• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 181 price over the years?

39 posts in this topic

I remember in 1999 telling Bob Storms and Ted Van Liew that when CGC opens Hulk 181 will sell for $1000.

They laughed at me and then Bob had a record sale of one just after CGC opened. Forgot the price, but he was quite happy!

Believe it or not even though it`s a mega popular book, you would have broken even for most grades since 2004 according to the GPA Analysis, example if you spent $1400 for a 9.0 in 2004, your probally could come close to selling that 9.0 today for about $1400 or a little less.That profit margin is just about every grade across the board except 9.8`s and 9.6`s, you either break even,make $100 or lose about a $100, a very consistent book pricewise these last 6 years. So if you spent $1000 today on a HULK #181,there is a very good chance you will get your $1000 back in the next 5 years or come close according to the GPA Analysis.

I thin Hulk 181 is a great book to own. Maybe common but definitely not overrated! It's an important book IMO and great cover!

yep but if you buy one copy today for a thousand dollars, the odds are it will still be worth a thousand dollars 5 years from now, the profit for this book is 9.6 and up.

Same thing can be said for Giant Size X-men 1 and X-men 94, you can spend your grand on them now and only expect that same grand back after holding them for the next 5 years. They are great books but the profit has sailed on these if now bought at current market prices.

I thin Hulk 181 is a great book to own. Maybe common but definitely not overrated! It's an important book IMO and great cover!

Very true. It's one of the major "keys" of that era and there are not that many major "keys" from then.

yep but if you buy one copy today for a thousand dollars, the odds are it will still be worth a thousand dollars 5 years from now, the profit for this book is 9.6 and up.

Same thing can be said for Giant Size X-men 1 and X-men 94, you can spend your grand on them now and only expect that same grand back after holding them for the next 5 years. They are great books but the profit has sailed on these if now bought at current market prices.

I can tell you grades of 9.8 are decreasing. 2 years ago 13 copies existed now it's well over 30 and it looks like no end of books being submitted. While a great book and a key, I think it will suffer the same fate as GSX 1 and XMEN 94. High grade books that have hit a peak and are slowly coming down. Just recently a GSX 1 9.6 sold for $1800 when it used to sell for 3+k. Now it could be the economy, i personally think there is a ton of books out there that are either being submitted or pressed to higher grades and affecting the price downwards.

Not everyone buys books for profit though either. I would just want it to hold it's value. If it goes up great! I personally would want one to enjoy it for what it is though.

and thats what counts, I have a Shogun Warriors 1 and Godzilla 1 9.8`s and I don`t expect profit for them, I enjoy them as nostagia from my childhood. (thumbs u

Not everyone buys books for profit though either. I would just want it to hold it's value. If it goes up great! I personally would want one to enjoy it for what it is though.

and thats what counts, I have a Shogun Warriors 1 and Godzilla 1 9.8`s and I don`t expect profit for them, I enjoy them as nostagia from my childhood. (thumbs u

Best way to collect! (thumbs u

Sometimes my friends like to see my comic book key issues.

Showing them a Hulk 181 would be far more dramatic than showing a Showcase 22 even though showcase is more valuable. Just shows how mainstream Wolverine has become. That alone helps illustrate how stable the book is in any grade.

Hulk 181 is one of those books that new collectors in the hobby will be drawn to right away!

hulk181-25.jpg

:cloud9:

Even better when I had Herb sign it back in Baltimore '08! While I was thoroughly jazzed when I picked up my ASM 129, only my Incredible Hulk 181 and GS XM 1 really gave me the shivers when I opened the package and saw them there. :grin:

At the end of the '80s, Hulk #181 busts a serious move. :gossip: Are the speculators speculating?

Big-time! 1989 was when the sportscard dealers enveloped the funny book market, bringing their "rookie card" mentality to comics and driving first appearances into the stratosphere.

YEP....during the INDEPENDENT CRAZE of the mid-80's HULK 181 was $40.00

Here's a graph using cloudofwit's information he posted...

Hulk181_OSPG.jpg

I think it's very interesting to see the very dramatic increase in OSPG value when the X-men movie came out in 2000.

i think it has less to do with the movie and more to do with slabbing comic

books. the slabbing craze created a mini boom out of thin air that is very similar

to other collectibles that went through a slabbing phase. Once the market became

saturated with enough graded examples the prices plummeted. After that

phase of enough slabbed material getting into the market did certain material hold

its value and resume an upwards trend. A lot never did recover when discussing

coins.

but that is my opinion only. others may disagree. i am sure the movie did not

hurt things and helped accelerate it.... but the timing is suspicious.

edited to add: if that chart reflected cgc graded copies that sold at auction the spike

would be even more dramatic. say a 9.4 with white pages... let alone a 9.8.

Here's a graph using cloudofwit's information he posted...

Hulk181_OSPG.jpg

I think it's very interesting to see the very dramatic increase in OSPG value when the X-men movie came out in 2000.

:whatthe: Nice chart! If I was called upon to do that it would've been completed by Overstreet #50. :insane:

The #39 price might actually be $1550. In the bronze age trend section, it states that the NM- value went up from 1450 to 1550 that year. It looks like it wasn't updated in the price guide section.

Nice catch.

Best way to collect! (thumbs u

I remember in 1999 telling Bob Storms and Ted Van Liew that when CGC opens Hulk 181 will sell for $1000.

They laughed at me and then Bob had a record sale of one just after CGC opened.

hm