• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Signature Series Jan 2010 - Present Q & A Thread

490 posts in this topic

CGC Amends Signature Series Program

New Signature Series Director named; Tools launched on www.CGCSignatureSeries.com

Effective January 1, 2010, signings must be witnessed by CGC employees to qualify for the CGC Signature Series labels. Since inception of its innovative witnessed signature authentication program, CGC has allowed deputized witnesses to observe signings on its behalf. Now, signatures can no longer be witnessed by non-employee authorized witnesses to qualify for this designation. Witnesses must be either full or part-time employees of CGC.

This change was prompted to streamline the management of the CGC Signature Series program. As CGC Signature Series expanded into collectible fields other than comics, only CGC employees served as witnesses. This change now folds comic books signings into a single program framework.

Paul Litch, CGC Vice President, comments that, “The appreciation and respect that hobbyists have for the creativity and artistry of the individuals behind comic books is really unmatched by other collectibles fields. The popularity of CGC Signature Series is in many ways a testament to the wonderful character of comic fandom. We believe that these changes to the Signature Series program are necessary for it to expand while maintaining the highest level of integrity and quality of the product.”

Throughout the year, CGC will be introducing new tools to better publicize signings and to make it easy to submit comic books for the CGC Signature Series. The first of these tools are now available on www.CGCSignatureSeries.com. Upcoming events and specific submission instructions including pricing and due dates are posted in a dynamic chart. Biographies for participating creators are also available and linked to their respective events.

To facilitate the management of the Signature Series program both internally and with submitters, CGC has named Joe Pierson as the new Signature Series Director. A long-time CGC employee and former comic book shop manager, Pierson is intimately familiar with the operational details of the Signature Series program and has already overseen a number of tradeshow signings.

Since CGC attends nearly all major tradeshows where the vast majority of signings take place, the impact of this change will be relatively modest for most submitters. Submitters will be able to drop off books at the CGC booth to be signed during tradeshows or send books to a facilitator who has arranged for a CGC employee to attend a signing – just as before. CGC will also continue its work directly with creators who wish to participate in CGC Signature Series signings. Many creators prefer CGC-certified signed comic books because they provide assurance that their fans are purchasing items with authentic signatures in the secondary market.

Questions or comments can be addressed to CGC Customer Service at 1-877-NM-COMIC by email to signature@cgccomics.com.

When you consider that the only reason CGC has has been able to fulfill the SS requests at the larger shows (WW Chicago, NYCC, etc) is by having the independent witnesses run around like mad, getting books signed all throughout the show, how do you honestly think that CGC will be able to accomplish this going forward when all books must be witnessed by a CGC employee?

It's not like CGC brings 50+ employees to these shows - and you still need people manning the booth, accepting books, handing books back, dealing with general questions about CGC, etc - so what guarantee do we have that you'll actually be able to get our books signed under the new SS program?

I'm wondering how this will be accomplished as well. During Baltimore 2009 show, after paying for a sketch, I had the artist hold the book so I could get a CGC employee. I went to the booth and explained that I had a sketch cover for grading, the employee seem really annoyed at being pulled away from the crowd of people at the CGC booth. I want to believe that you folks have taken these types of situations into consideration and will have the personnel available to address demand.

When you consider that the only reason CGC has has been able to fulfill the SS requests at the larger shows (WW Chicago, NYCC, etc) is by having the independent witnesses run around like mad, getting books signed all throughout the show, how do you honestly think that CGC will be able to accomplish this going forward when all books must be witnessed by a CGC employee?

It's not like CGC brings 50+ employees to these shows - and you still need people manning the booth, accepting books, handing books back, dealing with general questions about CGC, etc - so what guarantee do we have that you'll actually be able to get our books signed under the new SS program?

In the past when you dropped off books at the CGC booth, it was never guaranteed that we could obtain all 100% of the signatures. We always gave it our best effort and succeeded a lot of the time, thanks to everyone working together.

The same system will be in effect for shows. The only change is that CGC will coordinate more closely with people who solicited to get books done (former witnesses now providing a Signature Series Service) so that an employee accompanies them to witness the signature. There will be more employees, whether they are part-time of full-time, at shows to help facilitate obtaining signatures.

Submitters will be able to drop off books at the CGC booth to be signed during tradeshows or send books to a facilitator who has arranged for a CGC employee to attend a signing – just as before.

Is there any way we can send books directly to CGC to get SSd?

Submitters will be able to drop off books at the CGC booth to be signed during tradeshows or send books to a facilitator who has arranged for a CGC employee to attend a signing – just as before.

