ian and his quest for every DC comic imaginable."

Colin: "Me to! Did Ian ever complete his quest?"

Logan: " 893scratchchin-thumb.gif"

Colin: " 893scratchchin-thumb.gif"

Logan: "Say, why are we the only two people posting in these forums?"

Foolkiller,

I believe you, and I apologize if I came across as critical of your involvement. You obviously had the best of intentions. thumbsup2.gif

If I might add one more bit of advice for Ian, in retropsect, it would be, "Strike when the iron is hot.!"