• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,403 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, grayzr said:

My one true grail.

A book that I have wanted as a child and still do this day everytime I see that cover it puts a smile on my face.

Same for me.  That is why it was my first big book to ever buy.

4 hours ago, Sam I am said:

Same for me.  That is why it was my first big book to ever buy.

Nice

Unfortunately for me I did not have the kind of money to buy it even back then.

Had a chance in 07 but it was restored.

Looking back I should of just pulled the trigger as it was an amazing deal at the time.

13 minutes ago, SC22 said:

SC4 is still holding it's ground...and it is still doing quite well.

23 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I sold a 5.5 for $30K a few months ago. This is right in the ballpark.

What was the page quality on that one you sold?  The HA was OW-W.  I'm trying to keep track of recent sales for myself.

There's a 2.5 copy being auctioned up by SparkleCity.  Book sold previously raw ungraded as a VG- with offwhite/white pages just last month and now it's graded as a 2.5 with light tan-offwhite.  Talk about "ouch" for the current owner reselling right away..

10 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

There's a 2.5 copy being auctioned up by SparkleCity.  Book sold previously raw ungraded as a VG- with offwhite/white pages just last month and now it's graded as a 2.5 with light tan-offwhite.  Talk about "ouch" for the current owner reselling right away..

How much was the last sale?  Seller might be fine, Sparkle usually gets high #s on their auctions.

1 hour ago, Knightsofold said:

How much was the last sale?  Seller might be fine, Sparkle usually gets high #s on their auctions.

They do have some Sparkle magic on all their big sales for sure.

5 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

I think around 9500? Just checked bidding looks like its doing quite well. Wondering why owner would flip it that quickly. 

Thinking out loud ... owner bought it from Sparkle and was disappointed with the grade so they agreed to auction it off for them to hopefully reduce any negative feelings.

I know if I bought a raw book from a dealer and it came back a full point lower I wouldn't be handing it over to them for sale without some sort of "extra" negotiation.

5 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

Thinking out loud ... owner bought it from Sparkle and was disappointed with the grade so they agreed to auction it off for them to hopefully reduce any negative feelings.

I know if I bought a raw book from a dealer and it came back a full point lower I wouldn't be handing it over to them for sale without some sort of "extra" negotiation.

I think it's also the buyer's responsibility to ask questions and have a rough idea on how to grade comics, especially a comic of this magnitude. If you're going to be spending on an item like this, you better do your homework first. Like with most dealers, they cannot guarantee what a 3rd party grading company would grade the book, which I think is fair game.

I asked Sparkle City questions about the book and felt that based on their responses, that their assigned grade was a bit high. I actually had the book graded at a GD+ so was accurate there but didn't expect the light tan pages, which was way off from their offwhite-white pages they had it at.