• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Signature Series Jan 2010 - Present Q & A Thread

490 posts in this topic

At a convention, would I be able to deliver a sketch cover to an artist, have it sketched and then have someone from CGC ( a CAW or whomever) pick it up from the artist in order to have it graded?

Yes, just like before.

So if the artist signs the finished sketch cover and the witness isnt there to see it but picks it up from the artist, it still gets the yellow label??

Before didnt the witness have to see the actual signature take place

Will something be worked out so that books that are already SS graded will be able to easily be re-submitted for additional signatures? I have a book that I'd like to get 3 or 4 sigs on but doubt that all the creators I want to sign it will be in one place at the same time.

It shouldn't be too difficult with some coordination. For example, our Contract Authorized Witness for LBCC on Feb 20th is going to send a small number of books to our Contract Authorized Witness at the Carb Show in NYC by Feb 27th. We worked with the CAW's for both shows & the Facilitators for both shows & it worked out.

In some cases, the books might need to be held at CGC and special arrangements will need to be made in order to do that. An instance like that would be if you have a book getting done at 1 show and your other artist won't sign until 3 months later, then we'll have to make different arrangements.

Now your books are already certified Sig Series, right? All that needs to be done in that case is the books need to be cracked out by or in front of an employee (employee includes Contract Authorized Witnesses).

I understand what you're saying but from everything I've read on the boards it seems like none of the facilitators are currently accepting yellow label books. I'd like to think that it's just a temporary thing so they can experiment with it a bit to determine the logistics of it being that CAWs are limited right now from what I understand.

CGC Amends Signature Series Program

New Signature Series Director named; Tools launched on www.CGCSignatureSeries.com

Effective January 1, 2010, signings must be witnessed by CGC employees to qualify for the CGC Signature Series labels. Since inception of its innovative witnessed signature authentication program, CGC has allowed deputized witnesses to observe signings on its behalf. Now, signatures can no longer be witnessed by non-employee authorized witnesses to qualify for this designation. Witnesses must be either full or part-time employees of CGC.

This change was prompted to streamline the management of the CGC Signature Series program. As CGC Signature Series expanded into collectible fields other than comics, only CGC employees served as witnesses. This change now folds comic books signings into a single program framework.

Paul Litch, CGC Vice President, comments that, “The appreciation and respect that hobbyists have for the creativity and artistry of the individuals behind comic books is really unmatched by other collectibles fields. The popularity of CGC Signature Series is in many ways a testament to the wonderful character of comic fandom. We believe that these changes to the Signature Series program are necessary for it to expand while maintaining the highest level of integrity and quality of the product.”

Throughout the year, CGC will be introducing new tools to better publicize signings and to make it easy to submit comic books for the CGC Signature Series. The first of these tools are now available on www.CGCSignatureSeries.com. Upcoming events and specific submission instructions including pricing and due dates are posted in a dynamic chart. Biographies for participating creators are also available and linked to their respective events.

To facilitate the management of the Signature Series program both internally and with submitters, CGC has named Joe Pierson as the new Signature Series Director. A long-time CGC employee and former comic book shop manager, Pierson is intimately familiar with the operational details of the Signature Series program and has already overseen a number of tradeshow signings.

Since CGC attends nearly all major tradeshows where the vast majority of signings take place, the impact of this change will be relatively modest for most submitters. Submitters will be able to drop off books at the CGC booth to be signed during tradeshows or send books to a facilitator who has arranged for a CGC employee to attend a signing – just as before. CGC will also continue its work directly with creators who wish to participate in CGC Signature Series signings. Many creators prefer CGC-certified signed comic books because they provide assurance that their fans are purchasing items with authentic signatures in the secondary market.

Questions or comments can be addressed to CGC Customer Service at 1-877-NM-COMIC by email to signature@cgccomics.com.

Hi Paul,

Glad to see this.

Please tell me though, how exactly does a "Contract Authorized Witness" differ from a "deputized witness"?

And, what restrictions (if any) are placed on the reselling of SS books by a "Contract Authorized Witness"?

Thanks in advance,

David

Hi Paul,

Glad to see this.

Please tell me though, how exactly does a "Contract Authorized Witness" differ from a "deputized witness"?

And, what restrictions (if any) are placed on the reselling of SS books by a "Contract Authorized Witness"?

Thanks in advance,

David

We pay Contract Authorized Witnesses for their time and they have no monetary interest in the books being signed.

Contract Authorized Witnesses may not witness their own books at a signing they work and they may not commercially sell books from a signing they worked. However, if they have an opportunity to buy a book from a signing they worked and a reasonable span of time has elapsed, CGC would have no problem with that.

I have a question about cracking Signature Series slabs. If I have a CGC SS sketch cover and I want to crack it to get another sketch on the back cover, and have it regraded for SS, what sort of steps do I need to follow?

I have a question about cracking Signature Series slabs. If I have a CGC SS sketch cover and I want to crack it to get another sketch on the back cover, and have it regraded for SS, what sort of steps do I need to follow?

The Contract Authorized Witness or a full time CGC employee needs to crack the book out of the holder in order for it to maintain its Signature Series Status.

This can be coordinated with CGC without much difficulty. PM Joe or me and we can work out the details.

The Contract Authorized Witness or a full time CGC employee needs to crack the book out of the holder in order for it to maintain its Signature Series Status.

This can be coordinated with CGC without much difficulty. PM Joe or me and we can work out the details.

This goes for all SS books that a person wants to get a signature added on to it?

I guess my question is more about how the cracked book can get to the artist. Does the witness have to take it to the artist personally or?

I don't understand your question. Does a book need to be witnessed? Yes.

Hey Paul,

I love the new rules. I owe you an apology. <3

Of course we'll see how it goes at one of the bigger shows. :shy:

Eric, Bill and Bradley at MegaCon were fantastic as usual. Mike and Renee were really cool, too. They were great CAWs. (thumbs u

Hey Paul,

I love the new rules. I owe you an apology. <3

Of course we'll see how it goes at one of the bigger shows. :shy:

Eric, Bill and Bradley at MegaCon were fantastic as usual. Mike and Renee were really cool, too. They were great CAWs. (thumbs u

I have to second this. The CGC crew were fantastic. I never had to wait for any of them and when the actual signings were going on they helped take books in and out of bags, helped box back up to move the line along. I was impressed. Not sure if I can speak for the others, but I was able to obtain signatures for 100% of the books I remembered to bring. Giordano was the only no-show but I had no control over that.

Thanks for putting up with me all day Friday guys and Gals.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I skimmed the thread and didn't see it, though.

I'll even give 100% specifics on this one. I want to get a book signed at Wondercon and add another two signatures at C2E2. I don't think the turnaround from WC to me to facilitator will be fast enough to allow this to happen, so is there a way CGC or a facilitator or a CAW can keep the book for the second show?