Not at this time. :sorry:

Make sure to check http://www.cgcsignatureseries.com/Events/SigSeriesEvents.aspx for Signature Series Information. All details should be there for approved signing events.

So only cons that CGC is at will have the chance at getting a SS series book now? That kinda sucks as some of the smaller cons have great sig oppurtunities.

Check out http://www.cgcsignatureseries.com/Events/SigSeriesEvents.aspx for Signature Series Information. All details should be there for approved signing events, even shows that CGC will not be set up at (Like the Carbo Amrory Show on Feb. 27th). We will always be updating this Event Calander.

So how does this affect previously done ss books from getting sigs added? A lot of the artists and writers are not always at the same shows or if they are, they're there on different days.

It seems that everyone thats taking signatures submissions now just seem to be taking raw or universals. Several have stated specifically that they can't take yellow labels. Its hard to imagine time being taken at a show (at the cgc booth) to crack, fill out paperwork, and prep books that need additonal sigs, when the rush is on to get sigs on previously prepped raws or universals. Will it eventually be possible to get signatures added again?

Thanks,

-Joe

So how does this affect previously done ss books from getting sigs added? A lot of the artists and writers are not always at the same shows or if they are, they're there on different days.

It seems that everyone thats taking signatures submissions now just seem to be taking raw or universals. Several have stated specifically that they can't take yellow labels. Its hard to imagine time being taken at a show (at the cgc booth) to crack, fill out paperwork, and prep books that need additonal sigs, when the rush is on to get sigs on previously prepped raws or universals. Will it eventually be possible to get signatures added again?

Thanks,

-Joe

You can still have signatures added to Yellow Label books, just as it has in the past. The only change is that the CGC employee must be present to crack the book out of the holder.

Some signings are being done directly with the artists through the mail with proper legal documents being filled out. These mail away signings are primarily the ones that cracking out previous yellow labels will not work.

Not at this time. :sorry:

Make sure to check http://www.cgcsignatureseries.com/Events/SigSeriesEvents.aspx for Signature Series Information. All details should be there for approved signing events.

This is something I dont understand. If its going to be just cgc employees who are handling the signings then why do we have to send them to someone else who has to collaborate with a cgc employee in order to get the books signed? Wouldnt it be easier to cut out a middle person and deal directly with cgc?

This is how I take it.

You can't send books to CGC. So unless you are going to physically be at the show you have no other option to get books signed. You need to go through a facilitator who will have an employeed CGC person witness them for you.

This is how I take it.

You can't send books to CGC. So unless you are going to physically be at the show you have no other option to get books signed. You need to go through a facilitator who will have an employeed CGC person witness them for you.

Which is no different from what a non-attending person had to do anyway!

I dont know if this has been answered , sorry if it has, what about sketch covers? We set it up, ask the artists not to sign til you go grab the CGC person..... what if you want to get it inkd by another artist at the same con and then colored at the same con as well. What will be the process to that?

I dont know if this has been answered , sorry if it has, what about sketch covers? We set it up, ask the artists not to sign til you go grab the CGC person..... what if you want to get it inkd by another artist at the same con and then colored at the same con as well. What will be the process to that?

Sketch covers during a show will remain much the same. You will need an employee with you to pick the sketch up from the artist. If you want it inked, then colored, a CGC employee will need to be present for the pick up and transport as well.

That is good question, I have SS sketch covers that I only want inked..does that mean that I have to wait for a show, it can't be done in a private signing or anything like that, with more time available....

Let's try and do this like the old Q & A thread. Joe, Gemma, Harshen & I will try and answer all the questions and we'll edit the content of the thread to stream line the comments.

I have SS sketch covers that I only want inked..does that mean that I have to wait for a show, it can't be done in a private signing or anything like that, with more time available....

A show is your best bet. If it is a private signing, it can work with some coordination. It will not work for mail-away signings at this time.

This is something I dont understand. If its going to be just cgc employees who are handling the signings then why do we have to send them to someone else who has to collaborate with a cgc employee in order to get the books signed? Wouldnt it be easier to cut out a middle person and deal directly with cgc?

There is a lot of prep work that goes into getting a book signed. Slabs are cracked, window bags are made, books are placed into window bags, and books are organized. Then there are lines to stand in. All of these steps are also done VERY CAREFULLY to ensure the best grade on the books. Simply put, the CGC doesn't have the time or resources to do all of it themselves. If you've ever been to a show where the CGC is set up, you'll see they barely had a spare second when witnesses were around. If they started taking on all the extra tasks, there wouldn't be time for anything else.

Besides, most facilitators are former witnesses who you can trust to treat your books as if they were their own. :)

(thumbs u