• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chew Set Scoring - input requested

192 posts in this topic

48 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 1st print

40 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, Larry's Comics Variant

32 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 2nd print

32 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 3rd print

32 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 4th print

I like the Larry as #2 because I consider it a variant as opposed to a 2nd, 3rd etc printing. I know technically it was released later but alot of variants are. There is also more of a difference between Larry and the 1st print as opposed to subsequent printings and has the lowest print run.

As for increasing #1 1st print: If the change mentioned is made then 1st print 9.8 would be more than a 9.9SS of later printings but less than a 10.0. This makes sense to me. Thoughts?

Edited by branget

I like the Larry as #2 because I consider it a variant as opposed to a 2nd, 3rd etc printing. I know technically it was released later but alot of variants are. There is also more of a difference between Larry and the 1st print as opposed to subsequent printings with the lowest print run.

As for increasing #1 1st print: If the change mentioned is made then 1st print 9.8 would be more than a 9.9SS of later printings but less than a 10.0. This makes sense to me. Thoughts?

Sorry, a little confusion. Gemma would adjust all points across when a change is made. I'm just using the 9.8 as a baseline of discussion. In NO WAY will a SS be worth less than a Universal Label.

As far Larry's Variant, if we can lock that down as more than the later printings, that makes sense to me, but more along the lines of 34-36 points as it is just a cover difference.

I like the Larry as #2 because I consider it a variant as opposed to a 2nd, 3rd etc printing. I know technically it was released later but alot of variants are. There is also more of a difference between Larry and the 1st print as opposed to subsequent printings with the lowest print run.

Sorry, a little confusion. Gemma would adjust all points across when a change is made. I'm just using the 9.8 as a baseline of discussion. In NO WAY will a SS be worth less than a Universal Label.

As far Larry's Variant, if we can lock that down as more than the later printings, that makes sense to me, but more along the lines of 34-36 points as it is just a cover difference.

I still like Larry as halfway between 1st print and reprints for a 9.8.

If the 1st print and Larry changed places then a #1 1st print 9.8 (48 points) would be more than a reprint (2nd,3rd....) 9.9 SS (44 points) but less than a 10.0 (60 points). This makes perfect sense to me.

Edited by branget

If the 1st print and Larry changed places then a #1 1st print 9.8 (48 points) would be more than a reprint (2nd,3rd....) 9.9 SS (44 points) but less than a 10.0 (60 points). This makes perfect sense to me.

Oh, I get what you are saying now.

In other words, yes, we are using a 9.8 for a baseline, but once the points went into place a Chew 1 CGC 9.8 1st print shouldn't be worth more than a Chew 1 CGC 10.0 Larry's Variant?

Is that the concern?

Oh, I get what you are saying now.

In other words, yes, we are using a 9.8 for a baseline, but once the points went into place a Chew 1 CGC 9.8 1st print shouldn't be worth more than a Chew 1 CGC 10.0 Larry's Variant?

Is that the concern?

Something like that yes. When I look at the 2nd and 3rd prints I don't think a 10.0 should be less than a Chew 1st print 9.8. Even in sales these would be comparable. For this reason I don't want to raise the value of a 1st print 9.8.

So far though I think we (and most agree) on changing the Larry and certainly flipping the Larry and the 1st print accomplishes that. Can we agree on that and look at the remainder of the list of suggestions?

Edited by branget

So if we flip the points, it looks like this now.

Chew 1, 1st print

48 points - 9.8

53 points - 9.8 SS

60 points - 9.9

66 points - 9.9 SS

90 points - 10.0

99 points - 10.0 SS

Chew 1, Larry's Variant

40 points - 9.8

44 points - 9.8 SS

50 points - 9.9

55 points - 9.9 SS

75 points - 10.0

83 points - 10.0 SS

Sounds like we are getting somewhere here.

I have had a few requests to change the scoring on the Chew set. These are the facts/assumptions I have been given to consider. Feel free to discuss and I will amend the scores by the end of the week.

Chew #1

First Printing should be more valuable?

Larrys/Limited Edition should be less than reprints?

Reprints should be higher?

Chew #2

Second Printing is difficult to find/more valuable?

Are these temporary trends...or do you feel the books will retain these values in the long run?

Any other feedback or suggestions besides the above???

Thank you!

So the suggestions above are

1) 1st Printing s/b more valuable

2) Larry's should be less than reprints or more?

3) Chew #2 2nd print is difficult to find/ more valuable?

I think we've answered 1 and 2. What about #3?

Also add

4) Art of Chew more points?

Any other suggestions?

I don't think just flipping Chew #1 points w/ Larry's points is accurate Larry's is no different then a second third or fourth print. What makes this book so special to be worth more points? Nobody has given a single valid point yet!

I don't think just flipping Chew #1 points w/ Larry's points is accurate Larry's is no different then a second third or fourth print. What makes this book so special to be worth more points? Nobody has given a single valid point yet!
It isn't. We're just keeping the conversation going to work out other items.

I still feel Larry's Variant is a later printing variant cover, and it should be worth between 34-36 points at the 9.8 level.

But we can't lock down the other items if we get fixated on one topic. I am sensitive to the fact after checking the registry someone has a Larry's Variant CGC 10.0, and that is why he is being EXTRA PROTECTIVE.

:baiting:

It isn't. We're just keeping the conversation going to work out other items.

I'm still not sold on just flipping the points and calling it good, but to finalize anything there has to be some give and take.

I still feel Larry's Variant is a later printing variant cover, and it should be worth between 34-36 points at the 9.8 level.

