• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I should have been collecting Jade instead of funny books

27 posts in this topic

well looking for her age he might of not been dead for too long...im sure he could of sold it off before his death....if all it meant was money to them..i mean im all for selling some so it can improve her life but i still would keep a few pieces to keep in the family

from the sounds of things they might had some sense it was worth a lot.... 50k? 100k? when you get into 8 and 900 thou for the collection its a little harder to say no. who knows what the family arrangement was besides. bottom line I can't imagine dad unless he was a real hardspoon having a problem with the sale although as you say it would have been nice to keep one cheap piece as a momento (although how do we know they didnt)?

She seems so calm...I would be crazy excited! :insane:

A lot of people that go to these antique roadshows are fully aware of what they have, and are trying to show off. They're usually accompanied by a long story of a grandfather or uncle traveling to far-off lands and coming back with some collectible the family used as a candy bowl, or some such fiction.

That's why the best segments are of these same "potential showoffs" being given their comeuppance by the appraiser telling them they own $10 fakes.

One guy told the appraiser he bought a set of civil war guns at a flea market for $30 or something, and looked like he was going to have a heart attack when he was told they were all fakes. The guy turned purple, and the appraiser tried to calm him down by saying "At least you only paid $30", to which the guy turned ever darker, making it obvious he had paid a very significant sum for the fakes and was there to show off.