• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

Hi, I don't currently own a Showcase #4 however I would very much like to. Looking at CGC 1.8 or less with no restoration and preferably complete. I am in the UK, so apart from the big auction sites and eBay I don't know of many other places to look. Just wondered if there were any under the radar online shops that may have something in stock. Thanks all!

7 hours ago, Shaun C89 said:

I haven’t been watching this book much lately, so I was surprised to see recent sold prices. Quite a few red arrows on GPA. I also took a look at BB28 and that book has fallen quite a lot too. Now is a good time to pick up a copy. 

Genuinely surprising. I see this book, along with BB28, JL1, and a few others, as very undervalued atm. But I generally believe that to be true of all Silver Age DCs, with a possible Bat-centric exception.

There were two books that went through Heritage last month and both went the day Trump tweeted he was going to ramp up tariffs and the stock market did a big dive. I was in Australia and fast asleep when this happened so I don't know if the tweet was before the auction or after. I had a tracking bid on the 4.5 and much to my surprise I now have a new book.  I think this was driven up big by speculation. I think it is a major key as are all the other major keys. Hell it started the whole super hero silver age !!!!! But I also think a lot of Marvel guys saw it move back in 2014-2015 and got on board. It is not on their "Loved book list"  and has not got much more steam to drive it, as that movie just keeps stalling and even a low grade book is a lot of money. So I think many of them are now trying to move out of it to something with more upside, especially in books closer to their heart.

and I am very happy to own my new book as Flash is very close to my heart.

12 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

And the ship continues to sink.. sold for less than what it sold for back in 2015 according to GPA.

Whoever paid $70k for a 6.5 copy last year must be in his pants :eek:

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

And the ship continues to sink.. sold for less than what it sold for back in 2015 according to GPA.

This price was so good last night, I was almost considering bidding on it myself (would love a copy of this book!)

On 11/22/2019 at 11:28 AM, Dark Knight said:

I recognize that it's considered the start of the silver age, however the discrepancy between Showcase 4 and Showcase 22, which features an equally impressive character, is just far, far too vast. A 6.5 Showcase 22 is an $8K book.

On 11/24/2019 at 4:47 PM, Howling Mad said:

I recognize that it's considered the start of the silver age, however the discrepancy between Showcase 4 and Showcase 22, which features an equally impressive character, is just far, far too vast. A 6.5 Showcase 22 is an $8K book.

I think it is numbers. It's number are closer to golden age than silver age. CGC 491 total and 344 unrestored. Batman 1# has 266 total and 118 unrestored. Even Groot's first appearance a book that was basically cast off in low mid grade through out the years still has 342 unrestored and they have not been the subject of slabbing long. SC22 has 1,055 so basically twice as many but unrestored of 863, 2.5 times as many. Flash has sold better than GL through out its time.  GL was canned in the early bronze age and was lucky to get that far according to people in the industry. I agree that GL has more growth but doubt long term it will change things much. That said I can see SC4 sitting where it is for a while. If looking over this thread there was huge churn on this book in the last few years, a real pass the parcel, musical chairs feel to it.. Music has stopped a lot of people who don't Love Flash are sitting on copies they had hoped to flip. Whether they keep sitting or try and get out now, but for so few copies and considering a lot of dealers are sitting on theirs, there has been a lot coming to market. I think this will go on for a while and that will keep people sitting and waiting for the bottom.

10 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I think it is numbers. It's number are closer to golden age than silver age. CGC 491 total and 344 unrestored. Batman 1# has 266 total and 118 unrestored. Even Groot's first appearance a book that was basically cast off in low mid grade through out the years still has 342 unrestored and they have not been the subject of slabbing long. SC22 has 1,055 so basically twice as many but unrestored of 863, 2.5 times as many. Flash has sold better than GL through out its time.  GL was canned in the early bronze age and was lucky to get that far according to people in the industry. I agree that GL has more growth but doubt long term it will change things much. That said I can see SC4 sitting where it is for a while. If looking over this thread there was huge churn on this book in the last few years, a real pass the parcel, musical chairs feel to it.. Music has stopped a lot of people who don't Love Flash are sitting on copies they had hoped to flip. Whether they keep sitting or try and get out now, but for so few copies and considering a lot of dealers are sitting on theirs, there has been a lot coming to market. I think this will go on for a while and that will keep people sitting and waiting for the bottom.

You make a really strong point, I forgot to look at the census numbers. That definitely gives it a bit more weight.

From what I understand copies aren't moving. We're seeing sale prices lower than they've been in a number of years, it's definitely a lead weight at this point. All of that said, it's a classic and always will be.

On 3/22/2020 at 5:29 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

Newest member of the club.  I posted about this copy in CG if anyone is interested.  

95A0B4FD-6816-4A13-BAD5-DDF0C54C736D.jpeg

In the last 4+ years of looking,I can't remember a raw SC4. Even returns with half covers are slabbed. I have one with almost no front cover slabbed. Wow. Have you actually sat down and read it !! Did you get it at a Con buy a dealer or auction ??

9 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

In the last 4+ years of looking,I can't remember a raw SC4. Even returns with half covers are slabbed. I have one with almost no front cover slabbed. Wow. Have you actually sat down and read it !! Did you get it at a Con buy a dealer or auction ??

Hi Terry,

I read it the day I got it, which was a couple weeks ago.  A dealer friend of mine told me he had just gotten it in, so we made a deal.  The cover is detached and almost completely split.  The interior is actually quite nice, complete and attached.