But we can't lock down the other topics if we get fixated completely on one topic. And I am sensitive to the fact after checking the registry someone has a Larry's Variant CGC 10.0, and that is why he is being EXTRA PROTECTIVE.

:baiting:

:roflmao: Not at all or I'd be fighting for a Chew #2 2nd Print ;)

Bobby

Valid points

1) Larry's is the lowest print run

2) GPA is higher than the reprints

3) It is not a reprint but a variant. If Image had released it as a sketch variant using the same print run it would be worth more than the #1 1st print.

4) Larry's version is more of a change to the original (no colour/sketch) than the reprints.

4) Larry's version is more of a change to the original (no colour/sketch) than the reprints.

Jeff, I'm not sure I agree with this logic.

It came out the same month as the third printing. How could it be a variant of the 1st printing?

Jeff, I'm not sure I agree with this logic.

It came out the same month as the third printing. How could it be a variant of the 1st printing?

That's how I see it. The printing date doesn't enter the equation for me. If there had not been 2nd, 3rd and 4th printings then would it not be seen as a variant? When a Comicon edition is printed later is it not a variant? Dynamic Forces variant? I currently collect Crossed and they are releasing variants much later than the 1st print. I don't see the relevance of the printing date.

Even if this somehow nullifies #4 the 3 other points still point to Larry's having a higher point structure than the reprints.

That's how I see it.

Here's the challenge, and why we need more folks' feedback than yours, mine, and Bobby's.

How you see it versus how Bcruze, Gaz2810i, and I see it has a huge difference of opinion.

So three people see this as a later printing variant. You see it as a variant of the 1st printing when it came out the same time as the #1 third printing - that isn't making sense to me.

But please don't think I'm saying that to be rude - I'd rather keep this discussion professional as it is a very interesting topic.

1) Larry's Comics Variants are reprints, and the market recognizes them for this.

2) The prices are substantially less for Larry's Variants compared to 1st printings.

How are you seeing this as a variant of the 1st print again?

But we are in total agreement a Larry's Variant does have a different cover with this issue, and that is why I think it should be worth 34-36 points, which puts it just above a reprint issue. But in no way is it a variant of the 1st print.

That's how I see it.

Here's the challenge, and why we need more folks' feedback than yours, mine, and Bobby's.

How you see it versus how Bcruze, Gaz2810i, and I see it has a huge difference of opinion.

So three people see this as a later printing variant. You see it as a variant of the 1st printing when it came out the same time as the #1 third printing - that isn't making sense to me.

But please don't think I'm saying that to be rude - I'd rather keep this discussion professional as it is a very interesting topic.

1) Larry's Comics Variants are reprints, and the market recognizes them for this.

2) The prices are substantially less for Larry's Variants compared to 1st printings.

But substantially more than Reprints. The only point you make for it not being a variant is the timimg. Why is the timing the important issue? What would you consider the Larry if there had not been 2nd, 3rd and 4th prints?

But substantially more than Reprints. The only point you make for it not being a variant is the timimg. Why is the timing the important issue? What would you consider the Larry if there had not been 2nd, 3rd and 4th prints?

Not sure the reprints would matter if the variant was released around the same time as the Chew 1 1st print. Then I would say this is like a dealer's variant, kind of like (and don't shoot me for this) Spider-Man Platinum 1 and all the iterations of covers that came out at the same time. Then based on the number of books you bought, the dealer received a variant.

Larry's Variant in no way fits that bill, and was just a promotion book used by a very savvy market-focused store to get their name out on the street. Even better they had the creator add a new cover to add value, but it came out after the fact - not at the same time as the Chew 1 1st print.

That's how I see it.

But we are in total agreement a Larry's Variant does have a different cover with this issue, and that is why I think it should be worth 34-36 points, which puts it just above a reprint issue. But in no way is it a variant of the 1st print.

Considering I have no bone in this discussion as I don't collect slabbed Chew, here's my $0.02:

The Larry's #1 is a variant of issue #1.

It's no different than the Invincible #1 Larry's variant, the Stuff of Legend #1 Larry's variant, and all the other Larry's variants - Larry's Comics themselves refer to these books as variants, and so does everyone else selling these books, so I think the precedence is there to call them variants. Whether they came out the same week as the regular #1 is irrelevant.

Considering that Registry point values are based on value & rarity, it makes no sense, however, for the Larry's #1 to be worth more points than a regular #1 - but it does make sense for the the Larry's #1 to be worth more points than the 2nd, 3rd, etc print of the regular #1.

This is a wierd one for me because I can actually see both sides. If there wasn't a 2nd or 3rd print before this was released there would be no argument that this was a variant as this has been the case in the past. However, it came out after a couple of reprints and this is where it become murky. As stated I believe the book should be worth more points than the reprints, considering the points made above, but I do not believe it should be considered a straight variant and therefore should not be worth more than a first print. Just throwing this out there but how about putting both the first print and the Larry's edition on par, so they are both worth the same amount of points while keeping everything the else the same (shrug)

Considering that Registry point values are based on value & rarity, it makes no sense, however, for the Larry's #1 to be worth more points than a regular #1 - but it does make sense for the the Larry's #1 to be worth more points than the 2nd, 3rd, etc print of the regular #1.

We already established a Larry's Variant should be worth more points, Michael. I agree with you on this.

But that book came out months afterwards, and around the time there were multiple reprints. How could that not factor in?

We already established a Larry's Variant should be worth more points, Michael. I agree with you on this.

But that book came out months afterwards, and around the time there were multiple reprints. How could that not factor in?

Because the publishing date is irrelevant when you're talking about variants. Look at Dynamic Forces - pretty much every single variant they do is released at a later date than whatever book the DF variant is based on.