• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chew Set Scoring - input requested

192 posts in this topic

• Administrator

I have had a few requests to change the scoring on the Chew set. These are the facts/assumptions I have been given to consider. Feel free to discuss and I will amend the scores by the end of the week.

Chew #1

First Printing should be more valuable?

Larrys/Limited Edition should be less than reprints?

Reprints should be higher?

Chew #2

Second Printing is difficult to find/more valuable?

Are these temporary trends...or do you feel the books will retain these values in the long run?

Any other feedback or suggestions besides the above???

Thank you!

The Larry's #1 are actually supposed to have a lower print run than the second printing of Chew #1, I'm not sure about the third and fourth printings. Having said that though, the second printing was actually lower than the first printing so maybe that should score higher?

Tough call on that one.

I don't mind either way.

The Larry's #1 are actually supposed to have a lower print run than the second printing of Chew #1, I'm not sure about the third and fourth printings. Having said that though, the second printing was actually lower than the first printing so maybe that should score higher?

Tough call on that one.

I don't mind either way.

I didn't know that :ohm

Tough call on that one.

I don't mind either way.

First printing was around 6,000, second was around 3,000.

Tough call on that one.

I don't mind either way.

First printing was around 6,000, second was around 3,000.

Yes, but subsequent printings are almost always lower than the first printing. First prints IMHO should always be worth more than subsequent printings. The demand and sell-out of the first prints is the reason for subsequent reprints.

The first print should be worth more than the reprints despite print runs But the second printings of both 1 and 2 plus the Larry's editions are very hard to get and especially in higher grades, just not that many copies out there (shrug)

I would hope these stay as is. Larry's edition is a lower print run and although #2 2nd print is a little tougher to find it's a reprint with little to no change to the cover.

My main thought on the current scoring is that the Art of Chew (not the Larry's Art of Chew Variant) point value needs to be increased. There were only 100 of those made and had a complete sell through at SDCC 2009 by Saturday, whereas every other book has at least a couple thousand copies made.

according to release date

Chew #1, 1st print, June 2009

Chew #1, 2nd print, July 2009

Chew #1, 3rd print, Aug 2009

Chew #1, Larry Comics , Aug 2009

give me one good reason why this larrys comics should be worth more then 1ST PRINT #1

Its just a store a comic store trying to publisize his or her comic shop... No differant then the Wonderworld's Barrack The Barbarian Devils Due #1.... Was a comic shop who paid to have his logo on the cover which was 3rd print.

Here is what I had sent to Gemma last night about this topic.

Evening Gemma.

A few of us were discussing a potential points discrepancy in the Chew thread.

Chew 1 Larry Comics Edition

40 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 1st printing

48 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, Larry Edition

When you look at the publication dates on Chew, Larry Comics Edition came out around the same time as Chew 1, third printing.

Chew #1, 1st print, June 2009

Chew #1, 2nd print, July 2009

Chew #1, 3rd print, Aug 2009

Chew #1, Larry Comics , Aug 2009

These issues are reprints with the Larry's Comics logo on the cover. That store has also done this with Stuff of Legends, Invincibles, Image United and other books. When you check GPA, they go for much less than 1st printings. For some reason in the registry, the Larry's Comics printing is worth more points than a 1st printing of Chew #1.

I'd like to recommend Chew 1 Larry's Edition be the same points as a third printing, as Chew 1 first printing is much more sought after. I'd even suggest making Chew 1 first printing worth more points than it is right now as someone paid $1,150 for a CGC 10.0 on eBay recently.

Chew 1 CGC 10.0, 1st printing

Just a suggestion to help keep things even and fair to the original issues.

All the best, and thanks again for all your support.

Nick

I would hope these stay as is. Larry's edition is a lower print run and although #2 2nd print is a little tougher to find it's a reprint with little to no change to the cover.

I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree.

Those Larry's Comics Editions are later printing variants, and in no way more valuable than first printings of the original #1.

So should Invincibles #1 Larry's Variant be worth more money than the first printing of #1? They do not sell for more as they are reprint variants, and perceived as such by the market.

vinci #1 9.8 larrys edition 80.00

vinci #1 9.8 first print 300 to 500

Exactly!

The market is clearly stating it even recognizes Larry variants as just that. But don't get me wrong, they are still sought after by collectors/fans as they have a different cover.

But in no way is someone going to pay $1,150 for a Chew 1 Larry's Comics CGC 10.0 like a buyer did on eBay for a Chew 1 CGC 10.0 first printing.

These are later printing variants.

the only thing I would change is the points for the Larry's Edition.. I too stand to lose valuable points.. I just dont see how this would be worth more then a first print #1

This takes away from the people who set out and bought the first print of #1

I'm with Bcruze on this one. I'm happy for the Larry's edition to be higher than all the other variants but I just can't see why they should be worth more points than the first print. Either raise the first print or lower the larry's, I would go with the latter.

I would also expect the Art of Chew SDCC to be worth more points than it is seeing as only 100 were printed and I's very hard to get.

Those Larry's Comics Editions are later printing variants, and in no way more valuable than first printings of the original #1.

So should Invincibles #1 Larry's Variant be worth more money than the first printing of #1? They do not sell for more as they are reprint variants, and perceived as such by the market.

This was before you pointed out to me that Larry's was worth more points than the #1 on the registry.

Why not just flip the scoring scheme between Larry's and the #1 1st print?

This was before you pointed out to me that Larry's was worth more points than the #1 on the registry.

Why not just flip the scoring scheme between Larry's and the #1 1st print?

:idea:

I think you are going down the right path. Let's see how the points work out on all #1s.

48 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 1st print

32 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 2nd print

32 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 3rd print

40 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, Larry's Comics Variant

32 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 4th print

hm

This could still come across as being unfair to the other printings because a later printing variant is assigned 8 more points due to a different cover. But to me, that still adds value for a completest as I would want it if collecting all cover versions.

What about 34 points for the Larry's Variant, and Chew 1 1st print is boosted to 60 points as that book is very hot? This way, we make the Larry's Variant stand out, but none of the later printings should even be close to the points value of a 1st printing?

Would that be fair?