• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Signature Series Jan 2010 - Present Q & A Thread

490 posts in this topic

Okay, my turn to ask a question. Forgive me if it's posted somewhere else, but I'm too lazy to look. It's Sunday, my I don't have to run day. Can anyone sitting at the CGC booth witness a sig or does it have to be an official Sig Series event? All of my other books I've sent to be done by others, This time I'll be taking them myself. :foryou:

If CGC has a booth at an event they can witness signatures. Go to the CGC booth and tell them what you want signed and they will let you know the proper pocedure. Many live signings are different. They may just have someone go with you or they may have multiple people wanting the same signature. Best to go to the booth first.

Sorry I was late to the party. I guess I'll just put this right here.

The CGC Signature Series is the leading & most trusted authentication service in the hobby for a reason. With our program you can be 100% sure the signature is authentic. We are proud of what we built, as are many of the people on this board & in this hobby that have contributed to it's growth, integrity, acceptance and market strength. If we didn't see it get signed, it doesn't get the prestigious CGC Signature Series label. Everything else is just a COA to us.

Hope that helps.

I have the entire run of The Punisher Mini-Series (Issues 1-5), every issue autographed by Mike Zeck. Guess I won't be able to get the yellow label on any of them! :P

That doesn't stop you from getting a Yellow label, it just stops you from getting a Yellow label as they sit. If you get Stephen Grant to autograph books, following the appropriate SS rules, you will get a Yellow label for those books, with the existing Zeck signatures being treated as unwitnessed and therefore as defects.

We all have many books (I have two longboxes) that were signed before the program was up and running. :foryou:

additionally, a person in this situation could get Zeck to sign the books again, this time with a CGC Witness. As stated above, the original signatures would be treated as defects.

I have the entire run of The Punisher Mini-Series (Issues 1-5), every issue autographed by Mike Zeck. Guess I won't be able to get the yellow label on any of them! :P

That doesn't stop you from getting a Yellow label, it just stops you from getting a Yellow label as they sit. If you get Stephen Grant to autograph books, following the appropriate SS rules, you will get a Yellow label for those books, with the existing Zeck signatures being treated as unwitnessed and therefore as defects.

We all have many books (I have two longboxes) that were signed before the program was up and running. :foryou:

additionally, a person in this situation could get Zeck to sign the books again, this time with a CGC Witness. As stated above, the original signatures would be treated as defects.

Couldn't an unwitnessed sig be more of an honorable mention, rather than a defect? Seems kinda harsh.

sorry if this has been asked, but if I'm a paid member, am I eligible for the membership discount on CGC SS submissions? Or only if I fill out the form online ahead of time?

sorry if this has been asked, but if I'm a paid member, am I eligible for the membership discount on CGC SS submissions? Or only if I fill out the form online ahead of time?

Neither - paid memberships don't get a discount on SS submissions.

If you're dropping off blue label books at at show, you need to fill out the online forms ahead of time to get the 10% discount.

So a myself and a buddy of mine went to Star Wars Celebration and got a Star Wars #1 (1977) in mint condition signed by 7 of the big actors. We then paid PSA/DNA who was the only authentication service present at the convention to authenticate the autographs (a total cost of $90 on top of $505 for the autographs). From what I am reading on this forum, is it true that the book still does not qualify for the Signature Series? That was the main reason we wanted to get the signatures in the first place as well as the authentication.

On a side note, we did hear that Joe Pierson was present at the convention but he wasnt "working" the convention. He was just there. After asking countless numbers of people if they knew where to find him, everyone gave us a deer in the headlights look. This is super disappointing. Is there any way for us to get the signatures authenticated in a different way that would qualify for CGC Signature Series? Thats a lot of money to be wasted on autographs.

Unfortunately not through CGC for Signature Series. There were several CGC faciliators accepting books before the show and at the show other than Joe including Rich Henn and Torrey.

In the future I would suggest calling CGC/Mike Balent at 1877NMCOMIC x198 before any show that CGC is not officially attending but that you are attending to find out what CGC facilitators will be accepting requests.

On the bright side you have a great book, you got to meet and get autographs by some movie legends.

I honestly am sick to my stomach over this now. Such a disappointment. We figured authentication was authentication especially with a reputable company with a booth at the actual convention.

What about books like Star Wars #1 (2015) signed by John Cassaday that were numbered and signed as a promotion sent with a COA by Diamond?

I honestly am sick to my stomach over this now. Such a disappointment. We figured authentication was authentication especially with a reputable company with a booth at the actual convention.

What about books like Star Wars #1 (2015) signed by John Cassaday that were numbered and signed as a promotion sent with a COA by Diamond?

Those nor dynamic forces or anything like that will be yellow label sig series. Has to be a CGC witness for it to count.

Nothing wrong with authentication, if that's what you're into. But it's obviously not the same thing as the witnessing, which is cgc signature series

I apologize if this has been asked before, but if I want to get a celebrity to sign a book at a Wizard show, will I need to get a witness to wait in line with me to get the signature?

I've never used CGC at a convention before so I don't know the proper procedure.

Forgive me if this has been asked, but I am not able to read all the previous questions.

I met Stan Lee Last Oct 25th 2014 in Spokane at PAC CON. He signed an Amazing Spiderman for me, and then they immediately put me in a line for CGC to either ship my book off to be graded or buy a $10 Stan Lee hologram to be stuckon the back of the bag. I opted for the sticker due to lack of cash on me, but would like to see if its even eligible to get a signature series label?

Here is a scan of the sticker a CGC rep helped me put on the bag.

I couldn't do it because I'm disabled.

If its not eligible should I still send it in to be graded, or should I just keep the foil sticker on the bag, and forget getting it graded? My local Comic Shop Dealer Craig said that it would get a lower grade if I did. I'd just like a bit more advice on this.

Thanks for any help.

D

Click on the pics a few times they will get bigger, and the wrinkles on it are just the bag.

IG_zpssgjfrm2a.jpg

IMG_0003_zpsgkstfc4c.jpg

Okay thanks.

If its just going to get a low grade I think I will keep that foil sticker they sold me on it.

Thanks for the heads up.

CGC had nothing to do with that foil sticker.

Your book isn't eligible for a Signature Series label - if you submit it, it'll come back in a Qualified label slab with the notation "name written on the cover". The unverified signature won't affect the grade in a Qualified label slab.

CGC was sharing a booth 3 feet behind Stan Lee himself that day. Their was a girl selling them for who I could only assume was either working for Stan Lee or CGC, so thats why I was curious.

Thanks for the extra bit of info though I do appreciate it. I will probably just go buy another comic with his sig on it so I have one thats raw, and one thats sealed up.

Happy 4th!